2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: It has started, Kids flocking to the door for candy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 7:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They just started to come to the door at 7 but the numbers are increasing.  

So do u'll see the zombies and Cinderella's etc come to your door?

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have had 20 or so kids already.  We were warned by a neighbor to expect about 200.  Mostly so far, I have seen bugs, a ninja, a cheerleader, and 2 brothers about 6-8 who were a SCUBA diver and a Shark.  SCUBA Kid had a 2 liter bottle on his back with a little camel back tube leading to his mouthpiece.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No one's come back here since a neighbor's kid had a crush on our youngest daughter about 10 years ago.  I think we scrounged some crusty marshmallows from the cabinet, but he didn't care as long as he got to see her.

We're 1/2 mile down an unpaved road with no lights.  It's dark, cloudy (no light from moon or stars), and there's a light rain.  It's scary back here...
 Post Number: 4
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably 30 kids came through which is a lot for us.  They were all polite and happy, even in the rain.  Good year by my standards.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are still coming to my house.  So far about 100 by my count.  Most of the kids said "thank you" some with a little help from a parent figure.

I live near a very poor area and the parents bring the kids over here which is fine with me.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 6
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In sixteen years here we have had one trick or treater but I'm just as glad. After dark this time of year my apple trees get bears.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

9 PM, and it appears to be over.  We got about 80-90 kids, and no young teens not in costume.  We also did not hand out letters to any obese kids, so there is that.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turned the light off a little after 9 and am ignoring any knocks on the door now.  I counted over 110 kids all but a few in costumes.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's 8:15 here, we've had about 25 kids come by, weather is nice now but had 5" of rain earlier today, lots of folks heading to indoor events

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 10
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in an apartment; kids don't come here. That means the candy is mine, all mine!  :laugh:

I did volunteer to help with the Halloween Party at the hospital where I work (last Friday), so I got my Halloween fix then. It was an event mostly for kids. Lots of fun!

Haunted House

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

7:10 here and no one has come yet.  My boys have gone off with their friends. . . Wonder if I'll ever see them again :D

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Teen boys?  You might make a friendly call to your local LEOs to make sure they are not in the pokey.  :)  

--------------

Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too early for that.  Only half past seven here.

Honestly?  I don't worry much about my guys.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is the quiet ones that will surprise you.  I was a quiet nerdy type in HS.  Is the thought that you may be raising another Zeke scary enough?  

--------------

Post Number: 15
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've given up worrying about Grubbygoose but he has my dog and I worry about the dumb blind mutt on Halloween
BigRed is here in the house but there is a lot to worry about there so for now I've just let it go. I'm all worried out

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 16
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had a very light turnout, partly because of light rain.   This was the first trick-or-treat in three years, since last year was wiped out by Hurricane Sandy and the year before was wiped out by Snowtober.
 Post Number: 17
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took the boys out last night and was surprised by the number of people not participating. I'd say only one in four or five houses made it clear that they were open for business or opened the door (despite being lit up).

But the kids had a good time which is all that matters.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 18
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like some people are jumping off the consumer bandwagon.

What a great trend, much more effective than giving written warning to fat kids.

My wife calls engagement showers, "white, middle class muggings."

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 19
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Surprising turnout this year, maybe 30 or so. It had been dropping over the past few years. Numbers really dropped off after 9/11. We went from almost running out of multiple bags of candy to, maybe, six kids a couple of years ago.
 Post Number: 20
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seemed a little slower last night than usual.  My wife and I took the kids out and they got an insane haul over just a couple of blocks.  And I would say only about half the houses were participating.  My MIL stayed at our house and handed out candy.  She gave out one 150 piece bag.  We had another left but closed up shop about 7:30.  In retrospect this might have been too early as our door bell kept getting rung till 9.  But that might have been by ruffians.  They rain might have kept the numbers down a bit this year.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 21
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We went trick or treating with our boy for about 1.5 hours, then came back to the house and handed out 3 huge bowls of candy within 45 minutes.  Would've done more, but I developed a bad migraine :(

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
20 replies since Oct. 31 2013, 7:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply It has started
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions