2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What trips are on your wish list?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cweston Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 4:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some trips on my current wish list:

Somewhere in the Winds (have never been) (Wyoming)

Sand Creek Loop over Cottonwood Pass, Sangres (Colorado)

Napeequa River/High Pass area, North Cascades (Washington)

Trans-North-Cascades-NP-hike via Whatcom Pass (Washington)

Elk Creek/Needles loop (from the train), San Juans, (Colorado)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Backpacking Trips?
Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop
Wonderland Trail
Isle Royale
Tahoe Rim Trail
High Sierra Loop in Yosemite
The Phantom Terrace in Colorado

Other trips - these are more big, bucket list trips, but I'm knocking them down:
Galapagos Islands (Christmas 2014)
Grand Canyon raft/dory trip - full canyon, 3 weeks - maybe 2015
Kilimanjaro/Safari trip
Trekking in Nepal
Haute Route hut hiking in Switzerland

I have plenty of time off work, but some of these trips are several thousand $$, so this list could take me 10 years to complete!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For many reasons, most of my Wish List are repeats of previous trips:  Red Peak Pass Loop in Yosemite;  North Lake to South Lake through Evolution Basin; Teton Crest near Jackson, Wy;  Thunder River to Deer Creek Falls in the Grand Canyon.  

At 62, I am looking to spend 3-4 weeks a year, in 5-7 day increments, backpacking.  I have discovered I do much better if I can hit town for beer and pizza or burgers between weeks on a 2 week jaunt.  Nothing like a layover day in a Motel 6 near an Outback.  To do this, we plan a nice loop with some sort of civilization before hitting the next loop in the area.  We may do Red Peak and N-S Lakes this Aug or Sept.    We are trying to get a permit for Thunder River/ Deer Creek this May.

If we successfully do all of that this year, I may have to start looking for more trips to repeat, like Kitterick to Matterhorn loop, or change locales and do something new in RMNP or Glacier.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of really obscure ideas for the Cdn Rockies (in & around Jasper NP) - you won't find these in any guide book or have a ranger be able to tell you much about them. These are on the hit list within the next ten years.

1. Hike to the Fraser River headwaters in BC (& back) - starting from Mt Edith Cavell in Jasper.

2. North Boundary trail region in northern Jasper NP ... helicopter drop to Hardscrabble Pass. Then hiking from Hardscrabble Pass (off trail) to Snake Indian Pass via the Caribou Inn Lakes route/scramble. Once through Snake Indian Pass, then exiting the North Boundary Trail via Mt Robson.

3. From the junction of the Chaba & Athabasca Rivers in Jasper NP ... hike the Athabasca River to it's headwaters. This is completely off trail once past the junction of these two rivers.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trips in general:
Alaska for an extended trip (not necessarily backpacking)
Glacier National Park, backpacking or car camping, as much as possible; also Waterton (Canada side of GNP)
Tetons - would love to car camp/backpack there.
The Winds - have never been there
North Cascades NP - have never been there

I know there are other places; I just can't think of them right now.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patagonia and beyond (planning a southern Bolivia/northern Patagonia trip).

Mongolia - like Patagonia, this will require multiple multi-week trips.

More of my local area (it's really hard for me to get out).

JMT.  Also possibly the High Sierra Route mentioned by Firedancer.

Absaroka mountains.

Glacier while it still has a few small glaciers.

Maybe Scotland.

Everyone I know who's been there (OK, that's not many) says Austria is the most beautiful country they've ever seen/backpacked.

Lots of other places I've probably never even heard about and will never see.
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JMT
Lost Coast
Havasu Falls
Santa Rosa Island, Channel Islands NP
Wind Rivers
Olympic NP
Kayak in the Everglades
Canoe in the Boundary Waters
Ruby Mountains
Trinity Alps

More in the Sierra:
Ediza Lake
Humphrey's Basin
Fourth Recess
Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
Hoover Wilderness

Local hikes:
San Jacinto Peak
San Gorgonio Peak (9 Peaks)
Willow Hole and Windows Loop in Joshua Tree
Sespe Wilderness

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 8
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baffin Island traverse
Arctic Char fishing trip in Alaska
Ski to the magnetic north pole

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 9
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usual working people only have a modest amount of PTO.  I'm quite content to continue backpacking in the limited range of Sierra Nevada, Arizona, and Utah and have considerable unfinished photography pursuits in each.    These areas are vast and like Ol-zeke, I already have a long list of places I'd simply be happy to go back to.   I find it more satisfying to get to know the truly great places well rather than knocking off shallow visits to a list of icon bucket list destinations.

If someone gave me a few million bucks so I didn't have to ever work again, I'd probably expand further about The West.  Although have seen pictures and films of other amazing exotic places on planet, don't spend any time dreaming about them or envying others trips to such.   And probably would yawn if was offered free all expenses paid trips to most.

Where I go much depends on conditions especially in droughty desert regions where the uncommon wet years are vastly more interesting than average summers.   Am keen to revist Colorado Plateau parks in Utah when spring conditions are good.  And last year discovered lots of superb areas at Petrified Forest NP to return to.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 10
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are only two long day hike/single over nighters completely planned for summer so far..

1) Long's Peak - Key Hole (gotta work up to that... I don't dig ledges)
2) Parika Lake - Never Summer Wilderness, Colorado

I plan on spending MANY days in RMNP though this warm season so I am sure much will added.
 Post Number: 11
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JMT (I've done many sections but never the entire trail)
Denali (hiking not climbing)
GDMBR (Great Divide Mountain Bike Route)

Lots of international stuff I'd like to work in:
New Zealand
Swiss Alps
Patagonia
Nepal/Himalaya
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Nov. 08 2013, 4:54 pm)
Backpacking Trips?
Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop
Wonderland Trail
Isle Royale
Tahoe Rim Trail
High Sierra Loop in Yosemite
The Phantom Terrace in Colorado

Other trips - these are more big, bucket list trips, but I'm knocking them down:
Galapagos Islands (Christmas 2014)
Grand Canyon raft/dory trip - full canyon, 3 weeks - maybe 2015
Kilimanjaro/Safari trip
Trekking in Nepal
Haute Route hut hiking in Switzerland

I have plenty of time off work, but some of these trips are several thousand $$, so this list could take me 10 years to complete!

Loved backpacking across Isle Royale - it should be on everyone's list

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only one I'll probably ever be able to do is a circumnavigation of the Cohutta Wilderness in North Georgia.  I mapped it out a few years ago.  Part trail, part bushwhack.  About a weeks walking.

It's one of the most beautiful places I know.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll limit my wish list to North America although there are lot of places around the world I'd like to hike.

Teton Crest (WY)

Wonder Trail (WA)

Something in the Olympics (WA)

Maze area in the Canyon Lands (UT)

JMT (CA)

Little Beaver-Big Beaver Loop in North Cascades (WA)

West Coast Trail (B.C.)

Something in GSNP (TN/NC)

The Brooks Range (AK)

If canoeing counts, the South Nahanni River  (NWT)

Ought to keep me busy for a while.

In the back  of my mind I've always had a hankering to do one of the long distance trails - AT, CD or PC. But I don't know  how realistic that is at this point in my life.  So many other things to fit in.  Still, who knows?  It's all about priorities.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking in Austria or Switzerland.

Been studying German for that.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 16
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in Ol-Zeke's age range, liking redoing "classics", and have some big daydreams also.

"Classics"

Feb. -- Grand Canyon (AZ) Descend Tanner, Escalante to Tonto Tr. to Kaibab

March -- Pictured Rocks Nat. Lakeshore (MI) Ski BP from Miner's Castle to the mouth of 7-MIle Cr., along Lake Superior shore, then southwest on the Beaver Basin Rim

Early May -- Green R., Canyonlands NP (UT) Canoe the Green above the Confluence, hike the canyons

Early June -- Great Basin NP (NV) North-South traverse of the Snake Range. Mount Moriah (NV) backpack to "The Table"

August -- North Cascades NP (WA) 1. Hike off trail to Whatcom Peak's west ridge base. 2. Sleep at Silesia (designated site on Copper Ridge)

September -- Trap Hills (MI) Upper Peninsula.

"Daydreams"

Sierra High Route (CA) Steve Roper's mountaineering alternative to the JMT (SHR stays high)

Luna Peak, Elephant Butte  North Cascades NP (WA). Two remote, non-technical, awesome view peaks. Both el grunto grande

Deep Creek Range (UT) North-South traverse
 Post Number: 17
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some where in the South West and New Zealand.

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The next one
 Post Number: 19
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least a couple of months in the wilds of Scandinavia. Back to the Andes. Back to central Asia. Somewhere mountainous and Arabic- or Farsi-speaking. These will be reality sooner than later. My next trips look like a potential Death Valley return, and a trip to Hispaniola this winter.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 20
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Nov. 08 2013, 6:48 pm)
rather than knocking off shallow visits to a list of icon bucket list destinations.

Geez…judge much?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 21
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonderland trail
The wet half of the TRT (sort of a half loop)
Swiss Alps
maybe something in New Zealand.
Mt Fuji
Colorado Trail

Not sure I'd want to try any of the true long distance trails (AT, PCT, etc..) but you never know.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 22
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Nov. 08 2013, 10:46 pm)
Wonderland trail
The wet half of the TRT (sort of a half loop)
Swiss Alps
maybe something in New Zealand.
Mt Fuji
Colorado Trail

Not sure I'd want to try any of the true long distance trails (AT, PCT, etc..) but you never know.

Let's see...

The TRT is worth the WHOLE trek.

The Swiss Alps are one of the pinnacles for moderately-high alpine scenery.

Mt. Fukushima   :D

AZT is superior to the CT...but maybe you've been there before.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 23
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 4:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done over 600 miles of the PCT in CA. If I never get to get back to it I'd like to do the best 200 mile sections in Oregon and Washington.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 24
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Antarctica.  Plus somewhere to see:

o  northern lights
o  an erupting volcano / red hot lava flowing into the ocean
o  a tornado

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 25
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Nov. 08 2013, 9:36 pm)

(Dave Senesac @ Nov. 08 2013, 6:48 pm)
rather than knocking off shallow visits to a list of icon bucket list destinations.

Geez…judge much?

+1

I don't really have a bucket list, but places that are high oh my "to visit" list (not necessarily hiking, but may include return trips) include:

Pictured Rocks
The Olympics
Switzerland
Antarctica
France
Italy
Dry Tortugas
Sipsey Wilderness
Costa Rica

And yes, what LameBeaver said: whichever trip is next. :;):

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 26
ErikC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1.Paula New Guinea
2.Solomon Island by sail boat
3.Middle east by camel
4.India  
5.Tibet
 Post Number: 27
ErikC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1.Paula New Guinea
2.Solomon Island by sail boat
3.Middle east by camel
4.India  
5.Tibet
 Post Number: 28
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd like to see the places my great-great grandparents tramped around in Scotland, Wales, and Germany.
The Inca Trail- Peru
something in New Zealand
something in Norway

Closer to home (some of these are do-overs):
some canyoneering in S. Utah
Wonderland
several trips in the Sawtooths and Bighorn Crags (ID)
Beartooths
Pioneers (ID)
Ross, Upper Ross, Louise Lakes in the Winds

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 29
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 09 2013, 6:41 am)
Antarctica.  Plus somewhere to see:

o  northern lights
o  an erupting volcano / red hot lava flowing into the ocean
o  a tornado

A tornado..  Come out here to the Eastern Plains of Colorado..  I'd like to go one summer without seeing one...ugh.
 Post Number: 30
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 08 2013, 10:12 pm)
The next one

Exactly!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
35 replies since Nov. 08 2013, 4:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What trips are on your wish list?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions