2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rank your favorite national parks to backpack< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sportsguy9981 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 8:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive only backpacked Glacier Nat Park, but I want to know what others think in the US/Canadian National Park system their favorite national parks to backpack.  When I check out another national park I want to go for a week.  I was thinking Banff/Jasper in Canada as my next one but want to see which ones others like to backpack.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gros Morne
Grand Teton
Sequoia
Kings Canyon
Olympic
Yosemite
Zion
Gates of the Arctic

Not ranked, simply listed, btw.
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't hiked it that many national parks but of the one I have, I rank them in the following order 1. Glacier;  2. Grand Canyon; 3. Olympic; 4. Zion;  5. Yosemite;
6. Denali  7. Bryce Canyon;  8.  Great Smokies;  9. Theodore Roosevelt; 10. Wind Cave

Of course everyone's experience is different.  Depends on personal preference, time of year, experiences encountered, area of the park, etc.  So many variables.  Interestingly enough, a while back, Backpacker Magazine posed the same questions to it's readers and Glacier came out on top.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
sportsguy9981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes Glacier is a special place.. seems to be a favorite of many experienced backpackers.  Plus the people in Montana are so friendly its hard to beat.. but I do want to see other parks, and backpack in other areas so Im just trying to see what everybody thinks.  So far there are some interesting responses and I'll check out all my options and see what other people like.
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Olympic is by far my favorite NP to backpack, but there are so many others.

Rainier is great, Glacier is phenomenal, but for really great backpack trips I think that wilderness areas are even better, especially Selway-Bitterroot, and Wemenuche, and Never Summer.

North Cascades has some wonderful vistas also.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. Sequoia/Kings Canyon
2. Yosemite
3. Isle Royale
4. Canyonlands
5. Zion
6. Joshua Tree
7. Channel Islands

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like WWWest, I prefer to backpack outside the parks, in part to avoid so many rules.

We spent July in the Canadian Rockies.  The scenery is incredible, and more than made up for the excessively structured nature of backcountry access there.  I can recommend both the backpacks we did, the Rockwall in Kootenay (see TR in Storytelling Forum) and the Berg Lake trip in Mt. Robson Provincial Park (TR not yet written. . .  :O )

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've only backpacked in three national parks. Here they are in the order of "best"
1. Glacier
2. Smokies
3. Yellowstone. I love Yellowstone, but backpacking there has not been a good experience for me (done it 2x). I'll stick to day hikes in YNP.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also prefer destinations outside the parks.  No reservations, no fees, fewer people.

Eagles Nest Wilderness
La Garita Wilderness
Sangre de Cristo wilderness
Vasques Peak Wilderness
James Peak Wilderness
Weminuche Wilderness
 Post Number: 10
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing amiss about asking about opinions on members favorite national parks but asking to "rank" them fails to reflect on how few here have more than dabbled on a short list of parks.

Many National Parks in The West are vast places where local backpacking enthusiasts may spend decades exploring their nearby parks without running out of worthwhile destinations.   Thus few can reasonably know such parks well enough to comparitively rate them.  So the notion of "ranking" parks has little value unless coming from locals with considerable experience at different parks.  You would probably get a more meaningful answer by asking the few qualified to make such an opinion like tarol than asking the 98% of the rest of us that have only dabbled beyond parks in our local areas.   I could say a lot about backpacking in SEKI in my local region but not in a comparitive way to the long list of other mountain national parks in The West I've barely explored or never been to.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 11
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only three parks where I've backpacked, ranked:

Kings Canyon
Yosemite
Sequoia

NF Wilderness:
John Muir
Ansel Adams
Goat Rocks
Trinity Alps
Marble Mountain
Emigrant
Mokelumne
Desolation

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Oct. 18 2013, 10:40 am)
Nothing amiss about asking about opinions on members favorite national parks but asking to "rank" them fails to reflect on how few here have more than dabbled on a short list of parks.

Many National Parks in The West are vast places where local backpacking enthusiasts may spend decades exploring their nearby parks without running out of worthwhile destinations.   Thus few can reasonably know such parks well enough to comparitively rate them.  So the notion of "ranking" parks has little value unless coming from locals with considerable experience at different parks.  You would probably get a more meaningful answer by asking the few qualified to make such an opinion like tarol than asking the 98% of the rest of us that have only dabbled beyond parks in our local areas.   I could say a lot about backpacking in SEKI in my local region but not in a comparitive way to the long list of other mountain national parks in The West I've barely explored or never been to.

I disagree. The OP asked for favorites, of those favorites most would have a preferred order reflecting their own style.
"their favorite national parks to backpack. "
That's perfectly legitimate in my view: who else could rank MY choices except me?

I declined mostly since it varies with season, immediate goals (photos, bombing down steep slopes on skis, wildflowers, wildlife, geothermal features etc.) so a static ranking not overburdened with caveats and conditions didn't seem useful.
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:56 am)

I disagree. The OP asked for favorites, of those favorites most would have a preferred order reflecting their own style.
That's perfectly legitimate in my view: who else could rank MY choices except me?

I declined mostly since it varies with season, immediate goals (photos, bombing down steep slopes on skis, wildflowers, wildlife, geothermal features etc.) so a static ranking not overburdened with caveats and conditions didn't seem useful.

The problem is, people rate what they know, and if their experience is limited, so is the quality of the results.

That's how Domino's and Pizza Hut come up frequently in local "Best Pizza" polls.  It's not that their pizza is good (it's not), it's that this is what people know.

So RMNP ranks high on lots of lists, and Arches doesn't, it only means more people have visited there.
 Post Number: 14
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoy backpacking in Yosemite. Next year I am planning  a week trip to Lassen and in August to Great Basin. I am looking forward to some solitude, and great views.
 Post Number: 15
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's a national park? We ain't got those in the northeast.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:27 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:56 am)

The problem is, people rate what they know, and if their experience is limited, so is the quality of the results.

That's how Domino's and Pizza Hut come up frequently in local "Best Pizza" polls.  It's not that their pizza is good (it's not), it's that this is what people know.

So RMNP ranks high on lots of lists, and Arches doesn't, it only means more people have visited there.

The OP asked for favorites: of course favorites are going to be based on what they know.

Personal opinion is valid as personal opinion.

My favorite book IS my favorite book. I probably even have a ranking of several favorite books I could create. And that would also be valid. MY book list.

A ranking of "best" in a universal sense would be subject to the "limited  sample size bias" critique: but that isn't what the OP asked for. NOWHERE does he use the word "Best".

The title:
"Rank your favorite national parks to backpack"

"favorite" is NOT "best".

Nor in the post:
"Ive only backpacked Glacier Nat Park, but I want to know what others think in the US/Canadian National Park system their favorite national parks to backpack.  When I check out another national park I want to go for a week.  I was thinking Banff/Jasper in Canada as my next one but want to see which ones others like to backpack."

Asking for personal opinion based on personal experience for personal favorites.
 Post Number: 17
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. Jasper National Park
2. Gates of the Arctic National Park
3. Banff National Park
4. Katmai National Park

The first three keep us pretty booked up on vacations. Jasper is one of our weekend playgrounds also. Katmai is more of a basecamp destination instead of backpacking - but we're in a tent the whole time we there (usually 7 nights), so I'll list it here b/c it's just so darn fun to be amongst the bears there.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 18 2013, 12:29 pm)
What's a national park? We ain't got those in the northeast.

The White House grounds are a national park, or isn't that "northeast"?

Independence Hall?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 18 2013, 12:23 pm)
We spent July in the Canadian Rockies.  The scenery is incredible, and more than made up for the excessively structured nature of backcountry access there.  I can recommend both the backpacks we did, the Rockwall in Kootenay (see TR in Storytelling Forum) and the Berg Lake trip in Mt. Robson Provincial Park (TR not yet written. . .  :O )

The system isn't too bad once you get used to it, and have a NP backcountry season pass. Then booking trails from home is relatively easy, and you can avoid going to the visitor centres for passes.

We just did Mt Robson last weekend for Cdn Thanksgiving (it's just down the road from us essentially) ... pretty cool place when the crowds are gone. :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 20
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really?  I always loved Acadia, and the history of how and why it came into being is a very inspiring story, to me.

Mt. Desert Island is a beautiful and magical place, in my memory.  Very glad that it is there.

Not so much for backpacking, but for natural beauty and a testament to the cooperation of human beings for the common good.

New England is much like Texas, the land was already fully involved in private ownership before the Federal government was created, so not much of a chance for National Parks.  But still a lot of great backpacking in the State parks and the Forests.

You can keep the blackflies though!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 18 2013, 12:51 pm)
Nor in the post:

By time you posted the sentence you refer seems to have been edited out with post shortened possibly from reading my post.  Regardless it remained in the title.  Could argue your comment a bit narrow but maybe so was my post.  In any case too trivial to make issue with .  Enjoy your weekend.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 22
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BCPete1 @ Oct. 18 2013, 3:53 pm)
1. Jasper National Park
2. Gates of the Arctic National Park
3. Banff National Park
4. Katmai National Park

The first three keep us pretty booked up on vacations. Jasper is one of our weekend playgrounds also. Katmai is more of a basecamp destination instead of backpacking - but we're in a tent the whole time we there (usually 7 nights), so I'll list it here b/c it's just so darn fun to be amongst the bears there.

Have you been to any of the following BC Provincial Parks?

Strathcona, ts'yl-os or Great Glacier?

How about Kulane NP in the Yukon?

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dennis The Menace @ Oct. 18 2013, 5:07 pm)
Have you been to any of the following BC Provincial Parks?

Strathcona, ts'yl-os or Great Glacier?

How about Kulane NP in the Yukon?

We've driven into the Ts'yl-os area just a bit. It's a beautiful region but I'm not sure about the hiking opportunities - as we haven't spent much time there. We drove in there one spring looking for a loop route back to the highway (saw a beautiful great gray owl that day). The Rainbow Range in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park (which is a little further down the highway towards Bella Colla) is spectacular - I highly recommend that. Great for backpacking.

Strathcona is on Vancouver Island and we rarely get there ... pretty long drive & ferry from the Prince George region.

You had me stumped on Great Glacier ... I had to look it up on the BC Parks website (so obviously I've never been there). Looks like it would be a plane or boat ride only area - pretty pricey judging by how far north it is (Prince Rupert would be your only BC access point I think, and that's a long way south). I would think you'd almost have to come in from one of the Alaska coastal towns to make it feasible.

Kluane NP is a pretty cool region. We tried to do a series of trips there a few years ago, but the weather was atrocious so we ended up heading north on the Dempster highway instead. Logistically it's a tougher park because the only town nearby is Haines Junction - which has really limited services. In fact, we just drove by there last month on our way to Katmai in Alaska, and found out their only grocery store had burned down a year ago. The only things we could find for food & drinks were one gas station store and an RV park selling some snacks. We got there too late for the one or two restaurants that were only open until 7pm. Might be different in the summer, but for September you really need to plan for supplies & meals. Whitehorse is 1.5 hours away. Hiking wise though, yeah - probably worth doing and it's on our list to do some year.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have visited nearly every NP West of the Mississippi, and a few East of there.  For Backpacking, my preferences are:

Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Glacier
Yellowstone
Sequoia/Kings Canyon

In my mind, there is a big gap between Yosemite and Glacier, but those are my preferences. I fell in love with the Canyon, and despite some rough trips there it is still my favorite.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 25
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A little lesser-known one is North Cascades NP--some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the lower 48 is found there. It's a "wilderness park," so it's a little more backpacker-friendly than most NPs, although you do still need permits.

Mt. Goode from N. Fork Bridge Creek:
Goode and Storm King from Cirque

Berdeen Lake from Hagan Mt.:
Berdeen Lake

Rainbow Lake with Autumn Larch:
Larch With Reflection
 Post Number: 26
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Oct. 18 2013, 11:13 am)
I've only backpacked in three national parks. Here they are in the order of "best"
1. Glacier
2. Smokies
3. Yellowstone. I love Yellowstone, but backpacking there has not been a good experience for me (done it 2x). I'll stick to day hikes in YNP.

oops, you forgot your favorite.  RMNP.  :)

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 27
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dislike national parks for all the rules, restrictions, crowds of tourons, and the constant preaching about how much better off the place would be without my presence. However, I had the best backpacking trip ever this summer in Sequoia NP - didn't reserve a permit and had lots of solitude.
 Post Number: 28
Dennis The Menace Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Oct. 19 2013, 9:38 am)
A little lesser-known one is North Cascades NP--some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the lower 48 is found there. It's a "wilderness park," so it's a little more backpacker-friendly than most NPs, although you do still need permits.

Mt. Goode from N. Fork Bridge Creek:

Berdeen Lake from Hagan Mt.:

Rainbow Lake with Autumn Larch:

+1

Definitely North Cascades NP(and Mount Baker Wilderness area to its west). It truly has remarkable scenery.

Definitely underrated

--------------
politics is the art of taking advantage of mass stupidity and ignorance
 Post Number: 29
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North Manitou Island, South Manitou Island, Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, MI...Ya I count them too. Only a couple hours away. Rarely see others on trails.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 30
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

1 - Canyonlands - Maze District
2 - Yellowstone
3 - Great Basin
4 - Canyonlands - Island in the Sky
5 - Grand Canyon
77 replies since Oct. 17 2013, 8:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rank your favorite national parks to backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions