2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fall hiking over before it started< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 3:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So on saturday I was helping my oldest son warm up for his soccer game with a one-on-one scrimmage. He tried to boot the ball past me, I jumped up to block/control the ball with my foot, and when I came down I felt a pop in my right foot.

The pain was something else and after I dropped him off I headed to the ER. The doctor there suggested that it was a rupture of my plantar fascia and ordered that I see a podiatrist.

The podiatrist confirmed the diagnosis and while I still need an MRI to see how many fibers broke he has me in a boot for the next two months.

Not only is ice climbing in Iceland later this month off the table, but he told me no hiking at least through December; maybe even longer depending on the damage done. And winter soccer is probably right out as well.

This is gonna be a long two months...

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lousy news: they check for any underlying issue that enabled the failure?
 Post Number: 3
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Germantown Soccerplex?  
We spend an inordinate amount of time there these days.  
Fear of injury is why I don't scrimmage with my daughter.  That and she is better than me.  Bummer about missing out on the ice climbing and hiking.  This is great hiking weather in DMV.  Feel better.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

Injuries are so frustrating.
 Post Number: 5
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch!  Iceland is a very cool place.  It sucks to get old, getting hurt doing rather mundane things.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rotten luck. But take care of that foot.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Speedy recovery. I ended up in a boot last December as well, also injured not from hiking, though it sounds like you did more damage than I did.

All these threads about staying safe on the trail -- how about staying safe off the trail?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well that's crappy.  Mend well.  Are you still going to Iceland, or was the trip just for ice climbing?

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear that.  Mend well and fast.
 Post Number: 10
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, injuries suck.  I had a bad shin splint two years ago.  After giving it months to heal, I managed to injure my Achilles tendon this year.  Ugh.  You have to give it sufficient time, or else the injury can become chronic.  

I thought I remembered that Phil Werner had experienced a plantar fascia problem.  Here's his post on it - hope he doesn't mind (read the comments, too):

http://sectionhiker.com/plantar_fasciitis_hiker/
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 04 2013, 2:09 pm)

Yeah... trying to "time" when to get hernia surgery.

It ain't cancer...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 12
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, dang....

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Nov. 04 2013, 1:32 pm)
All these threads about staying safe on the trail -- how about staying safe off the trail?

That does seem to be a bigger issue for many of us!  Heal well, Tomas.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang that sucks!  I broke my ankle playing around with a soccer ball.  I'll tell ya'll about it one day.... :p

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 15
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm really sorry man.  Heal up.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to hear this bad news.  I've never heard of a ruptured plantar fascia.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 17
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks folks. The frustrating part is not being able to enjoy the fall to its fullest potential. But if I behave I can have the boot off in time for winter.

The trip to Iceland has been modified - the extended glacier hike and ice climbing is off the table. But I'll figure something out.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 18
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great sympathy. I used to sprain my ankle regularly trail running, aggravated because I wasn't giving it time to heal. Eventually I adapted a mantra: worse than missing the weekend is missing a month, worse than missing a month is missing a season, worse than missing a season is missing years. i.e., let it heal or pay a higher price.

That helped  :D  . That, and a wobble board rejuvenated my inner mountain goat.
 Post Number: 19
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 04 2013, 8:17 pm)

(big_load @ Nov. 04 2013, 2:09 pm)

Yeah... trying to "time" when to get hernia surgery.

It ain't cancer...

Get it done.  Get it over with.  That, the recovery from surgery, was the most pain I've been in in a looooooong time.

I did time mine to a vacation so I could lay on Mom's sofa and heal.  I actually got stuck halfway between standing and sitting and couldn't move without blinding, stinging pain right where no one wants it.

Sorry 'bout your foot, tomas.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 20
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bummer.  Sorry to hear about the injury.  Here's to a speedy recovery.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 21
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Nov. 05 2013, 11:26 am)
The trip to Iceland has been modified - the extended glacier hike and ice climbing is off the table. But I'll figure something out.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 22
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two words:

Blue Lagoon.

http://www.bluelagoon.com
 Post Number: 23
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow hope you 'heel' up and are good to go for next year.

I've had my share of foot and lower leg problems, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, etc, and found switching to a barefoot lifestyle helped immensely by strengthening the plantar, and all the rest of the muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc, as well as adopting a more natural gait. I know its not for everyone, now-a-days.

(jmarklane @ Nov. 04 2013, 7:05 pm)
Yes, injuries suck.  I had a bad shin splint two years ago.  After giving it months to heal, I managed to injure my Achilles tendon this year.  Ugh.  You have to give it sufficient time, or else the injury can become chronic.  

I thought I remembered that Phil Werner had experienced a plantar fascia problem.  Here's his post on it - hope he doesn't mind (read the comments, too):

http://sectionhiker.com/plantar_fasciitis_hiker/

Well I kind of disagree with most all the conclusions and suggestions on that site. So many seem to want to band aid the problem putting their foot in a 'sling' (stiffer supportive shoes, with arch support, motion control, etc.). So far doing pretty much the opposite has worked wonders for me, and I didnt line the pocket books of any podiatrist or shoe or insole company. I'd rather fix the problem instead of treat the symptoms.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 24
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Serves  un-American !@#$%^. Probably wouldn't have happened in real football where they get injuries ot be proud of like brain damage.

In all seriousness I hope you do heal well man.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
23 replies since Nov. 04 2013, 3:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fall hiking over before it started
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions