2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Utah Rocks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 5:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Feds tell Utah it will accept state money to open national parks

Budget shutdown » Details being worked out about how the deal would work — but gates could open by this weekend."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib....tml.csp

Maybe I'll uncancel my vacation plans!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who needs a Federal Government.
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bumknees @ Oct. 10 2013, 3:26 pm)
Who needs a Federal Government.

Who needs a Utah politician?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Suits me just fine.  Utah has enough in a rainy day fund to run the Parks.  Can't do any worse than the Feds, may do better.  S Utah economy relys on tourism a lot. Guess if you don't like how Utah runs things don't have to come....more space for me!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 10 2013, 11:09 pm)
Guess if you don't like how Utah runs things don't have to come....more space for me!

Scoot over a little; I'm coming, too.

Already canceled my plans with the group I was joining for five technical canyons, and now the air fare's through the roof for my original arrival date, but the backpacking part of my trip is ON, and later will be colder, which I love! :)
 Post Number: 6
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 10 2013, 10:09 pm)
. . . Utah has enough in a rainy day fund to run the Parks.  Can't do any worse than the Feds, may do better. . . .

Better? Only if you think selling American public lands to the Chinese or Saudis is better.

The last thing we need is Utah running anything it does not own. And it has never owned our public lands.

The New Dangerous Ignorance of American Public Lands — Field and Stream.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who needs a federal government? When Utah can open it for a whopping 10 days?

What are you going to do the other 355?

A temporary solution at best.

http://www.npca.org/news....-6.html

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh. First it was just the "four" NPs(um, there are five) until the government resumes, now it's everything, but for only 10 days. I'm glad they're making this effort, but now I feel teased!
Wish these jokers would make up their minds...
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Oct. 11 2013, 1:48 pm)
Huh. First it was just the "four" NPs(um, there are five) until the government resumes, now it's everything, but for only 10 days. I'm glad they're making this effort, but now I feel teased!

I think it might be on the assumption that the Feds will end the stupid lockdown sometime within the next ten days.  Just a guess anyway.

Here's hoping.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it goes longer than 10 days, the Utah legislature would have to meet an appropriate funds. Apparently there is enough in the Governors discretionary funds to take care of this initial period.
BTW, besides the 5 national parks, they are also opening Natural Bridges and Grand Staircase NMs, and Glen Canyon NRA.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I don't want to be negative about it, and I'm glad for their efforts. Still leery of locking in vacation and air travel plans, though.
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's interesting to read what National Park employees are saying about this on their Facebook page

I'm wondering about the rangers that work in multiple parks - when I was at NABR my supervisor also worked at HOVE - so how does that work? I think they need to end the shutdown and open all the parks again - this piecemeal approach is crap

--------------
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 10 2013, 9:09 pm)
Suits me just fine.  Utah has enough in a rainy day fund to run the Parks.  Can't do any worse than the Feds, may do better.  S Utah economy relys on tourism a lot. Guess if you don't like how Utah runs things don't have to come....more space for me!

Their only "skill" is going to be how to wire transfer the money to the Feds: once the check clears DoI will recall their personnel to operate their parks.

Utah's just running a computer to send the money order to the bank. I have high hopes they'll get it right.
:)
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Oct. 11 2013, 12:48 pm)

Well to Utah's defense they had to double-check their couch cushions to come up with the right amount since they have to front the entire amount to DoI before the federal government will recall their people.
 Post Number: 15
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Oct. 11 2013, 3:13 pm)
. . .  I think they need to end the shutdown and open all the parks again - this piecemeal approach is crap

+1

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 16
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You either don't know a lot about the state of Utah or don't care.
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wasn't the State of Utah recently making noise about wanting to get their hands on some other federal lands?
 Post Number: 18
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Utah wants to reclaim all federal lands, and is trying every approach under the sun to do so.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Oct. 11 2013, 6:34 pm)
Utah wants to reclaim all federal lands, and is trying every approach under the sun to do so.

And that makes me wonder if their offer is propped up by motives other than just wanting the parks open again.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 11 2013, 4:15 pm)

You either don't know a lot about the state of Utah or don't care.

Little bit of BS*** better know before you post.

I think I know a bit....... been here for 35 years by choice.  How about you??  
Utah ended fiscal year 2013 with a Rainy day fund is 255 MILLION dollars....they are tapping that.  Seems like I saw paying the Feds to open the Park for 10 days is like 1.9 million.  I think there is enough money sitting for a little more than 10 days if my math is right.  

Not many states have that much in reserve and how many states are crying bankruptcy because of the feds poor handling the ecomomy?  Seems like we manage our economy/state pretty well.  And no I am not republican.

A lot more people posting here that know less.
 Post Number: 21
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 11 2013, 8:30 pm)
. . . A lot more people posting here that know less.

What I know is that the federal lands in Utah never in history belonged to the people of Utah. The politicians who try to claim those lands have no excuse now to do so — other than a willingness to swipe what never belonged to them.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't think I said they did.  Federal lands belong to the USA people, unless the Fed sells or trades. Don't remember anybody saying to steal the land either.   Although the early days in the US, the US stole a lot from the Natives to get what we now have. And yes the US did buy some.

Maybe the Native Americans could run the Parks better if we give the land back.
 Post Number: 23
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 11 2013, 9:07 pm)
Don't think I said they did.  Federal lands belong to the USA people, unless the Fed sells or trades. Don't remember anybody saying to steal the land either. . . .

It's irrelevant whether you said that or not. Utah politicians with those intentions are not trustworthy to provide interim funding for national parks. We have a system for that. When they quit meddling with that system, the parks will be better off.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better research a little more ...... don't see complaints about the other states?

Passed during the last legislative session (2013), HB 148, of which Ivory is the author, calls for the federal government to hand over management of Utah’s public lands to the state by 2014. The bill is similar to one passed in Arizona and on the tables of lawmakers in Colorado, Idaho, Montana and New Mexico.
Nearly two-thirds of the land in Utah is owned by the federal government; about 30 million acres is at stake in HB 148. The bills in Utah and Arizona keep some land under federal control, such as national parks, military installations and most national monument lands — all of which, especially the parks, have become major rural economic engines. Grand Escalante Staircase, however, is not on the list.

here is another to look thru :  http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2013/HCR022.pdf

Looks like everything should have been transferred to all states west by some 1828 legislation. Evidently is was done for states EAST of the Mississippi.  Haven't found the 1828 bill yet tho still looking.  Kinda seems to me the ALL western states have something here.
 Post Number: 25
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 1:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Oct. 11 2013, 11:13 pm)
. . . Looks like everything should have been transferred to all states west by some 1828 legislation. . . .

Your myth. I know my way around the US Code. Let's see the law.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, so much for trying to inject a little positivity!
 Post Number: 27
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 2:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Oct. 11 2013, 11:18 pm)

Don't think I said they did.  Federal lands belong to the USA people, unless the Fed sells or trades. Don't remember anybody saying to steal the land either. . . .

It's irrelevant whether you said that or not. Utah politicians with those intentions are not trustworthy to provide interim funding for national parks. We have a system for that. When they quit meddling with that system, the parks will be better off.

Wow, paranoia run amok.  A check with the Utah governor's/comptroller's  signature is on it is is "not trustworthy".  And such a check that enables federal workers in federal organizations to do their jobs is ipso facto "meddling" with the system.

I say again, WOW.
 Post Number: 28
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 5:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Oct. 12 2013, 12:15 am)

(TravisNWood @ Oct. 11 2013, 11:18 pm)

Wow . . . WOW.

Considering how many times KenV uses the word "wow" in this forum, it is not surprising that he says nothing important between the two words — but rather merely his fabrication of distorted statements, inventions of his own mind and nothing more.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 29
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While tourism dollars are a factor here, the states listed don't give a rats *** about the furloughed workers. The main factor is political posturing.

I'm glad they've stepped up to the plate to open parks, I'm upset this has to happen in the first place, but I'm certainly not going to laud Utah like it's some savior.

I don't like the precedent and I don't like the motives.
 Post Number: 30
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ Oct. 12 2013, 9:01 am)
. . . I don't like the precedent and I don't like the motives.

Exactly.

And from the article linked in the opening post:
    "The agreement defuses a looming confrontation between the park service and some southern Utah counties whose elected leaders were bent on reopening park units with county sheriffs and personnel."
I see nothing benevolent about actions that on one hand abet the closing of national parks nation-wide, and on the other hand attempt to open only those in which locals have a deep financial interest — done under the threat of an illegal posse comitatus action directed by county sheriffs.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
48 replies since Oct. 10 2013, 5:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Utah Rocks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions