2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Men videotape themselves destroying landscape< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BoomerHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 5:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pure rage-inducing idiocy. Three men push over boulder at Goblin Valley state park. Fortunately for authorities, they videoed their vandalism and uploaded it to Facebook.

Men may face felony charges after toppling Goblin Valley formation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFD18BwmJ4

--------------
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In addition to being punished for their actions, they should be sterilized.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will be interesting to find out whether those 3 men are Utah local rednecks or ignorant of environmental ethic out of state visitors.   The article noted how their Facebook friends approved indicating the nature of their ethical orientation.   The fact they didn't consider publicly displaying on Youtube what they did as possibly lawfully incriminating shows more ignorance.   Sort of acts and inconsiderate attitude one would expect of more extreme enviro hating OHV users.

In climbing communities the inconsiderate, destructive sport of rolling large boulders down slopes and off ledges is condemned, however some miscreants continue to do so. There is no denying watching boulders crash into objects is entertaining.   Maybe fine a century or two ago when there were vast areas of unexplored lands.   But not something we on an increasingly crowded planet with limited decreasing natural areas ought condone.  

I've been to Goblin Valley a couple of times.  Anyone visiting that remote park would immediately consider it one of the most fantastic geological places on the planet.    Not a place humans ought to be engaging in destructive behaviors upon but rather ought to tread gently.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 4
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Hold My Beer And Watch This"... a merry band of Bubba's for sure...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 5
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some people are just....scary. Stupid scary.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Oct. 17 2013, 5:06 pm)
Some people are just....scary. Stupid scary.

All of that and more.

I sat on my hands with my response :D

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boy Scout leaders? They look as smart as their actions.  Like Einstein said, "the difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits."  These guys just proved that.  What idiots.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was in (catholic) high school, 3 guys did some vandalism. They weren't bad kids, just doing something they later came to regret.This waspretty unique and almost unheard of at our little 400 student catholic school where everyone's parents knew everyone's parents. Anyway, instead of expelling them, the principle was really cool. He just smiled and said they could have a little "community service."
for the next 80 days, those boys scrubbed toilets mopped floors and swore they wish they had never done any vandalism. One boy cleanned all toilets in the school for a month! We actually felt really sorry for them.  It ruined their senior year.
Anyway, "community service" is what those rock pushing boys need!
 Post Number: 9
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also a report that someone took a motorcycle through GSMNP during the shutdown ("civil disobedience") and videotaped/blogged about it.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013....rk24119
 Post Number: 10
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They were doing to to save lives- so that the rocks would not fall on kids.  That's what they say on the video anyway...  I think they should make them put it back.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 11
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's amazing how vandalism and stupidity (video taping it) so often go hand in hand.
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:55 am)
I think they should make them put it back.

Now that would certain be a punishment to fit the crime...

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Oct. 18 2013, 9:10 am)

There's precedent for that... Has Sisyphus finished yet?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put it back, and community service, and a ban from all State and National Parks

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This needed to be one of those times when what might have seemed like a horrific accident was simply galactic kharma. Mashed foot, face, hand, destroyed water supply, something... SOMETHING!!!

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 16
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too bad the rock didn't tip the other way and pin the guy pushing it between the other rock. Now that would have been Karma.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

land of the mud men:

https://www.google.com/search?....0s0Li_s

--------------
...David

Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are places where it's ok to push over rocks, dead trees, etc.

that's not one of them.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has become a national media news story now.

The purps came up with an excuse but no judge will swallow their explanation after watching the video with them giggling and goofing about laughing.

Reader comments are hillarious.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news....ficials

--------------
...David

Post Number: 20
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really hated watching these idiots. Partly I hated the rampant destruction but also I hated the appearance of joking about what was a personal tragedy in my husbands brothers family. My sister-in-laws family has a ranch in Wyoming with some of these hoodoo type formations and her 12 year old nephew was jumping from one to another when a capstone broke off and flipped over on top of him. The fact that they were so obviously joking about saving the kids somehow felt like they were encouraging other people to copy them in something that is more dangerous than young people would ever suspect.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 18 2013, 10:17 am)

(tomas @ Oct. 18 2013, 9:10 am)

There's precedent for that... Has Sisyphus finished yet?

Spoken like a Librarian :D

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, on NPR tonight, these guys were boyscout troop leaders...

--------------
 Post Number: 23
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They were adults, scout leaders and knew better. Besides that, their story is bullsh*t. Go for the felony charges, jail time, community service and restitution. You are all waaay too nice.
 Post Number: 24
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The David Grundman story comes to mind.
 Post Number: 25
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, give them a break, they are just keeping America safe from rocks, homosexuals, and atheists.
 Post Number: 26
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw on TV last night on the ABC national newscast that they interviewed the one guy that pushed it over and he said he would do it again but with a Ranger present. I guess so they could justify their vandalism. From the looks of the place on the newscast they could have done it to a lot more rocks too. Heck they should go over to Bryce Canyon and topple over a few hoodoos too as they look kinda dangerous and why stop there maybe stop up at Arches and knock over those dangerous looking arches that could fall on someone. Heaven forbid they go to the Grand Canyon, they might grab a shovel and fill it in considering some poor little kid may fall into it.
Hopefully they get prosecuted and have to pay a huge fine and do countless hours of community service of repairing damage done by other idiots to parks. Like hand sanding picnic tables that have been carved up with knives or repairing trails where people cut switchbacks. Also I hope the Scouts kick them out of the BSA.
 Post Number: 27
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better than the time Scouts were on the summit of the Pfeifferhorn rolling rocks off the summit above a technical route I was climbing. The Scout leader informed me that boys will be boys. The real issue is the enormous number of Scouts in Utah and the lack of trained qualified leaders with backcountry common sense. Hopefully, the Great Salt Lake Council will  require documented, mandatory training for Scout leaders and mandate that only credentialed leaders are authorized to lead young people in the backcountry. They have the resources and wide spread support so hopefully the can truly eliminate the pioneer backcountry culture that exists here and move forward into the 21st century.
 Post Number: 28
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and people wonder why I'm a misanthrope...
 Post Number: 29
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Oct. 19 2013, 1:19 pm)
and people wonder why I'm a misanthrope...

I don't.

Rumi    <~~~~~misanthropologist

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 30
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to see profiles on these guys: political party, religion and associated leanings (liberal to conservative), type of truck, drug of choice, news sources, favorite internet visits, favorite (other) leisure time activities, and so on. Maybe a topic for TPA.

Regardless, I hope they are prosecuted and convicted. Six months on a trail-building crew seems about right if it's a first conviction. Get you old boys in shape; do an attitude adjustment.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
45 replies since Oct. 17 2013, 5:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Men videotape themselves destroying landscape
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions