2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rent or Own...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you rent or own your current residence?  I rent a small cottage that I really like and I have no plans on buying around here.  I enjoy living here; however, it is a really overpriced area and I do not see myself living here as I have eight years to early retirement and plan on taking it and getting a new job.  Plus, I prefer sunshine to rain.  And suffering from wanderlust you never know when RS is just going to pick up and move...

So, where are you at and do you rent or own your place.  Do you plan on staying in the area you're in now or moving?

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and the bank own my place. I've been in the same house for 20 years this year. I retire in about 12 years and plan to keep it that long. I may sell it then and start renting. I won't have to worry about upkeep of a house that was built in the mid-40's.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right now I'm renting (doesn't hurt that the local govt is going crazy on the property taxes), .... trying to decide to take off on some long trails and international trips (in which case just store everything) or settle.  

Just found a neat personal finance article on the same topic: - Advice: spend money on where you spend the most time (HuffPo)..  

Kind of makes sense if you are going to away all the time; thought about owning and then renting out while away via a local manager, but ....  All the landlords I know are looking for that perfect tenant who is single (but rents a 3 bdrm), no pets, travels a lot = low maintenance requests, and does not need a parking space since a flying unicorn arrives to whisk him/her to work .

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Own 4.  Rent out 2 in Boca Raton,  Summer cottage in the Smokies, live in Maine.  Goiing to sell the big house in Boca soon and keep the other for winters  I guess.  Looking for a house on the west coast of Maine now.  Skiing, lake house.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Granddad came to homestead in 1909, been here almost  105 years, hope that some of us stay for another 105.

We leave when they carry us out.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 05 2013, 5:14 pm)
 Looking for a house on the west coast of Maine now.  

Main has a west coast?  Am I missing something here?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 05 2013, 7:23 pm)

Jer it's a local term for the mtns on the western border.   Nh and Canada.  Super pretty lakes, mtns etc...

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've tried both but prefer freeloading...

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Own, settled down when we realized this was probably the best place to grow my career, plus I love the climate - high desert, but very close to the mountains and also within 2 hours of the beach :)  We're in the best school district around and in a friendly neighborhood to raise our kid.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Own. . . At least, we own the part the bank doesn't own.  Owning works well for us  as we like to be able to remodel the bits that annoy us :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Oct. 05 2013, 5:23 pm)

Well, remember Maine is "Down East!"

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I design and build my own... here's the one I just finished this summer. I designed it and built it solo (jobbed out a few things). It took me just over a year:

So, "yes" I own my own home and at age 52 don't plan on anymore solo building. I'm staying put in this one.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 05 2013, 11:04 pm)

(hikerjer @ Oct. 05 2013, 5:23 pm)

Well, remember Maine is "Down East!"

Yeah. Still trying to figure that out.  Up north is down east?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 06 2013, 8:04 am)

It's an old nautical chestnut... remember the Maine Coast runs more to the East than it does to the North:

Down East, The Magazine of Maine explains the origin of the term in New England: "When ships sailed from Boston to ports in Maine (which were to the east of Boston), the wind was at their backs, so they were sailing downwind, hence the term 'Down East.' And it follows that when they returned to Boston they were sailing upwind; many Mainers still speak of going 'up to Boston,' despite the fact that the city lies approximately 50 miles to the south of Maine’s southern border."

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 06 2013, 10:32 am)

It's an old nautical chestnut... remember the Maine Coast runs more to the East than it does to the North:

Down East, The Magazine of Maine explains the origin of the term in New England: "When ships sailed from Boston to ports in Maine (which were to the east of Boston), the wind was at their backs, so they were sailing downwind, hence the term 'Down East.' And it follows that when they returned to Boston they were sailing upwind; many Mainers still speak of going 'up to Boston,' despite the fact that the city lies approximately 50 miles to the south of Maine’s southern border."

Well there ya go.  Thanks

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 05 2013, 7:26 pm)

(hikerjer @ Oct. 05 2013, 7:23 pm)

Jer it's a local term for the mtns on the western border.   Nh and Canada.  Super pretty lakes, mtns etc...

Thanks for clearing that up.  Term I've never heard of before.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm paying the bank to live here.

Planning to make my last payment many years from now in loose change.
 Post Number: 18
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

your tips
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

own, no bank involved
 Post Number: 20
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We own. We're going to retire in about 10 years, then we hope to sale it and move into a RV. Looking forward to spring and fall here in Missouri, summers in Colorado, and winter where every it's warm....lol
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 06 2013, 12:34 pm)
own, no bank involved

Well duh... but that takes time for most mortals...

--------------
 Post Number: 22
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 23
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We own our home, but will probably try to sell it in the next year or so.  We have no plans to move out of the area, but would like to move out of this neighborhood and have a little more property in a more rural setting.  We'll buy our next home, and it will be the one we plan to stay in for the forseeable decades to come.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 24
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sold my last home in Oregon, and will begin to consider buying another one here in Florida.  Not sure about why.  I am 62 in another couple of weeks, and I will not see the next house free and clear.  So, I will be paying what amounts to rent, for a place I have to keep up.  I could rent something for a bit less, but it would not be as nice, or most likely what I want.  Such decisions.

When I was young enough to believe I would see it paid off, it made more sense to buy.  Now, I am not so sure.  I do like being able to do what I want without asking a landlord.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 25
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own, and for someone like me, buying a house was a huge mistake! I bought at the supposed bottom of the market. I love my house but miss the flexibility of renting. Am actually thinking about calling an agent this week to see about putting it back on the market so I can start looking for jobs out west.

I own property in Colorado where I plan to build a cabin, but other than that, I think I'll rent from now on.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 26
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Own -- housing was pretty inexpensive when we bought this 9 years ago, but it's gone up considerably, thanks to Hurricane Katrina -- even with the weak real estate market, my house is worth about 50% more than the purchase price.  I like owning because I can do whatever I want to the house and yard, plus I like having animals, which is not always possible in a rental.  I plan to stay in the area at least til I retire (if I ever get to retire!), if not longer, and that's at least 13 years from now.

Renting may be more common in other areas, but I only have a couple of friends in this area who rent.  ETA: Those friends have all just recently returned to the area and will likely buy something when the time is right.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 27
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 06 2013, 10:32 am)

Here in Canada, we refer to our eastern provinces as "Down east" as well.  Now I know why!

Neat
 Post Number: 28
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We rent. Partially because I have wandering feet, but also because my efforts to buy a home drove me batty for 3 years and I needed a break. Really, you can have everything and still have homeownership blow up in your face. Darnest thing... So, we rent and are totally enjoying our wee place at less than what other people pay in property taxes. Not a bad deal if you aren't too picky.
 Post Number: 29
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 5:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buying worked for me but many are happy to rent.
 Post Number: 30
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Renting right now, but I am looking at buying a place closer to my son now that I am not working seven days a week. It needs a lot of work, but it is livable and I can buy it with one payment.
40 replies since Oct. 05 2013, 4:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rent or Own...?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions