2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: It's Mine! All Mine!, I'm packing for BUTEDALE!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 12:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it had to happen someday. I was patient, I didn't burn any bridges, I made new friends along the way, and now Butedale is mine.

I'm leaving for Butedale sometime after the 23rd of this month, (after my mum heads back to Ontario after her visit), and this time, I'm there all by my lonesome. Well, me, my dog Bud, and Butedale's cat, Tiger will be there by our lonesome's. Lou, the current caretaker has had enough of the Winters there, and asked me if I wanted to take over. Well, Duhh! Anyways, it was about a week ago that everything was confirmed, and now I have to get an old engine-less cabin cruiser ready for the Ocean in less than 3 weeks. It needs lights, a radio, safety equipment, two outboards, two outboard mounts. (One for a 9.9, and one for a 50 hp.) All the through-hull fittings need to be sealed, etc, etc. With the help of a few friends it can (and will) get done in time, but man! Talk about short notice! One month to not only shop for and buy 6 months worth of groceries and sundries, but also having to refit an old decrepit cruiser too? Gaa! Don't get me wrong, It's for Butedale, so it's more than worth it, but wow, like, wow.

For those not in the know; this is Butedale.

Channel Mountains

Butedale Lake

Falls Above Butedale Lake

My Cabin

Instead of staying in the ~4000 sq. foot cookhouse during the Winter like the current caretaker does, I'll be staying in that little ~600 sq. foot cabin. I'll use probably less than 1/4 the amount of wood that the cookhouse needs to be kept warm. Plus, the view is better from the cabin. And it's closer to the powerhouse and the inverter that needs frequent resetting. And it has running water and a flush toilet! Woo-hoo!

I can't wait! But golly-gee-wilikers it's gonna be a mad push to get everything ready before November and bad weather.

Anyhoo, for those who've been following the "Butedale Saga" for the last few years; I freaking made it back! Yeah!!! And in less than 3 weeks I'll be making my first post from Butedale and Princess Royal Island, BC. (Yes, Butedale has satellite internet now. New owner is awesome!)

So that's the update, y'all. In three weeks or so I'm off to live the dream again. (Hmph! A second chance at a once in a lifetime opportunity. SOMEbody LIKES me!)

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck and have fun!
 Post Number: 3
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!!  Your new home looks perfect -- enjoy your dream!!  :)

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 3:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds really cool. I hope all goes well.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 6:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations you crazy ***!!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crazy cool, TJ.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right on!!!

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great.  Hope everything works out and you have a fabulous winter.  I have to admit, it has a real appeal to me.  Check in occasionally.  BTW, where exactly, is Butedale?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, it was before my time, but GBH gave me the background in this old thread.  Some pics are still intact.
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! You must have done something right!  Have a great winter, and glad you can stay in touch this time!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 11
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 12
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's always good to see a dream come true, again.  Enjoy and good luck!

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 13
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, congrats, man!! I dig the cabin. Much more cozy than 4000sq ft of space.
 Post Number: 14
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 3:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all! As you can imagine I'm pretty stoked! The short notice preparations I could have lived without, but what can ya do when your dream is dropped (for a second time) at your feet, and all you have to do to pick it up is run around like a crazy man for a while?

Ye know? All these years, and all these posts about Butedale and never once have I shown you what Butedale used to look like. (And why I gnash my teeth whenever I think about what's been allowed to be lost.)

So here ya's are.

The town from above. (1923 I believe)

Butedale from the harbor.  (30's or 40's)

The General Store / Post Office. (30's or 40's)

Butedale's Fishing Fleet. (30's or 40's)

Butedale from a ship at the docks.

About all that's left worth salvaging are the two remaining cabins, and the remaining chunk of one wing of the giant warehouse. And that's about it. Oh! And the powerhouse of course. That will still be standing in another hundred years. (Incredibly dense concrete.) Anyhoo, thank ya'all for the good thoughts! It's surely appreciated. And yeah, it's gonna be weird (in a good way) to be able to communicate with the outside world from Butedale. Ah well; I'll get over it, I'm sure. ;-)

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 15
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 4:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a few more shots of Olden Day Butedale.

Looking "uptown" from the dock.

Looking down on the town from partway up the wooden pipeline.

It's remarkable; now'days you can't even tell that there was ever a clearing along the route of the pipeline.

Another shot from further up the pipeline.

A visiting Steam Ship.

Another Steamer.

More to come...

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 4:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And some more.

More Harbor Shots.

So much gone. So much. Hard to believe. But, there's enough left to keep me alive and happy, and that's enough for me. I can't wait to get renovating and furnishing and decorating my lil' cabin! Gonna be SUCH a blast! Yeah!!! And my garsh, I'll be so much happier in the cabin than that behemoth of a cookhouse. Hmmm... Heat 600 sq feet or heat 4000 sq. feet. I do all the cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking, hauling again, stacking again, and feeding the stove, so yeah, screw that cookhouse. I'll take my comfy cozy lil' shack, thank you!

Righty then. Thanx again, again!

Cheers!

--------------
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Cut as much wood as you think you'll need.  Then cut 5 times that more."

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats and enjoy!   Take loads of photos!

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats.  Here's some road music for your trip.

Who else stays up there year-round?

Post Number: 20
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats on the dream becoming a reality.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 21
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 07 2013, 7:24 am)
Who else stays up there year-round?

Absolutely no one.  That's part of what makes Cory's story so cool. :)

To address hikerjer's questions in Post 8, Butedale is the remnant of a pulp-mill town on the otherwise uninhabited Princess Royal Island (PRI) in northwest coastal British Columbia.  The mill shut down and the village was abandoned in the 1950s or 60s, and has been vacant since.  Most the buildings have rotted back into the forest, with only a few of them remaining.

(Princess Royal, seen here on Google Maps)

The land around Butedale is owned by a single owner now, and maintained by a single caretaker.  Almost all the rest of the 860 square mile island is Canadian federal land, completely uninhabited.  Some First Nations tribes have small reservations, although don't live there.  During the summer a small float-in fishing lodge takes residence on the other side of the island, but during the rest of the year, Cory is the only year-round resident of Princess Royal Island.

If the name of the island rings a bell, it's probably because it was (and still is) famous as the refuge of the rare and endangered Spirit Bear, an reclusive recessive white-furred black bear that lives on and around PRI.  A huge environmental battle was fought there in the mid-90s, around logging the old-growth forests there.  It's Cory's home now.  860 sq mi of some of the world's most spectacular wilderness, all to himself.  A nature lover could do worse. :)

A few pictures from our trip there in 2009.

Me/GBH, Lou (old caretaker), Cory/TJCeeJay (new caretaker), and Karl/boogie: hanging out at the Butedale docks

Butedale

Cory and Butedale Falls:

Karl at Anchor Lake:

Anchor Lake:

Packraft on Canoona Lake:

Congrats, Cory.  :)  I still do plan to come back and visit sometime.  I hope you've got room!

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome...What an incredible adventure.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 23
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is such a cool story. Stay warm this winter!
 Post Number: 24
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, a true dream.  Talk about a man cave.  ;)

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is Klemtu the closest civilization?  I see some signs of habitation on Gribbel Island, but not much.
 Post Number: 26
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 07 2013, 11:37 am)
Is Klemtu the closest civilization?  I see some signs of habitation on Gribbel Island, but not much.

Klemtu (to the South) and Hartley Bay (to the North) are the closest towns by boat.  Both lie along the main Inside Passage ferry/shipping route, which passes by Butedale (hence yachts, fishing boats and kayakers come frequently by there).  Neither are really big enough to count as a reliable "resupply area" though... they're both fairly isolated native villages (the main ferry lines stop at neither).  Kitimat to the northeast is the largest city with direct road access and hence, reliable supplies.

This is all from my recollection.  Cory could fill in if I'm missing something, or if things have changed since I recall.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Mike! (GoBlue) I couldn't have said any of that better myself. Though I probably would have used seventeen times as many words, and several more pages of photos, but didn't have to. Thanx!!!  :D

And thanx again, all! It's gonna be different being out there with only my dog and the town cat for company. But, being as my puppy Bud, (a Husky, Shepherd, Akita, Wolf mix) is completely bonkers, I shouldn't have any problems with keeping entertained. Back in the winter of 2011 only 3 or 4 boats stopped at Butedale between November and March, and I imagine this winter will be no different. So thank goodness that I got a crazy dog to keep me from getting cabin fever myself! And of course it will help enormously that there's satellite internet out there now.

As for Klemtu; they finally finished building the ferry dock, so the big ferries can stop there now. But still, unless I know the schedule for the food stuffs delivery days, then trying to get groceries at Klemtu would be a lesson in frustration.  So Kitimat it as. (It takes about 3&1/2 hours by boat at 30 miles per hour to get between Butedale and Kitimat. It's only 70 miles, but there are many converging channels and inlets in that area so the tides can be incredibly chaotic. (As in: water distance traveled = 90 miles, while physical distance between points = 70 miles.) Damn tidal currents! (Can be up to 6 or 7 knots in some areas there.) One tries to go with the tides, but it's pretty much impossible once you leave Princess Royal Channel.

And hey! Great eyes, Lamebeaver! The habitation on Gribbell is just a couple who live there year round and monitor whales with visual recordings and by recording the whales songs with underwater hydrophones.

So anyways,  after about 3 more weeks of frantic preparing I'll be setting off in a decrepit boat to a decrepit town in the middle of absolute nowhere, and by golly, it feels GOOD. Stressful to the max; but just knowing that the dream is less than a month away makes everything Okay. And having all the wonderful support from y'all here just makes it that much better.  :)

Later!

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're worried about wiring, the do make kerosene running lights....

Sounds like quite the adventure.

I like Honda outboards, but get whatever they service and have parts for up there, probably Yamaha or Evinrude.
 Post Number: 29
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 1:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 07 2013, 4:04 pm)
If you're worried about wiring, the do make kerosene running lights....

Sounds like quite the adventure.

I like Honda outboards, but get whatever they service and have parts for up there, probably Yamaha or Evinrude.

They sure do make Kerosene running lights for boats.

Den Haan Oil lamps

A bit pricey at $250+. You can get them with solid green or solid red lenses too. (And clear) These lamps put Aladdin Oil Lamps to shame. (Burn less fuel, and don't need an incredibly fragile rare earth mantle to produce 60+ Watts of light.) Yes, I've been drooling over those lamps for a while. Particularly with Butedale's power supply so tenuous. If the last section of wooden pipeline collapses then there won't be enough water pressure to run the turbine. And no turbine = no power. (At least until I can get my small crossflow turbine running off of all of the hoses and plastic piping I can find.

Anyhoo, yeah, that boat is gonna be fun to work on. (Not!) I have to seal the hole for the leg, I have to get built two outboard mounts, and attach them. All the through holes need to be sealed too. The outboards I'm getting are a couple of old Johnson's. (8hp and 40hp) And yeah, most outboards out this way are Yamaha. I'm even thinking of decapitating the boat. It has an add-on upper cabin thingy that look okay, but can't do anything for the boat's handling in the wind. So, off it goes I think. I need to attach a steering and throttle assembly, navigation lights, (Den Haan? Nahh!) attach an anchor, boarding ladder, safety equip... Holy carp there's just so much to do! Fortunately I don't have a fixed deadline to be there, but for me, The Sooner The Better.

Here's the boat I'm talking about. Some of you will remember it from a couple years ago when I posted a Butedale update when I was in town getting groceries.

I should take off that upper house, shouldn't I? I don't plan on living aboard it, so I don't really need the room.

Anyhoo...

Cheers!

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 5:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, now I need your help!

It's still for sale.

She's a wickedly cool little trailer sailer. She has a drop keel so she can be beached. She has by far the biggest cabin in her class of boat. She's designed for one person sailing. Heck She's just one cool little sailboat!

I've been drooling over her for a couple months, and never even considered buying her after I got the invite to go back to Butedale. However, I just calculated that with the sailboat being Ocean ready as she sits, and with the enormous amount of material and work that the cruiser needs, I think that the sailboat would be the better deal of the two. No effort to get her ready for Butedale except to load her with my gear and fuel. She's in infinitely better condition than the cruiser, and the absolutely only thing she has against her is speed. But even then, the cruiser running on an outboard alone wouldn't be able to make more than 5 or 6 mph faster than the sailboat.

So whaddaya think? The Sailboat? Or the Wreck? Dang! I should'a made this a poll!  :D

Later!

--------------
42 replies since Oct. 06 2013, 12:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply It's Mine! All Mine!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions