2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Summer Plans for 2014, NCT in Da UP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 2:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am still interested in a spring hike somewhere on the southern section of the PCT of CA

But I am now looking at a much less used trail in the UP of Michigan as my main hiking endeavor for 2014.  

The U.P. of Michigan section of the North Country trail is still wild and seldom used.  From St Igance to Ironwood I would  guess the trail is about 565 miles long.  No trail hiker community on this trail- hikers who do this section usually share the trail for the most part with no one.  

A section follows the shoreline of Lk Superior and you are almost always engulfed in forest.  

My mid August most of the biting bugs are gone and blueberries and thimbleberries are still out.  

I think this is what I want to do in 2014.  Should take about 45- 50  days- with a few zero days along the way.  Should be done by mid-October.  I am in no hurry and will start in late August or early September.

A 2nd car/partner would be helpful, but I know the UP well and can manage on my own.

I am retired, will be 65 next year and I have always wanted to hike the length of the UP.  I think 2014 would be a good year.  

-Trew (trail name)

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 6:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll have some beautiful areas to go thru like the Trap Hills, the Porkies, and Pictured Rocks.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't plan that far in advanace
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Oct. 14 2013, 6:51 am)
You'll have some beautiful areas to go thru like the Trap Hills, the Porkies, and Pictured Rocks.

I have hiked the NCT from St Igance to Munising in sections, and the Porkies and Trap Hills- indeed a true wilderness experience.  I have hiked about 1/3 of the CDT and find the UP as beautiful and challenging in its own way.  

I have roots in the UP and have dreamed for years of an end to end hike and I think this coming year will be it.

I got a great email back from the Marquette Chapter of the NCT to a question I sent them late last night.  I was impressed.

I am looking forward to this.

And long trips take planning.  No one gets up and walks hundreds of miles without a lot of pre-planning.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Oct. 14 2013, 2:46 am)
I am still interested in a spring hike somewhere on the southern section of the PCT of CA

But I am now looking at a much less used trail in the UP of Michigan as my main hiking endeavor for 2014.  

The U.P. of Michigan section of the North Country trail is still wild and seldom used.  From St Igance to Ironwood I would  guess the trail is about 565 miles long.  No trail hiker community on this trail- hikers who do this section usually share the trail for the most part with no one.  

A section follows the shoreline of Lk Superior and you are almost always engulfed in forest.  

My mid August most of the biting bugs are gone and blueberries and thimbleberries are still out.  

I think this is what I want to do in 2014.  Should take about 45- 50  days- with a few zero days along the way.  Should be done by mid-October.  I am in no hurry and will start in late August or early September.

A 2nd car/partner would be helpful, but I know the UP well and can manage on my own.

I am retired, will be 65 next year and I have always wanted to hike the length of the UP.  I think 2014 would be a good year.  

-Trew (trail name)

Sounds like a good one. Wife and I hit the UP (from No MO) twice this year for some long day hikes. Went there the year before too. Plan on a spring flower day hike trip this coming year in the UP (after we do the same in the Smokies) instead of a BWCA trip and we have decided to always hit the UP around Oct 1 to hike in the fall colors. Were really like the UP and your trip sounds like a good one. We did a bit of the NCT just out from the Porks this year.

I will also be 65 next year. I am kind of thinking I'd like to do the BW canoe trip I did in 1969 (my first). It was 8 nights with a couple of long portages (Tuscarora). Maybe not because my rotator cuff is messed up and flinging the canoe on my shoulders is kind of painful.

We are still making plans for next year. Right now we are leaning to a three week car/tent camping trip to the Glacier area. I know we'll hit the UP, Wisc, Tenn, and No. MN and something in the Rockies. We had to alter our Rockies trip this year because of the flooding to the Black Hills and good long day hike in the SD Badlands.
Although, this year we messed around in Oregon for several days and .....

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RedDoug,

I'm sure Doug Welker of the Peter Wolfe Chapter would be glad to help you with any information needed.

Myself, I'm noticing your traverse da U.P. idea and going hmmm. I've thought of it, and "owe myself a big one" but not sure that's the trip that's in my heart.

Schemes and dreams
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Oct. 14 2013, 3:40 pm)
RedDoug,

I'm sure Doug Welker of the Peter Wolfe Chapter would be glad to help you with any information needed.

Myself, I'm noticing your traverse da U.P. idea and going hmmm. I've thought of it, and "owe myself a big one" but not sure that's the trip that's in my heart.

Schemes and dreams

Eric, never got to meet you while I was in Michigan.  One of my disappointments in life.  

Consider that that the Michigan "UP Trail" is about a 100 miles longer than than the Colorado Trail- The "UP Trail" is truly a long distance hiking experience that is still in a primitive state of development.  My family roots are in the UP- I have been wanting to do a traverse of the UP for years, now is the time.  

And in my opinion, having hiked a lot of western trails, Lake Superior shoreline is as good as any  mountain vistas with easier ups and downs.

I plan to start around August 20- 25 and go into the first week or two  of October and hit the fall colors.

I am waiting for my maps to arrive now so I can begin the work of planning resupply points.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:)

Good on you, Doug.  I look forward to hearing more about it!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds pretty cool!

I wish I could join you. I thought I would retire this year but circumstances didn't work out. Maybe next year.

If not, is there a 'primo' 50 mile or so stretch you would recommend that could be done in less than a week?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Oct. 16 2013, 11:26 am)
Sounds pretty cool!

I wish I could join you. I thought I would retire this year but circumstances didn't work out. Maybe next year.

If not, is there a 'primo' 50 mile or so stretch you would recommend that could be done in less than a week?

I suppose everyone has their sections, but I  really like the eastern UP from St Ignace to Grand Marais, and particularly from the mouth of the Tahq River to the mouth of the Big-Two Hearted River.  

Pictured Rocks are a must for any UP hiker and then the western end of the UP has the Porcupine Wilderness State Pk which is great backpacking.  

Best time is Mid September to about October 10.  I plan to start around August 20.

Link to Tahq Falls:

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/tahqua/tahqua.html

--------------
 Post Number: 11
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doug, another Doug also has done a lot of the NCT including Michigan.  You may want to get in touch with him http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11305
 Post Number: 12
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, may want to check with NCThiker here. He's done most of it (here in MI.) I believe.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 13
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doug,

I'm leaning towards something with more of an off trail, routefinding component. Perhaps something similar to the Sierra High Route, but in a different venue.
 Post Number: 14
TrailDoctor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like an awesome adventure. We had planned to do a two stage NCT hike across the UP as well. Using the last 3 weeks of August 2014, and 2015. But it looks like its a wash for us now at the moment. I'm missing the stretch between Munising west to S. Laird rd. and then from M64 to the Porkies. Not really interested in going all the way to the Wisconsin border. I know they're working to get the trail through Craig Lake State Park, where it will come out at the Canyon Falls rest stop (US41), which will eliminate some of the current long road walks.  

Good Luck RD, hope it all comes together for you.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 3:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Oct. 23 2013, 6:45 pm)
Doug,

I'm leaning towards something with more of an off trail, routefinding component. Perhaps something similar to the Sierra High Route, but in a different venue.

I lost  the NCT on a section north of Tahq Falls some years ago. I ran into some guys on 4-wheelers in the area who had no idea where the NTC was.  They asked my what I would do- assuming I was lost.  I told them, "If I don't pick up the trail in 20- 30 min l'll start walking directly north to Superior."  Their mouths sore of hung open, like no one had done that before.  

Trails do make forward progress easier, and some of those tag alder swamps can be a real challenge.  

But I can't say I haven't considered the same thing myself.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 3:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailDoctor @ Oct. 26 2013, 9:37 pm)
Sounds like an awesome adventure. We had planned to do a two stage NCT hike across the UP as well. Using the last 3 weeks of August 2014, and 2015. But it looks like its a wash for us now at the moment. I'm missing the stretch between Munising west to S. Laird rd. and then from M64 to the Porkies. Not really interested in going all the way to the Wisconsin border. I know they're working to get the trail through Craig Lake State Park, where it will come out at the Canyon Falls rest stop (US41), which will eliminate some of the current long road walks.  

Good Luck RD, hope it all comes together for you.

Using FS roads one could hike the entire UP and never really have to use a serious road.  I have thought of biking it more than once using those FS roads which are snowmobile routes in winter.  

The bike idea has a lot of appeal for me still.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

End to end through the UP, sounds very nice.  Keep us posted on your thoughts and plans.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Oct. 27 2013, 8:25 am)
End to end through the UP, sounds very nice.  Keep us posted on your thoughts and plans.

Mtn Girl, You and Bill could do this one- no mountains!!

--------------
 Post Number: 19
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...... but, I like mountains.  I will get up to the UP at some point, though.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Adding to this, perhaps a return to the CDT in the spring, or and try at the AZT starting in March.  

So many possibilities.

--------------
19 replies since Oct. 14 2013, 2:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Summer Plans for 2014
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions