2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: minus one canoe paddle, a bizarre morning< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
big_load Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two guys are doing drywall work in my garage this week.  A little while ago, one of them knocked on Mrs. big_load's office door to tell her that there was a problem with one of our canoe paddles.  

She assumed at first that they dropped something on it while moving things around.  If only that were true.   He had actually just come up from the street in front of our house, where an incident was still in progress.  A pregnant woman walking her dog was attacked by a neighbor's pit bull, a rescue dog that is never outside the house unleashed (until today) and had previously shown no signs of aggressiveness.  The drywallers heard screams and grabbed the canoe paddle, which they broke on the dog's head to no avail.  It eventually took three people to get the dog off the woman, at a time when there would normally be nobody around.  The victim had injuries to her hand, but the pit bull's owner needed treatment for symptoms of shock and possible heart attack.  Oddly, the pit bull did not harm the victim's dog.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What color was the paddle?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Oct. 30 2013, 12:51 pm)
What color was the paddle?

Green plastic blade and green plastic-coated aluminum shaft.

I'm glad it wasn't one of our nice bent-wood paddles. (Those are safely tucked away where nobody would be tempted to re-purporse them.)
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yah, but a good wooden paddle might have been a lot more effective in stopping the pit bull?

No baseball bat when you need it, neh?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately the bats are in the house.  I'm sure he would have been more successful if he knew there was one available.

ETA: the wooden paddles make poor weapons, since they are so much lighter than the aluminum ones.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well at least it was just the one paddle that they used. I hope both women turn out OK medically. I imagine the pit bull will be spending some time at the dog pound.
 Post Number: 7
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, the pit bull owner was in process of a heart attack before or after the pitty attacked the other woman?

Here's the thing that concerns me with my dog. Katy is very fearful of people. A few weeks ago, I twisted my ankle and fell on her first walk of the day (5am). Someone else was out walking their dogs. She wasn't even close, but yelled and asked if I was okay. Katy went ballistic.

If anything were to happen to me on one of our walks, Katy wouldn't let anyone get near me for help.

It sucks that the pitty attacked another human. :( I hate stories like that.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Oct. 30 2013, 3:22 pm)
So, the pit bull owner was in process of a heart attack before or after the pitty attacked the other woman?

After.  She was very distraught.  The dog was a gift from her children when her husband died, so she's quite attached to it, but she's also shocked and horrified by what happened.

Ironically, the dog's name is Chance, because they considered the adoption its second chance at a good life.
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the thing that concerns me with my dog. Katy is very fearful of people. A few weeks ago, I twisted my ankle and fell on her first walk of the day (5am). Someone else was out walking their dogs. She wasn't even close, but yelled and asked if I was okay. Katy went ballistic.

If anything were to happen to me on one of our walks, Katy wouldn't let anyone get near me for help.

Looks like you've got some training work to do!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Oct. 30 2013, 2:14 pm)

Looks like you've got some training work to do!

Yep. And we've been trying. We have people over, hand them to leash to walk her. She gets use to women before she gets use to men.

She's a handful, but we love her to pieces. She's just a work in progress. :)
 Post Number: 11
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love dogs and know that there are plenty of good pit bulls out there, as there are with plenty of other dogs, but there are also bad varieties of any dog out there.  I cannot imagine why the dog would attack a person for no reason.  I'm glad the drywall installers were there to help.  A lot of other people would just pass the incident by.

Hope everyone is okay.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMPORTANT FACTUAL CORRECTION:

After everyone calmed down, I got a more accurate account.  The pit bull did go after the other dog, not the woman, who was relatively unscathed.  It was the dog's owner whose hand was mauled.   The pit bull had grabbed the other dog by the neck and was shaking it, and she was bit trying to pry it loose.  Being struck on the head with the canoe paddle the first couple times caused only brief interruptions in the attack.  

AFTERMATH
The little dog is apparently OK. I don't know about the owner.  The neighbor who owns the pit bull remains very distraught and thinks she can no longer trust her dog, especially since she was bitten herself  and wasn't able to stop the attack without considerable help.
 Post Number: 13
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

YAY sheetrockers...!!
 Post Number: 14
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Oct. 31 2013, 12:51 pm)
IMPORTANT FACTUAL CORRECTION:

After everyone calmed down, I got a more accurate account.  The pit bull did go after the other dog, not the woman, who was relatively unscathed.  It was the dog's owner whose hand was mauled.   The pit bull had grabbed the other dog by the neck and was shaking it, and she was bit trying to pry it loose.  Being struck on the head with the canoe paddle the first couple times caused only brief interruptions in the attack.  

AFTERMATH
The little dog is apparently OK. I don't know about the owner.  The neighbor who owns the pit bull remains very distraught and thinks she can no longer trust her dog, especially since she was bitten herself  and wasn't able to stop the attack without considerable help.

Yikes!  That is scary.  I carry pepper spray with us on all walks for that reason - I don't know if I'd ever be able to use it without getting my dog as well, but it gives me a small sliver of peace of mind.

I don't know that I would trust a dog after that either - having a dog of that size, with that much power - you have to be able to control them.  What if it were a kid walking the other dog?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's no "thinking" about it, the owner *knows* she can't trust the dog.

I never believed the "no bad dogs" mantra but some [few] are indeed just bad; but this dog likely could have been a great dog...with the right person. Pitbulls seem to attract posterior orifices...or well intentioned folks like your neighbor. That's fine, but as already noted some folks aren't suited for some dogs. If this woman had cardiac troubles from this incident the dog needs new digs now.

Sorry about your paddle man.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pathfinder1 @ Oct. 31 2013, 3:11 pm)
YAY sheetrockers...!!

I thanked them profusely today for acting quickly and effectively.
 Post Number: 17
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sons dog, who lives with us about half time when my son is working on a fishing boat, and I were walking with him on a leash. A lady with three corgis on one leash had come onto my property to pick berries and one of the smaller dogs slipped his collar and charged my dog. This blind, two year old boxer/Pitt stood there and let the smaller dog bite his neck and belly. It happened so fast I didn't react for what seemed like forever and when I did try to kick the little dog away the owner managed to grab it up and back away. It was scary and I can't imagine how much more so with a bigger dog. I've known a lot of good pibbles but I wouldn't keep one that had any history of attacking humans, well or any other dog breed either. But so sad when something triggers a good dog. I'm thinking maybe it was already upset and sensing an oncoming episode with its owners health. Some dogs can sense seizures before they happen so why not a cardiac emergency?

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think she was OK before the attack, but she's not young nor in good shape and she ran half a block when she saw what was happening.  She twisted her ankle and broke her thumb as she fell while wrestling the dog.  Mrs. big_load found out that she had surgery on her hand today because they couldn't close her wounds with stitches.  The EMTs concluded that she was in shock due to her injuries and panic, although they were initially concerned about her heart.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but this created more buzz in the neighborhood than when the people across the street had two cars firebombed in the early hours of Christmas morning a few years back.
 Post Number: 19
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And people worry about wild predators. One of the towns in this area had a mountain lion fall asleep up in a tree in front of the courthouse. No one was hurt at all. But, of course, it was killed. And the townsfolk spread the alarm for their children. Sounds like, from this event, the real dangers are walking the sidewalks in the guise of someone's pet.

Good thing you had the paddle in the garage.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 20
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Nov. 01 2013, 11:04 am)
And people worry about wild predators. One of the towns in this area had a mountain lion fall asleep up in a tree in front of the courthouse. No one was hurt at all. But, of course, it was killed. And the townsfolk spread the alarm for their children. Sounds like, from this event, the real dangers are walking the sidewalks in the guise of someone's pet.

I am definitely more nervous about dogs when hiking alone or with my dog.  Some of our trails pass near farms or country houses, and I always worry about loose dogs.  So far, so good, but we have been attacked (4 times) by the little ****-poo downstairs.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 21
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Oct. 31 2013, 5:28 pm)
Yikes!  That is scary.  I carry pepper spray with us on all walks for that reason - I don't know if I'd ever be able to use it without getting my dog as well, but it gives me a small sliver of peace of mind.

Saith the cop...

Douse the fight, both combatants if need be.  Your dog will recover just fine.  Spray the attacker until he breaks off the attack and then get you and your dog out of there.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
20 replies since Oct. 30 2013, 12:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply minus one canoe paddle
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions