2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: My day hike in Sedona..., Fall in the Sonoran desert< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 7:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After forgetting June-August, I am starting to remember why I live in AZ...

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 3:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RandyPenny @ Oct. 11 2013, 6:22 pm)
Nice

Thanks - it was a beautiful day!
 Post Number: 4
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You captured the day beautifully!

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Oct. 12 2013, 7:50 am)
You captured the day beautifully!

Thank you - it was a perfect day! Although, a little crowded in Sedona - the trailhead parking lot was full by 8am due to the Grand Canyon closure. There has been lots said about those negatively impacted by the park closures, who I really feel for. But I don't think the folks in Sedona are complaining - I bet everyone there from tour comapnies to restaraunts are recording record sales.
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice.

The Sedona area is one of the most picturesque in Arizona. Looks like a perfect day, weather wise.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is about as fine a post as you'll ever see around here or anywhere for that matter. Thank you for sharing exquisite beauty.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really nice!
Flagstaff area is probably my favorite area....................Page, AZ., Kanab, UT.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all very much! Jimmy - Thinking of heading up to Flag for a day this week to check out their changing colors...although I haven't actually looked at the weather yet. It rained here in Phx a couple days ago, so hopefully the new color in Flag is not white...yet.

DC - Incredibly kind words, although seriously mistaken! Best post here was you recommending Willow Lake a couple years ago when my Teton plans fell through due to the late snow. I'll accept the alternates plaque in the ladies room.  :D
 Post Number: 10
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 3:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never heard that song before- music and video are very nice together.

Thanks for posting.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always look forward to your photos. I feel like I'm getting to see a movie I should pay for... for free.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Oct. 13 2013, 10:02 am)
I always look forward to your photos. I feel like I'm getting to see a movie I should pay for... for free.

That's a really awesome thing to say, I appreciate it! Photography has immensely increased my appreciation for the outdoors by making me look for the "small stuff", that others may walk by and not notice. It probably took me about 6-7 hours to hike a total of maybe 4 miles. But I feel like I got about 20 miles worth of enjoyment, glad others can enjoy it as well...
 Post Number: 13
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're a lucky guy, as long as it isn't June-August. :;):

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Oct. 13 2013, 1:18 am)

Thanks for posting.

I am glad you mentioned the song, because there are a few reasons why I chose it, other than I just really like it. It was the final song played on the last episode of "Northern Exposure", one of my favorite TV shows. The dieing of "the soul of the town" in the song reminds me of the inevitability of the changing of the seasons and seeing the life of the trees colorfully falling through the sky.

I had mentioned Willow Lake in my reply to DC, and the town of Crestone, CO reminded me of Cicely, AK in "Northern Exposure". Sedona used to be like that as well, but has lost a bit of its "soul" over the last 30 years or so in a way I hope Crestone doesn't. But like the changing of the seasons, sometimes it is just inevitable. But, I think there are a few things going for Crestone that will hopefully maintain it's simple beauty. The recent news of the group that trashed the Willow Lake area was a little disheartening...
 Post Number: 15
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Oct. 13 2013, 7:55 pm)

(RedDoug @ Oct. 13 2013, 1:18 am)

Thanks for posting.

I am glad you mentioned the song, because there are a few reasons why I chose it, other than I just really like it. It was the final song played on the last episode of "Northern Exposure", one of my favorite TV shows. The dieing of "the soul of the town" in the song reminds me of the inevitability of the changing of the seasons and seeing the life of the trees colorfully falling through the sky.

I had mentioned Willow Lake in my reply to DC, and the town of Crestone, CO reminded me of Cicely, AK in "Northern Exposure". Sedona used to be like that as well, but has lost a bit of its "soul" over the last 30 years or so in a way I hope Crestone doesn't. But like the changing of the seasons, sometimes it is just inevitable. But, I think there are a few things going for Crestone that will hopefully maintain it's simple beauty. The recent news of the group that trashed the Willow Lake area was a little disheartening...

I can understand the sentimental attachment to a song.

When I was going through the cancer part of my life I started listening to Kate Wolf.

This song has been a part of my life ever since:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNacOVmerhU

I live in Florence, SE of Phoenix. I hope to run up to Sedona soon myself.

You Tube link to Iris Dement "Our Town":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-pDSYPrio

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Oct. 14 2013, 1:00 am)
I can understand the sentimental attachment to a song.

When I was going through the cancer part of my life I started listening to Kate Wolf.

This song has been a part of my life ever since:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNacOVmerhU

You Tube link to Iris Dement "Our Town":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-pDSYPrio

I recall when you were going through that and hope it is all behind you, and nice song, I like that!

I live in Florence, SE of Phoenix. I hope to run up to Sedona soon myself.

You jumping the fence or are they letting you out on work-release? :D

Some bemoan that Sedona is "not worth going to" anymore, and they are greatly mistaken. It is a beautiful area with lots to experience - the town has just changed a bit over the years. That effects me none if I'm out on a trail somewhere!
15 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 7:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply My day hike in Sedona...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions