2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Life's Simple Pleaures: Let's Hear 'Em...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 9:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Outside of the outdoors and recreation , what are the simple pleasures in life that you enjoy?  I'm a big radio fan (I don't own a tv) and enjoy listening to quite a variety of radio programs.  That being said, every other Saturday is really a simple pleasure to me since I'm off of work and get to listen to my favorite radio programs (all on NPR stations).

Every other Saturday I make it a point to enjoy some of my favorite radio programs.  I never miss Saturdays with Susan on KMHD (you can listen online, too). KMHD is a great jazz station out of Portland, OR. After Susan's show it's time for Says You (either on Yellowstone Public Radio or WFIU out of Bloomington, IN).  After Says You I head out for day hiking.

In the evening, after enjoying my outdoor experiences, I settle down and listen to The Folk Sampler with Mike Flynn on Yellowstone Public Radio.  After that I head up to Seattle and enjoy The Swing Years and Beyond on KUOW.

So, what are you simple pleaures?

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Evening walks around the neighborhood with my wife.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hearing good news from close friends.
Leaving the ER and knowing your loved one will be OK in a few days.

Spending a day at the beach, and not getting in trouble for looking at that woman who was topless.  I mean, she was laying on her stomach, but propped up on her elbows reading something.  Did she not know she was exposing herself to old men, who might have a heart attack or be beaten by their wives?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bacon
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coffee

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A warm breeze
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A ripe pear.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chinook winds in the winter when I lived in MT...

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The smell of lilacs in May...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you mentioned music and radio, I just finished listening to 2 hours of music by Hawaiians now it's an hour of Celtic followed by an hour of acoustic folk. At 10 am it will be 2 hours of bluegrass. All on KXCI.org for streaming.

Simple pleasures?

-This Saturday morning coffee outside sitting in the sun. It's currently 56 degrees and the high will be about 84.
-The bike ride I"ll do this afternoon/evening going out to see friends, have a couple of beers and listen to more music, live.
-I like that rare laugh-out-loud response to an unexpected comedic phrase.
-The sounds of the variety of desert birds that hang out in my backyard.
-Candid conversations with strangers.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having friends over for dinner. Setting the camera up for the rise of the full moon and being in the right place. Finding $20 in the pocket of a jacket I haven't worn in a while. Getting a call from someone that I was thinking about.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Taking a walk in the middle of the night.

New fallen snow.

Thunderstorms.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cold beer on a hot day.  Walks around town with my dog.  I really enjoy mornings, right after I get up,sitting in my rocking chair, reading the paper while slowly sipping a fresh cup of coffee.  And then, there's ice cream.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holding sweet little newborn babies - got my fix yesterday :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curling up with a good book and a cat

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good warm food from a crockpot on a cool evening - thanks to my Mom there's been a lot of that lately

--------------
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Oct. 19 2013, 10:07 am)

My perfect little treasure just arrived late Thursday night. It's hard to think of anything else to say right now. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm another NPR fan, and love listening while working out, and laughing so hard I have to stop.

Coffee with a girlfriend.

Sunset over the ocean. Especially when sort of stumbled on accidentally, when I just happen out be out at the right time.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soup, pie, cooking for friends
Reading
Having someone enjoy something I've written
Being with children
Camping or walking in the redwoods
The Smith River
Doodling of painting  while playing old records
And above all. Always. My family

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 20
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Oct. 19 2013, 9:24 am)

My perfect little treasure just arrived late Thursday night. It's hard to think of anything else to say right now. :)

Right on!!!  Ain't that the greatest?

Rumi

PS:  October is THE bestest month to be born.  Aple cider, Indian summer. falling leaves, that damp musty smell in the woods, warm October sun to burn off the morning fog, little babies in mothers arms ...

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 21
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bacon coffee and coffee bacon...

a beer at the end of a long hike

Starin' at the stars

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 22
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Oct. 19 2013, 10:24 am)

I can think of something to say: Congratulations!

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 23
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More coffee!

Watching the stars with my granddaughter.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Oct. 19 2013, 12:24 pm)

In true GBH fashion, we get a line about how things went, but we will wait for ages to read the actual TR (in this case, the posting about the birth and some pics).

Congrats, and tell the family we love them.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 25
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sleeping in, then making love, on a weekend morning.

Sitting in the warm sun (not so much in the summer, but when it actually feels good).
 Post Number: 26
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aww!  Congrats to you both!  Post pictures of baby toes soon :)  (Baby toes are another of life's simple pleasures).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 27
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations to you and the whole family. How exciting and exhausting and wonderful a new baby is.

I've only known since Sept 20 that my baby boy will be a Dad in May. Excited and terrified here at the Goode house.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 28
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats!
 Post Number: 29
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A hearty congrats to you both!

But we are talking about life's simple pleasures - not million-dollar ventures!  Like the moment you scratch that hard-to-reach itchy place.  Aahhh...  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 30
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a cold but sunny day, getting into a closed up car that's been sitting in the sun. AWWWW! Warmth!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
68 replies since Oct. 19 2013, 9:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Life's Simple Pleaures: Let's Hear 'Em...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions