2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl, Love's Depth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl

What stronger testament to love?

Amy and Derrick Ross lived simply in a rented house in Bisbee. As a performing couple they traveled southern Arizona singing their songs. Folk festivals, taverns, restaurants all competed to book them. Using charm and talent they created an ambience.

Most of us didn’t know that Amy was afflicted with Lupus. The disease weakened her kidneys and through the dialysis process she contracted a blood infection. She was about to go into surgery to repair damage to both heart valves when she died. That was Monday, yesterday. That evening Derrick took his own life. He was 39. Amy was 40.

Those who knew them said that they were soul mates in every sense of the phrase. Just like you can’t argue against someone’s faith you can’t argue against the depth of love in someone’s heart. I wouldn’t dare, for a second, to question Derrick’s decision to travel with Amy to the next gig.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/arts....s-death

Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl

Amy and Derrick at the Tucson Folk Music Festival 2012
Amy Ross Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl.Tucson Folk Music Festival 2012 by harquahalajohn, on Flickr

Derrick Ross Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl. Tucson Folk Music Festival 2012 by harquahalajohn, on Flickr

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
beemerphill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am happy that they are together. I am sad that they are no longer with us. They struck me as a perfect match. You can see it in their expressions on the video. If only the world had more like them.
 Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know them, but it's kind of a sad and happy story.  Not many people find their soul mates.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(beemerphill @ Oct. 17 2013, 5:34 am)
I am happy that they are together. I am sad that they are no longer with us. They struck me as a perfect match. You can see it in their expressions on the video. If only the world had more like them.

The timing makes me think it was something he had planned to do. She probably didn't know. Kinda like a modern day Romeo and Juliet.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 5
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Oct. 17 2013, 6:06 am)
I don't know them, but it's kind of a sad and happy story.  Not many people find their soul mates.

I think of the times I've been in love. In all honesty, maybe I really wasn't. I don't think I could have done what Derrik did no matter how much I thought I had found my "soul mate".

Perhaps others can understand. It's beyond my ken.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Derrick and Amy were friends of mine.  They were both beautiful people and my heart was broken when I heard the news.  I knew of Amy's illness and the difficult life she has had but I never imagined this tragic of an end.  I am not surprised though that Derrick chose to follow her.  I have very fond memories which I am thankful for . . . hanging out with them, watching them perform, playing gigs with them back in my performing days and they even played at my wedding reception (although Derrick was so hung over that he spent most of the reception sleeping in their car :) )They had an amazing energy that took hold of everyone that met them.  I don't think I have ever seen two people more in love with one another.  I want to thank them both for the times in my life I was given with them.  Thank you desert dweller for posting, as I'm sure a lot of people hadn't heard of them or their music.
 Post Number: 7
beemerphill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can understand, and even respect his decision, but this is not the way I would act. While I am not a "church person", I do believe in God, and try to live my life as I think He wants me to. Suicide is not the way to be with my mate. When a person believes in an afterlife, there is no need to rush things. When it is my time, I will meet all those who have gone before me. Eternity is a long time, and a few extra years now while make little or no difference.
All this being said, it was Derrick's choice, and I would not want to force others to live as I choose to. I do hope that they will spend eternity together in happiness.
 Post Number: 8
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(beemerphill @ Oct. 17 2013, 3:45 pm)
I can understand, and even respect his decision, but this is not the way I would act. While I am not a "church person", I do believe in God, and try to live my life as I think He wants me to. Suicide is not the way to be with my mate. When a person believes in an afterlife, there is no need to rush things. When it is my time, I will meet all those who have gone before me. Eternity is a long time, and a few extra years now while make little or no difference.
All this being said, it was Derrick's choice, and I would not want to force others to live as I choose to. I do hope that they will spend eternity together in happiness.

Well said, beemerphill.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 9
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 17 2013, 3:07 pm)

(hikingFF77 @ Oct. 17 2013, 6:06 am)

I think of the times I've been in love. In all honesty, maybe I really wasn't. I don't think I could have done what Derrik did no matter how much I thought I had found my "soul mate".

Perhaps others can understand. It's beyond my ken.

I feel the same way, I don't think I would/could ever do that and don't condone it.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 10
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CenAZwalker @ Oct. 17 2013, 12:11 pm)
Derrick and Amy were friends of mine.  They were both beautiful people and my heart was broken when I heard the news.  I knew of Amy's illness and the difficult life she has had but I never imagined this tragic of an end.  I am not surprised though that Derrick chose to follow her.  I have very fond memories which I am thankful for . . . hanging out with them, watching them perform, playing gigs with them back in my performing days and they even played at my wedding reception (although Derrick was so hung over that he spent most of the reception sleeping in their car :) )They had an amazing energy that took hold of everyone that met them.  I don't think I have ever seen two people more in love with one another.  I want to thank them both for the times in my life I was given with them.  Thank you desert dweller for posting, as I'm sure a lot of people hadn't heard of them or their music.

Thanks CenAZwalker for sharing your story about Amy and Derrick. Local radio station KXCI played their music off and on throughout the week and weekend. Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl have become a part of Tucson folklore.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(
10 replies since Oct. 16 2013, 11:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nowhere Man and a Whiskey Girl
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions