2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Change in life style, What are you contemplating or working on< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure we all have goals in life relating to improving our life style as it applies to our health.  I find this especially true for me as I get older.  For me, I'm really struggling to eat better and healthier.  I just love stuff like chips, red meat and ice cream far too much. Plus, I have an insatiable sweet tooth. But I'm working doing better with this stuff.

How about you?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

since moving to Florida, I am on a quest to find the best Fried chicken, fried catfish, and biscuits and gravy.  Nope, not doing more than one a week, and not every week.  Still, it is a mission.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 08 2013, 8:57 pm)
 Still, it is a mission.  [/color]

I suppose when you live in the South, it has to be.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2013, 9:14 pm)

The best fried catfish in the south is going to be in your backyard.  You'll need a fryer, and the ability to catch fish.  Fresh is the keyword here.

Fried Chicken?  There's a Holy Grail search that is so much fun.

Best biscuits and gravy?  Them's fightin' words.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eating healthy and working out every day for my health.  Also internal peace.  I work in Law Enforcement and the negativity is getting to me..  Returning to hiking, camping and healthy living is helping centre my self.  I also live with Cystic Fibrosis, which is not a lot of fun, but I refuse to give up.
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to transition to highly focused training and started in on it this past year. Just turned 65, everything's working pretty darn good. But if I want to keep doing the things I really enjoy outdoors ( :D off trail backpacking, non-technical mountaineering) for another 10 years I need to work even harder at it, do highly disciplined workouts and stretching. One  numerical goal: being able to do 5 thousand feet of vertical in a day (on trail) with a full load.
 Post Number: 7
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Training more for vertical mounaineering in addition to trail backpacking.

Eventually hiking in other countries.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 08 2013, 6:57 pm)
since moving to Florida, I am on a quest to find the best Fried chicken, fried catfish, and biscuits and gravy.  Nope, not doing more than one a week, and not every week.  Still, it is a mission.  

Aunt Catfish in Port Orange
 Post Number: 9
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never understood the need to satiate a sweet tooth; sweets simply don't do it for me, unless I'm on a hike. The craving doesn't arise.

My goal is one I've posted about here before: fewer than 14 beers per week...

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 10
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I'm buying a house closer to my son so I can spend more time with him.
I'm seriously considering quitting my job after the first of the year. I've become extremely tired of shift work and/or overtime.
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm working on just being more content with the way things are.
 Post Number: 12
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pay off my house and all my debt so I can retire early and do everything I want to do..because I have so much I want to do and there is no way I am working past 56 years old!!

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 13
CarFree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 09 2013, 9:27 am)
pay off my house and all my debt so I can retire early and do everything I want to do..because I have so much I want to do and there is no way I am working past 56 years old!!

That is the way to go.  Don't end up like my dad, whose life was constant work and then as my youngest sister was entering her senior year he and mom were making all their plans to travel, etc., then he got cancer and passed away 10 months later.

--------------
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Henry David Thoreau
 Post Number: 14
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2013, 8:14 pm)

South Florida is part of the South?  Who knew?! :D

http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2013/features/up-in-arms.html

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 15
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 08 2013, 6:57 pm)
since moving to Florida, I am on a quest to find the best ... biscuits and gravy. ..  

That would be at Taos, New Mexico's best Western (free breakfast #5) before trudging up Wheeler Peak from the ski area side.  Runners up is biscuits n'gravy  at any Denny's  :D  

With my metabolism when I am not backpacking, I need to get in at least 30 min of bicycle riding … so I choose to live in areas with designated bike trails or multi-use trails with no autos (or travel there if the weather isn't cooperating).   At this point, health being more important than wealth and the biking is becoming more important during the off-season from backpacking.  Only refined carbs (including booze) after a tough hike or bike trip.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 16
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2013, 5:54 pm)
I'm sure we all have goals in life relating to improving our life style as it applies to our health.  I find this especially true for me as I get older.  For me, I'm really struggling to eat better and healthier.  I just love stuff like chips, red meat and ice cream far too much. Plus, I have an insatiable sweet tooth. But I'm working doing better with this stuff.

How about you?

I try to find a balance.
5 or so days a week I try to treat my body like temple.  The other couple of days it's an amusement park.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Nov. 09 2013, 9:53 am)
South Florida is part of the South?  Who knew?! :D

http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2013/features/up-in-arms.html

I was beginning to see your point until I noticed the map showed a significant portion of Texas being in Appalachia.  But then, I guess Jimmy C does live there. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those contemplating a diet change, I'd recommend Dr. Campbell's Forks Over Knives as a starting point. You can download it on Netflix.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/about/cast-and-crew/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Colin_Campbell

Those of us with a Western Diet that are over 50 would do well to heed his advice and adjust accordingly...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 19
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 09 2013, 1:22 pm)
I was beginning to see your point until I noticed the map showed a significant portion of Texas being in Appalachia.  But then, I guess Jimmy C does live there. :D

Texas is so big, it gets to be part of three countries!  JimmyC lives in the Deep South part, so we'll keep him.  :;):

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 09 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Nov. 09 2013, 9:24 pm)
JimmyC lives in the Deep South part, so we'll keep him.  :;):

OK by me.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 4:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting post, HJ...!!!  

I've cut out some people in my personal life that were real negative.  I deal with a lot of negativity at work and find I have less patience with BS in my personal life.  I've really been enjoying my time away from work and recently started facilitating an outdoors club website.

Lame Beaver's post on being content resonates well with me, as I find myself enjoying life's simple pleasures more.

Actually thinking about getting back into kayaking out here in the Pacific Northwest.  

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
 Post Number: 22
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am always trying to eat better and lose weight, so that's nothing new!:p

I have put my house on the market and am looking to move back into the city (Chicago), back to a more urban lifestyle.  I've been in the suburbs for 7 years, because my job is in the suburbs, but it's time to change.  I've never felt at home in the 'burbs, I hate the fact that I have to drive everywhere because there are no sidewalks or bike lanes to safely travel any other way.  I find myself adopting a suburban mindset, I've filled a 1200 sq ft town home with "stuff."   In moving to the city, I'll spend the same money on rent, but likely get a 600-800 sq ft apartment.  I will keep my car for weekend trips to hike and kayak, and commuting to the suburban office two days a week, but otherwise look forward to walking everywhere again!  

Downsize and simplify are my buzzwords for 2014 :)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 23
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Firedancer,

Way back we used to live in Chitown. One fav worth mentioning, a tweak on the Dunes. Drive to Dune Acres, park, hop the trolley to Michigan City. Hike back along the shore, various alternatives.
 Post Number: 24
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I would have to add something to make a lifestyle change, as pared down as I have it now. I second Ranger Sven, though, and letting go of negative relationships certainly is something I am working on. No, not easy at all...
 Post Number: 25
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think at this stage as much as anything I'm trying to cope with the changes age has forced on me :p

Actually, the biggest change I'm working on is as much mental as anything: I'm trying to be a professional writer.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to get paid more, just that I write every day, and work at all the things writers do.  I'll take my cue from TJCeeJay--set your sights on your goal and work your arse off to get there.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 26
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Nov. 09 2013, 2:28 am)
My goal is one I've posted about here before: fewer than 14 beers per week...

Easy. Use a 365 week a year calendar.
 Post Number: 27
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 09 2013, 9:57 pm)

(CajunHiker @ Nov. 09 2013, 9:24 pm)
JimmyC lives in the Deep South part, so we'll keep him.  :;):

OK by me.

jer, would you and Cajun just decide where I'm gonna live, damn-it!!!! :laugh:

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 28
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2013, 8:54 pm)

How about you?

Oh jer baby, I've been wantin' for so long too hear you say those words....you are changing your lifestyle.....and listem hun, with that Brazilian butt of yours, you will always have a place in my heart, sweet cheeks!!!!!

Yours always, Jimmy.......................... :cool:  :laugh:  :blush:

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2013, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimmyC @ Nov. 11 2013, 4:02 pm)
jer, would you and Cajun just decide where I'm gonna live, damn-it!!!! :laugh:

You'd be out of place anywhere but in East Texas Jimmy.  Better y'all stay there.  Way too cold up here you anyway.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
NickHowes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Nov. 08 2013, 6:54 pm)
improving our life style as it applies to our health

Hi Jerry,

I know what you mean: I have a big sweet tooth, a near-addiction to chocolate, love chips, fried food, etc. (although I did give up meat twenty-five years ago).   I was overweight and not very healthy, even though I got a good amount of exercise.

When I turned 50 (two years ago), I decided to get serious about my health. I also watched "The Weight of the Nation", which led me to investigate the science behind diet and eating.

I reduced my caloric intake, ate healthier foods, and increased exercise somewhat.  I'm now healthier (and 75lbs lighter).  It's a daily struggle to resist all those sugary goodies, but I'm committed to it.

I definitely think it was the right choice, and I'm happy I was able to do it.

- Nick
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
41 replies since Nov. 08 2013, 8:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Change in life style
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions