2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Car battery issue.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 2:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I had a friend jump my car last night after the car didn't start and I discovered great amounts of fluffy corrosive material around the connections. I let it sit for 15-20 minutes, drove it for 5 minutes, tried to restart it -nothing. AAA came today and told me my starter is fine, my alternator is fine, and that my battery may or may not be fine. He jumped me, I drove for almost a half hour, and it still doesn't start (though it seems a little more charged than when I tried to start it again after driving last night). The AAA guy said I might have to bring it to an auto parts store to recharge the battery, and that driving it around doesn't necessarily charge it back up if it has so little charge. Based on my experiences, does this have a chance of working? Or do I need a whole new battery?

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How old is the battery?

Not a good sign that this trouble arrived in conjunction with cold weather.

Have you made sure that the connections and cables are solid?

Should not be a lot of corrosion on a good battery with good connections.

Is your battery one that you can add water to??  If so, is it full of distilled water?

Take it to the parts store and have the battery tested.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you ever clean the corrosion off the battery terminals?

If not go get a terminal cleaning brush, if you've pole terminals they make a nice circular wire brush thingy that you can push down over the terminal once you've disconnected the cables and then rotate it to clean off the corrosion, often with a pointy brush accessory for cleaning the same out from the cable end connector.

Jumping often doesn't run current through the battery (that depends on the car arrangement) so even if the battery terminal connections are insulated with corrosion to the point there's no electricity flow, the car will start but nothing will reach the battery from the generator so you won't build up a charge. Same reason a charged battery wouldn't be able to start the car: no electricity to the starter from the battery…

Batteries do get damaged by draining them completely, but doing it once shouldn't kill it so cleaning things up and then charging it has a chance of working.

Oh and five minutes is way too short: drive for maybe 20 miles to get a decent charge into the battery. After cleaning the connections.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp....xqWFbLQ

Living near the ocean corrosion is a constant battle.
 Post Number: 4
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF, Remi said towards the end he drove for 30 minutes... if it wont restart after that then I say good chance the battery is dead. Do you have a volt meter? I assume the AAA guy checked things out, if you have close to 14 volts at the battery terminal with the engine running it means the alternator and charging circuit is working. If only 12V or less, then its an alternator/electrical problem.

Batteries only last so long, I've had them last as little as 2 years and up to about 5-6. If they are marginal then the first bit of cold weather usually kills them.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can clean off the corrosion with a mix of water and baking soda, but my bet is a bad battery.
 Post Number: 6
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The corrosion is gone. The car lived in FL most of its life, and this is the beginning of its first full year in CO. Sigh. Guess I have to wait until I get paid for the new battery. I'm still going to try and charge it at a shop.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Oct. 29 2013, 12:25 pm)
HSF, Remi said towards the end he drove for 30 minutes... if it wont restart after that then I say good chance the battery is dead. …..

Only if they cleaned the terminals.

Which it seems they did.

ETA: Well the test is an easy enough one, they can run  charge onto it and see whether it holds and test the fluid inside for specific gravity with a battery fluid tester so then you'll know.
 Post Number: 8
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you need a new battery. It's just running off the alternator after being jumped. It will do that, even with a battery that's completely dead.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get it tested at any auto parts store. They'll do it for free. Also, you have a PM.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1) Wipe off the top of the battery.
2) Check the date on the battery. Below are the markings on a 3-year-old battery. Month and year tabs are dented, punched, or removed:
    JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC
    06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13
3) Batteries are generally made for 3-year or 5-year life expectancy. Have your battery replaced now if it is due to expire this winter.
4) Do not rely upon your alternator (generator) to recharge your battery. It could ruin the alternator. Alternators are designed to maintain charge on an already-charged battery — but are not designed to charge a dead battery.
5) The battery cables and posts need to be cleaned until they are shiny-new looking. Then the cable ends need to be tightened onto the battery posts for adequate maintenance of charge — after you replace the battery or before you recharge the battery. You can buy a plug-in battery charger for far less than you can replace the alternator.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you don't have enough cold cranking amps to turn over the engine since the battery is fine while the car is running  . . . which means you need a new battery.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Battery!

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
11 replies since Oct. 29 2013, 2:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Car battery issue.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions