2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Man lives happily in hobbit style home, Total C of L less than $5000/year< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:37 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This guy is like a modern day Thoreau.   Really cool setup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....ar.html

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given that he completely left his two young kids behind in the lurch to do that, I have kind of a hard time feeling all that impressed.  Congrats dude, you sired two kids then abandoned any responsibility of raising them (or paying a penny to raise them) so you could live simply and spend winters surfing in Hawaii.

It hardly garners a big thumbs up from me, sorry to say. I'm all for simplifying life where it makes sense, but that's not it. I'm sure the kids--who lost a dad in the process--would have a slightly different version to tell of their dad's awesome choices.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does one really need an iPad, a Macbook Air and  a cell phone?  Simplicity?  Or different amusement wants but 'same same' otherwise?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One more deadbeat.

Prolly would be a Tea Hatter.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Notwithstanding his personal/family life, just the idea of him being content with simplicity is very nice.   Living outside of the big house and two cars lifelong financial treadmill.

Free as a bird.

What matters isn't possessions.  What matters is being content.

Who cares what the Joneses think.  That is the problem with our society.  People constantly worrying about what other people think of them.   For many, virtually every decision they make...the house they buy, the cars they drive, the clothes they wear, etc is made to influence what others think of them....so that others will think highly of them.

It can be said that many are literally enslaved to and controlled by the opinions of others.

Here is an example of someone who doesn't care about the whole materialism thing and can spend his life living to the fullest instead of working, working, working.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 1:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Oct. 15 2013, 10:39 pm)
Notwithstanding his personal/family life...

Free as a bird.

What matters isn't possessions.  What matters is being content...

Who cares what the Joneses think...

In other words, who cares what others think when it comes to HIS PERSONAL HAPPINESS is the human ego at its ugliest - coming after creating and then abandoning the young in his case.  Obscene, actually.  And he still kept his electronics, didn't he?

Indeed, what matters isn't possessions - what matters is living responsibly.  And in his case - I see a failure in more ways than one.  Great to live on $5k a year - but how much is he putting away for his old age?  I suppose he expects the state (meaning all of us) to take care of him?  Or maybe "reconcile" with junior when he can no longer fend for himself?   ???

I think the Hindu way makes more sense.  First work to provide for your family if you choose to have one (you need not be materialistic at all). Once the kids are grown - then you (and your spouse) can focus more on self fulfillment and personal enlightenment.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 3:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He lives on $5000 a year, huh?

What happens when Obamacare fully kicks in and he is forced to buy health insurance?  Will he still be able to live on $5000/yr?
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maaaan, when those two young kentuckians catch up to him, it won't be pretty.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the one comment... "he gives hobbits a bad name."

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the comments on the original piece says his family actually lives a couple miles away in a conventional house.  They actually moved with him to Oregon, but didn't care for the hobbit lifestyle.

I could not find any online info. to corroborate this.
 Post Number: 11
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Oct. 16 2013, 1:39 am)
Who cares what the Joneses think.  That is the problem with our society.  People constantly worrying about what other people think of them.   For many, virtually every decision they make...the house they buy, the cars they drive, the clothes they wear, etc is made to influence what others think of them....so that others will think highly of them.

You paint with a very broad brush.

--------------
I feel a storm all wet and warm
not 10 miles away
approaching my Mexican home.
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm wondering how he lives for the half of each year he's in Hawaii?  Illegally camped on a beach somewhere?  (at state expense, of course).  Yes, we can take the point that you don't need so much stuff, but I agree with GoBlue: he totally ditched his responsibilities, and I have no admiration for that.  Some people manage to simplify while still keeping the family together and raising the kids well.  

To KenV: how will he pay for insurance?  Good question.  The other question is, without insurance, who will pay when he gets sick/hurt?  Yeah, he might get lucky and make it through to Medicare age without any significant medical needs.  Or not.  Either way, the rest of us working stiffs get to pay for his care.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 16 2013, 9:52 am)
One of the comments on the original piece says his family actually lives a couple miles away in a conventional house.  They actually moved with him to Oregon, but didn't care for the hobbit lifestyle.

You're right.  We've been fleeced.

I tracked down the website in that link.  This whole hobbit hole deal is his sales pitch.  He may "live" on 5K but, I'll bet he's generating a lot more money than that.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Comparing himself to Thoreau is uber pretentious.

His "simple" life is his schtick.  He still needs to be a self-promotionwhore for his own survival.   He has his own website, sells on Amazon...

What he's doing is along the same lines as the tiny house movement people.  It's nothing especially noteworthy.

http://pathlesspedaled.com/2011/07/the-tallest-hobbit-i-know/
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Oct. 16 2013, 8:55 am)

I tracked down the website in that link.  This whole hobbit hole deal is his sales pitch.  He may "live" on 5K but, I'll bet he's generating a lot more money than that.

And that Thoreau character everyone is still talking about?

Walden Pond was less than two miles from his mom's house.

http://webpages.charter.net/sn9/literature/truewalden.html
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am betting that 8 ft home has no running water, no plumbing.  Would like to hear what he does about that.  Getting water from the surface is easy enough, but getting rid of his black water is not.

I lived in an 8 ft room for a while, and it had a bed, a toilet, and a desk.  Could have had a TV, but didn't.  I didn't need to worry about what I ate, or how I dressed, or owning a car.  No Thanks.

I have given thought periodically to living in an underground home.  Maybe not a circular one, but at least one insulated by earth.  There are distinct advantages, as long as one has some way to allow natural light into the home.  I could see living in a 2000 SF underground home.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ted Kaczynski probably lived on a lot less...

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 18
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We recently downsized to a 1900 sq ft house. It's actually set up to be two apts: 1200 ft with 2 bdrms upstairs, and a 700 ft two bdrm apt in the basement.

2 people could live more than comfortably in the 1200 ft main floor area--the only real hitch is where to store all your crap.

So, if one really lived simply, with very little crap, it would be no problem at all. And in 5-10 years, when our kids are truly grown and independent (they are 17, 19, and 21 now), I have no doubt that we could live very comfortably in that amount of space.

I read somewhere recently that the average American house in the 60s was 1400 sq feet. We've clearly deluded ourselves that we all need to live in mansions.
 Post Number: 19
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lived in 600 and 800 SF condos when I lived in Honolulu.  I needed storage space for some outdoor stuff, but could use the spare bedroom mostly.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Oct. 16 2013, 9:20 am)
[color=maroon]I am betting that 8 ft home has no running water, no plumbing.  Would like to hear what he does about that.  Getting water from the surface is easy enough, but getting rid of his black water is not.

He has a composting toilet (outside)
 Post Number: 21
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 16 2013, 11:09 am)

And? No one knew the flora of Concord better than Thoreau -mom living in town or not. He also preferred to commune with Indians than white men.

"He chose to be rich by making his wants few, and supplying them himself. In his travels, he used the railroad only to get over so much country as was unimportant to the present purpose, walking hundreds of miles, avoiding taverns, buying a lodging in farmers' and fishermen's houses, as cheaper, and more agreeable to him, and because there he could better find the men and the information he wanted."

-RWE

Because his mom lived down the proverbial street, does not make Thoreau any less of a naturalist. I think it's pretty well-known now in such circles as backpacker forums that Concord wasn't/isn't exactly a wilderness. I don't know of any who pretends that it was/is.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 22
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 16 2013, 11:09 am)

Exactly.  Thoreau was a fraud.  He was basically beholden to Emerson (both attended Harvard) throughout the so-called Walden period (he lived on land owned by Emerson, among other things), and his mother brought him cookies and soup basically every day to the Walden house.  Even the story of his brief incarceration was exxagerated (Emerson bailed him out and his mom paid the tax he was supposedly protesting).  Of course, he moved back to Emerson's house after his little excursion into "solitude" was done.  His writings are a bunch of lame witticisms that are taken far too seriously by far too many college sophomores.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Oct. 16 2013, 9:56 am)
Exactly.  Thoreau was a fraud.  He was basically beholden to Emerson (both attended Harvard) throughout the so-called Walden period (he lived on land owned by Emerson, among other things), and his mother brought him cookies and soup basically every day to the Walden house.  Even the story of his brief incarceration was exxagerated (Emerson bailed him out and his mom paid the tax he was supposedly protesting).  Of course, he moved back to Emerson's house after his little excursion into "solitude" was done.  His writings are a bunch of lame witticisms that are taken far too seriously by far too many college sophomores.

Perfectly said.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aside, years ago in another place and time, I was driving past a new subdivision. The developer had cut and bulldozed every tree, and was putting in the subdivision roads, infrastructure, etc.

The sign at the entrance to the new subdivision with homes starting in the 280's?

Walden Pond!

I nearly wet myself... Nagasaki Estates seemed more appropriate.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CarFree @ Oct. 16 2013, 1:39 am)
What matters isn't possessions.  What matters is being content.

It can be said that many are literally enslaved to and controlled by the opinions of others.

Just an observation that may be completely off base, but I think you sound as judgmental as anyone else and, frankly, a little defensive, as if you feel the need to criticize those who have a lot of possessions in order to justify not having it.

My feeling is that people who are content and secure in themselves have the ability to look at others and appreciate what they have without resentment or the need to criticize their lifestyle choices.  I think being overly judgmental is basically a sign of insecurity.

I have NO desire to live like a hobbit and, really, don't feel the need to apologize for that.  Living "free" as wildlife sounds romantic but, frankly, most wildlife have a hard life, basically spending all their time and effort trying to survive.  I happen to like my trade-off; work relatively hard for 50 hours a week in exchange for not having to worry about food/shelter/survival.  I'm content.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 26
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thoreau was a fraud, milli vanilli was a fraud and Dick Proneke was a fraud. He had his friend Jimothy fly in beans and rice every week.
 Post Number: 27
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it just goes to show... regardless of whether you admire the idea of someone or hold them in contempt, odds are you don't quite have all the information.

Which is fine.  I was certainly a bit misled in my original response.  It does seem that he gets to see his kids regularly (since they live only a couple miles away), and when I read more carefully I see it says that his "cost of living" is only $5K, not that that's necessarily all he makes (he could make a lot more, and contribute with child support for his kids, etc).  If that's the case, I have a bit more respect for him.  But it also means that the image he conveys in his self-promotional blogs and books ("I do it all myself, on only $5K a year!") is exaggerated as well.  But... if the guy were completely honest about his life circumstances (all of them) and how he actually balances it, it wouldn't sell as many books or attract as many idealized worshippers.  So, there you have it.  His existence is a bit more nuanced and complex than the article made it sound.  Not surprising, as it were.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 28
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 to TigerFan.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 29
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Oct. 16 2013, 12:37 pm)
Thoreau was a fraud, milli vanilli was a fraud and Dick Proneke was a fraud. He had his friend Jimothy fly in beans and rice every week.

You leave Saint Proenneke out of this M'Stew.  Thou shalt not diss the Proenneke!

Gotta hand it to Price though.  Wintering in Hawaii wouldn't suck.  It's the payoff for living with a composting toilet the rest of the year.

Here's his photos...you know what's expensive? Hawaii. So I'm sure he does ok and saves up the rest of the year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoboartist/sets/
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have NO desire to live like a hobbit...

I dunno...a dozen meals a day, butter beer, pretty little shire...

--------------
69 replies since Oct. 16 2013, 12:37 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Man lives happily in hobbit style home
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions