2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How to speed up the cashier line< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1. Get your credit card, cash, or checkbook out NOW because the stuff isn't going to be free.  Waiting until the cashier says "that'll be $XX.XX" to search for your source of payment is wasting the time of everyone in the line behind you.

2. Stop impersonating Monet when you sign the credit card or check.  A line squiggle works just as well as that picture you like to draw for your signature.

3. There should be a "no purses line."  I can pack for a 3-day backpacking trip faster than some women can re-pack into their purses whatever it is they take out to pay for their purchase.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stop making sense. People aren't use to it.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about you look at the menu while you're in line?  If you have kids, make them decide while you're in line, don't wait until it's time to order to then start thinking about what you want!

PS - I die when I see people "get out their checkbook" - seriously?!  People still write checks at the store in this day and age?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did someone go shopping without their smartphone fully charged?

:D
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Oct. 22 2013, 2:17 pm)
How about you look at the menu while you're in line?  If you have kids, make them decide while you're in line, don't wait until it's time to order to then start thinking about what you want!

PS - I die when I see people "get out their checkbook" - seriously?!  People still write checks at the store in this day and age?

Oh gods this!  I just about die in line at Chipotle when that sort of agonizing starts up*. Even better when they discuss the pros and cons... having stood in the %&&*^% line NOT looking at the menu.

*Hungry doesn't get assuaged by internet surfing.
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And don't use your children to flirt with the cashier and get "all white"
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh come on, folks! You can't expect people to have their credit card ready and know what the family wants to eat — while those people are talking on their cell phones to their long-lost neighbor next door — whom they haven't seen for an entire 43 minutes. Let's try to be more understanding, eh.  :angry:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are in a hurry, don't go to the express lane. Most people seem to think one item equals one shopping cart.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know to some people this may seem foreign, but time your visits.

Best time to go grocery shopping is early Sunday morning.  Worst time is Sunday afternoon....unless the Broncos are playing.
 Post Number: 10
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahh a subject near and dear to my heart. +1 to have your form of payment ready. If you want to dig for that penny, please feel free to do so but be aware of the number of people behind you.

Honestly, if I hear one more person say " I just made it today" when I'm doing the pen test for counterfeit, I will come unglued. Please don't ask me for a discount, you should have asked the salesperson for that. Item doesn't scan, doesn't mean it's free. It just means the computer has a glitch somewhere. No, today isn't free day...that was yesterday. And please, I live in Ohio I'm not your honey, sweetheart or love. To me, I find that demeaning.

I love small talk with most of my customers. In fact, I enjoy the interaction. Some things just get tiresome. Wanna make your cashiers day? Ask how they are, say please, say thank you and treat them like you want to be treated. Wrong price, don't yell at me, don't cuss at me, don't throw things at me.

Think your cashier is rude or impolite, maybe someone ahead of you just cussed them out because they were overcharged a dollar. We have bad days too. I can't always be on.

Perhaps I should have ended my rant a paragraph ago, after 25 years in customer service, I'm allowed some leeway.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 11
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Oct. 22 2013, 8:49 pm)
. . . Honestly, if I hear one more person say " I just made it today" when I'm doing the pen test for counterfeit, I will come unglued. . . . . . .

Ha, ha. That's the first time I've heard that one.  :D

I rarely wait in line. Timing does matter. And I don't hold up the line, either. But a few months ago I had a $20-bill show positive in that pen test for counterfeit. I was in fact concerned because I'd just gotten the $20-bill out of the ATM at the bank.

But the manager came forward with a special gadget that can use some special light to look closer at the bill. And she proved it was not counterfeit after all. Sometimes the pen test is wrong. Oh well.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 12
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes the pen test can be wrong. From my understanding counterfeiters take five dollar bills, bleach them out and turn them into whatever bill they fancy. You are more likely to get a fake bill from the bank than anywhere else. Nothing like standing in line to buy a gun or ammo and tell me you counterfeited a hundred dollar bill.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When they whip out the pen, I say "careful, the ink is still wet"
 Post Number: 14
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Oct. 22 2013, 4:01 pm)
I know to some people this may seem foreign, but time your visits.

This!

I don't get mad those in line ahead of me.  I get mad at myself for not choosing a better time to shop.
 Post Number: 15
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was working at the Cafe at Zion Lodge about 5 years ago or so as the lead cashier when a young couple came in during the noon rush.  They got to me, then started discussing and asking about each item in the menu.  They took 15 minutes to make up their minds and they took the first thing they'd discussed.  The other cashier had helped 15 or so customers and I was still waiting on those two.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might have asked that fine young couple to step slightly aside, make up their minds, and I would take their order immediately after I finished with whoever was in front of me at the time.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Oct. 22 2013, 5:11 pm)
1. Get your credit card, cash, or checkbook out NOW because the stuff isn't going to be free.  Waiting until the cashier says "that'll be $XX.XX" to search for your source of payment is wasting the time of everyone in the line behind you.

2. Stop impersonating Monet when you sign the credit card or check.  A line squiggle works just as well as that picture you like to draw for your signature.

3. There should be a "no purses line."  I can pack for a 3-day backpacking trip faster than some women can re-pack into their purses whatever it is they take out to pay for their purchase.

Hi...

!00% correct...!!!

But even if a sign was posted...they STILL wouldn't know any better.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Oct. 23 2013, 9:41 am)

(nogods @ Oct. 22 2013, 5:11 pm)

Hi...
!00% correct...!!!
But even if a sign was posted...they STILL wouldn't know any better.
Signs have to be read: HUGE barrier in my experience.
 Post Number: 19
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love it when the person in front of me at the supermarket breaks their items into several separate purchases. Inevitably, they always pay each order in cash or by check.

Or when the person in front of me at Subway orders for their entire office. Of course, each one toasted. And half way through, it usually requires a call back to the office to verify an order.

HULK SMASH!!!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 20
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find it unnecessary to worry about such things.  I'm just not in that much of a hurry.
Needless to say, my stress levels are lower than most.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 21
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Oct. 23 2013, 1:23 pm)
I find it unnecessary to worry about such things.  I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

Patient, laid back people make me SO ANGRY!!! :angry:

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 22
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 23 2013, 3:17 pm)

(no_granola @ Oct. 23 2013, 1:23 pm)

Patient, laid back people make me SO ANGRY!!! :angry:

Glad I could help you out.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 23
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find that well timed farts tend to speed up the line, or at least make people think the next line is faster

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 24
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Oct. 23 2013, 4:24 pm)
I find that well timed farts tend to speed up the line, or at least make people think the next line is faster

That will get rid of a hovering supervisor too.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 25
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to mention paint on the checkout counter.

Do slow lines really justify weapons of mass destruction??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have four kids. I do nothing but wait...for them to get in the car, to get their seat belts on, to get out of the car, to get inside the restaurant, etc...

I make them find "a great seat". They are offered one choice - Chicken or burgers. Then, they sit down and wait knowing that I will get them something edible. I can order faster for a family of six than most can order for themselves. I've got every nit pick mastered from who doesn't like pickles, onions, tomatoes to who wants cheese and ketchup.

If I am in the grocery store, I'm sorry. My cart...is always packed...FULL. You'll never find me in the express line so I probably won't be holding you up. I can't leave the grocery store without six gallons of milk. I'm in no rush to leave either...because that means I'm most likely going home to a screaming household of hungry children. If they are with me, they're in those cool little cars attached to the cart. They're not allowed out which means they won't be bothering you and in that case...trust me, I want out of there just as much as you want me out of there.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 27
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thought about this thread when I was at the PO this a.m., in line behind a guy who had a package and 4 money orders.  Didn't open his "purse" to hunt out his glasses until he got to the desk. . . then tried so many times to get his pin right that he froze his card.  Of course only one station was open, so the line grew long.  I really did stay patient, mostly, though I was starting to feel a) tired of standing, and b) time pressure.  

When I got to the counter (after the clerk had to cancel the money orders and collect cash for the package), the clerk found the guy had left a paper there, some kind of fortune or something.  So he says, "maybe his lucky number" and I couldn't resist.  All I said was "or not," but it sure broke up the clerk!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 28
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually abhor waiting, but I enjoy the grocery store.  I can always take an adventure in my mind while the rest of me is idle.
 Post Number: 29
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it weren't for standing in a grocery store line, I would never be able to get the latest picture of some celebrity in her swimsuit.  I used to get a laugh out of some paper tabloid, but they seem to have stopped printing.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both my wife and I enjoy making small talk with the cashiers and baggers, which causes endless embarrassment for our teenagers.  It's the same in restaurants, and pretty much anyplace else we go.
69 replies since Oct. 22 2013, 5:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How to speed up the cashier line
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions