2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's the point of doggy poo bags?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 7:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, this is a rant of sorts  :p

More and more, I am seeing doggy poo bags left on the side of trails. I understand that folks plan on picking them up on their way back from their hike. But all too often I see poo bags that have been there for a long time. Really, folks, is it that hard to pick up the bags as you leave? I think I'd rather see the dog poo rather than a bag full of dog poo.

Okay, I feel better now.... :)

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not just pick them up when they do the doo? It seems rather irresponsible not to do it at the time. I understand the "convenience" factor, but it seems tacky to be leaving poop baggies along the trail.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, sure. Start a dog thread and leave us holding the bag.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to live across from a park in Salem, Oregon.  One of my neighbors took to leaving the baggies next to a tree.  No one was picking up those bags, as no city workers were assigned to litter patrol.  I nailed a sign to the tree, asking folks to carry the bags home with them.  When that failed, I set up a camera in my house, connected to my computer, with full view of the tree.  Once I determined which neighbor was guilty of this dasterdly deed, I picked up all of the bags and deposited them on the front porch, with a sign telling them to put them in their own garbage.  Never had the trouble again.

As for a resolution to your rant, I have no idea, but I sympathize with your troubles.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a related note, why do the bears have to crap on my walkway?  There's plenty of yard all around, not to mention woods.  Before you know it, we'll find out the Pope's not Catholic.
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 6:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, it could be that the bear's catholic and it's the pope that's crapping on the trail.  I'd think he'd have someone to carry that out for him...
 Post Number: 7
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The point is to take one of the most highly biodegradable substances on earth and put it in a plastic bag to preserve it in a landfill for 500 years.  That way no one will step in it.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Oct. 05 2013, 4:25 am)
The point is to take one of the most highly biodegradable substances on earth and put it in a plastic bag to preserve it in a landfill for 500 years.  That way no one will step in it.

Sort of my thoughts.  I know in heavily used areas the poop would be a serious problem, but there has to be a better way!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's the point of dogs? Just the result of our inability/unwillingness to make meaningful connections with other people?
 Post Number: 10
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Oct. 05 2013, 10:35 am)
What's the point of dogs? Just the result of our inability/unwillingness to make meaningful connections with other people?

No, you didn't, you DID NOT!!

Do we have an award for troll of the month, or even troll of the year??

Looks like the winner to me!  LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Oct. 05 2013, 12:21 pm)

Better yet, what's the point of trails?  If you can walk in the wilderness without a trail then maybe you should stay on sidewalks.
 Post Number: 12
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nm
 Post Number: 13
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[quote=MsDoolittle,Oct. 05 2013, 4:36 pm]Nm[/quote]
Yeah! That's right.  You better back off Doolittle! :angry:

--------------
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 05 2013, 4:35 pm)

(wwwest @ Oct. 05 2013, 12:21 pm)

Better yet, what's the point of trails?  If you can walk in the wilderness without a trail then maybe you should stay on sidewalks.

It's gonna be a long winter.
 Post Number: 15
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My dog can sh*t where ever it wants to. It's my right.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just like our bears! And our Big Foots!  (Should that be Feet??)

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 05 2013, 7:09 pm)

Joking, right?

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 18
splinky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dogpeoplehavesonesortofselfentitlementandtheirshitdoesntsmell. Andtheylettheirdogsshitanddontpickitup. Andtheyneverobeytheleashlawsanddontcareaboutothers.
ShitinmyyardandIwillputasluginyourdogshead!
BOOM!
 Post Number: 19
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 05 2013, 5:09 pm)

It's not just my dog - I sh!t wherever I want to. Don't like seeing me reading my paper and doing my business on your front yard...guess it's time for you to move!  :p

Ffrreeeddooommm...yelled in my best Mel Gibson voice
 Post Number: 20
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not walking my dog anymore.  first, because he ain't my dog, he's my daughter's, and second, because I found a better way to take him out to poop on the neighbor's lawn:

Post Number: 21
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Oct. 05 2013, 5:36 pm)

Joking, right?

When I throw my bait out there, I usually make it so obvious that only the dumb ones bite...
 Post Number: 22
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(splinky @ Oct. 05 2013, 8:15 pm)

Dogpeoplehavesonesortofselfentitlementandtheirshitdoesntsmell. Andtheylettheirdogsshitanddontpickitup. Andtheyneverobeytheleashlawsanddontcareaboutothers.
ShitinmyyardandIwillputasluginyourdogshead!
BOOM!

Yep, right before you're arrested.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Oct. 05 2013, 7:25 am)

Wrong!    Its so I draw pictures on the side of you garage and not get it on my hands.  :p

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 24
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Oct. 06 2013, 3:12 pm)

Wrong!    Its so I draw pictures on the side of you garage and not get it on my hands.  :p

Ha ha.  I ain't got no garage.  You must have been next door.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exactly. I'm not packing any poo. Mine or any animals. I see in the near future, people coming across bear scat and packing it out. Its madness, people.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 26
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm okay with folks taking a stick and flipping their dog's poo off the trail. Personally, I wouldn't want to carry around a bag of poo, either. But I hate those  poo bags when they are left and never picked up.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just for the sake of accuracy, the regular, intentional doggy poo bags at the Dog Park, are biodegradeable, and that is what most responsible dog owners use.

There are, of course, some old fashioned penny pinchers who use plastic grocery bags, and most of those will preserve the dog poo for a millenium or two.  Should be an interesting puzzle for archeologists in 10-12,000 years.

Wouldn't you love to hear their theories and the rationalizations??  LOL

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
26 replies since Oct. 04 2013, 7:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's the point of doggy poo bags?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions