2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: World Series< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 9:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first inning was wild.  The second was 2 more runs scored by Boston.  Before things got underway, I was thinking Boston in 6, but they have caught some early momentum that might carry them through for winning it all in 5.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still say the Cards in six, but I have to admit this is a big confidence fix for the Red Sox.

Pitching will tell in the end.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm pulling for the Sox.
 Post Number: 4
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

St. Louis is the greatest baseball city in America.

Boston is the second greatest baseball city in America.

My Cards will have their hands full with Boston.

Can't really stand Boston...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go BoSox!
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 5:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeeze, outside of Beltran's great catch, what a wretched display of defense and a plethora of mishaps by the Cards.....they looked like little leaguers.  Very much out of character for them.  If Beltran is hurt and is not 100%, it doesn't look good for the Cards.
 Post Number: 8
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The breads vs the birds......the first game was painful to watch.

Hopefully tonites game is a little more.....even.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Comes on too late!

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 10
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beltran is going to need to give the team a pep talk. Should be interesting. I suspect the Cardinals will have their act together for game 2.
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go Astros!!!

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a BoSox fan. My brother and father are Cards fans. If the Cards end up winning, better them than anyone else.

I think the BoSox will either sweep, or win in 7. It depends on the Cards pitching. I think the Detroit series was a big confidence booster for the Sox. Detroit's starters pitched as good as humanly possible, yet the Sox still prevailed. I could see it in the eyes of the Sox in last night's game... they got more and more confident because they were hitting again!!! If Wacha doesn't shut them down tonight, it could be a quick Series.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 13
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Oct. 23 2013, 11:15 pm)
St. Louis is the greatest baseball city in America.

Boston is the second greatest baseball city in America.

My Cards will have their hands full with Boston.

Can't really stand Boston...

Being from Missouri I have to side with St Louis, even after the game last night. We're about 125 miles north and everyone is still pumped up for the Red Birds here.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it is 1-1 now, and the Sox were the team looking like they had two left feet tonight.

I am still predicting the Cards, but it will probably be 7 games, no matter who wins.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like teams that wear red laundry.

Plus, I hate any team that plays in Boston. I hate any player that plays (or played) in Boston. They should all rot in hell - or at least at the bottom of the standings.
 Post Number: 16
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a national league fan, feeling that if you're going to bat you need to field also.

So, I'm pulling for St. Louis.

Regardless of who wins, at the end I hope we can all say it was a great series and we were all entertained.

Interesting games is what I'm hoping for.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, 'slinger, what did you think of the first two, vis a vis, entertaining??

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, entertaining for sure.

Neither team won IMO but both lost due to errors.

Will Ortiz play in St. Louis?  He's amazing and fun to watch....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 19
hwy395lvr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Papi will make a rare appearance at first base and Napoli will be the first right-handed hitter off the bench.Definite disadvantage to the Sox without the DH. I lived in St.Louis for five years and Boston for five also. Love both teams and want to see it go seven games but I'm pulling more for the Sox this year. Amazing what both teams have accomplished.Red Sox come back after losing 93 games in '12. Cardinals lose Pujols, Berkman,Carpenter,Motte and are right back in it. Their young pitchers should carry them for years.
 Post Number: 20
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hwy395lvr @ Oct. 26 2013, 4:18 pm)
Papi will make a rare appearance at first base and Napoli will be the first right-handed hitter off the bench.Definite disadvantage to the Sox without the DH.

Is he capable of reaching down for a ball in the dirt?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a hard decision for the Sox to make.

Both Napoli and Ortiz are fun to watch....shame they have to sit one on the bench.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, but it is more like real baseball.

Designated hitter is a cop out.  Maybe we should shorten baselines to 60 feet, or bring the fences in to 290 feet.  

Real baseball is one of the best games ever devised, and all the little proportions are perfect to test human capability, including teaching pitchers how to bunt and hit, or at least how not to hit into a double play every time.

The game is cheapened by the designated hitter, IMO.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No argument from me, as I agree 100%....I don't care much for the DH rule myself.

This was the best game of the three so far, both teams played error free ball... So, the Cards win game three on an obstruction call in the bottom of the ninth.

A controversial call no doubt and sure to be debated again and again....especially if the Sox lose the series.

It was a very unusual ending to an otherwise great game.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Oct. 26 2013, 6:59 pm)

Designated hitter is a cop out.  Maybe we should shorten baselines to 60 feet, or bring the fences in to 290 feet.  

Real baseball is one of the best games ever devised, and all the little proportions are perfect to test human capability, including teaching pitchers how to bunt and hit, or at least how not to hit into a double play every time.

There's also the pure joy of watching a NL pitcher actually hit a home run. As a Nationals fan I can say the whole stadium stood up for Gonzales last summer when he hit his first career homerun. And the expression on his face was priceless.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 25
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Oct. 26 2013, 6:59 pm)
Designated hitter is a cop out.  

It's definitely a better game without the DH rule. I've always been a NL boy myself - love that Small Ball baseball.
MLB would be smart to treat steroid & HGH use like they do gambling - zero tolerance. I feel this would result in a much more entertaining game than the home-run derbies of Steroid Ball that has become so prevalent today.

Team wise, the team of my youth was the Expos but since they folded up & moved to DC, probably my favorite NL team is the Cards.  In the AL it's the Red Sox, so I plan on enjoying this year's series.
 Post Number: 26
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I must pick a team to watch, it's Boston.  I loved my time in New England and will move back there to retire.  Fenway is an amazing place to see a game.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 27
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 27 2013, 9:36 am)
If I must pick a team to watch, it's Boston.  I loved my time in New England and will move back there to retire.  Fenway is an amazing place to see a game.

The AL does have the nicest parks.
No DH & natural grass - that's how baseball was meant to be played!
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the nostalgia that Fenway offers.  Maybe we'll see a world series at Wrigley field?

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Game 3 was certainly entertaining, right down to the walk off stumble!

I think the umpire's call was correct, it really was obstruction and Craig would have scored fairly easily if he had not tripped over Middlebrook who was laying in the basepath.

But it was a great game before that, with the two Boston comebacks, and the decisions about pitchers at bat having a big part in the final outcome.

What a World Series!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 30
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Oct. 27 2013, 7:36 am)

Jim, where were you in New England?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
48 replies since Oct. 23 2013, 9:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply World Series
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions