2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ever dropped breaking an electronic gadget?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 12:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the last couple decades the numbers of small handheld electronic and electromechanical gadgets many of us carry around has been increasing exponentially.  Occasionally dropping devices is inevitable though damage other than cosmetic dings doesn't always occur.  

What have you dropped that broke?  
Anything plopped down into water?
How'd that happen?  
Was it while hiking or backpacking?
Totally unusable so was tossed in the trash?

That is the other issue with a lot of the newer gadgets.  When they break, repair costs and hassle to get anything done is often more than replacement.  

The smaller a device the more likely a gadget might be dropped, though the smaller a gadget, the less likely damage will occur...mass times velocity squared.    Some gadgets have optional little straps that can be installed to help grabbing onto.   Something I put to use while skiing by using a lanyard at the end connected to a coat pocket zip or ring.    Electromechanical devices as cameras are far more likely to break than pure electronic gadgets and the less lcd screens, buttons, cables, and connectors, the less likely anything will break.  A USB flash drive or a wristwatch are good examples of things so minimal and light that one while walking around could drop them even onto a concrete surface without anything breaking.   At the other extreme, dropping a digital camera is often lethal.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm trying to think of a gadget I haven't dropped.

Dropped a cell phone in the toilet once.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dropped... no. But I forgot about a digital camera in my pocket while crossing a river. Didn't end well.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've destroyed my share of photo-taking devices, to my detriment and consternation.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah :(
Killed 7 cameras in the last 3 1/2 years. I'm doing better, since the last two made it through about a year apiece. They were a waterproof(at the beach, just days past its warranty and suggested servicing to maintain waterproofness-go figure), then a nice P&S that survived all kinds of beatings for a year, only to get dropped lens first on concrete while playing putt-putt golf.
Had destroyed 3 P&S and a couple of cheap video cameras outdoors in one year before the waterproof.

Here's my newest one, that got wet the first time it got used, several times since, and scraped up while in a hipbelt pocket hiking last month. Like the rest of them, I'm sure its days are numbered...
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Headlamps...Part of the reason I only carry shockproof and waterproof headlamps now.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 5:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Nov. 13 2013, 9:49 pm)
I've destroyed my share of photo-taking devices, to my detriment and consternation.

Yup. Same here.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 13 2013, 1:43 pm)
Dropped... no. But I forgot about a digital camera in my pocket while crossing a river. Didn't end well.

Did the same thing with a smart phone....in salt water.....electronic devices DO NOT do well in salt water.  :(

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did the same thing with a smart phone....in salt water.....electronic devices DO NOT do well in salt water.

That's why I got this. Click on "toughness" and then look at "G'zGear" second.

Oh, and the screen is Gorilla Glass.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of my friends use the Casio Commando. About indestructible.

Me, I use an old-school LG flip phone. It's been dropped in a cup of coffee, and gone through the wash with the laundry. Each time I pulled it apart, put it in front of a hair-dryer for 20 minutes, and fired it back up. The camera hasn't worked in a long time, and the outside screen on the cover doesn't work, but so what!

Takes a beating, keeps on working...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 11
outbackpacker3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My dad broke that Casio G'z flip phone the guy at the store was actually impressed. You don't often see verizon store guys get impressed by a middle aged carpenter until he breaks the indestructible phone
 Post Number: 12
Peter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dropped a cell phone in a stream, and it was dead by the time I got it out. I went and got a new one, but two weeks later turned the old one back on. It had dried out and worked fine.

As for cameras, my old P&S needed a minor repair on the zoom button. I told the shop to go ahead with the repair (cost $120) then started checking for a cheap one to get me through in the meantime. I found one for $86, and it had more memory and better functions than the original camera! The better replacement cost less than the repair.
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My husband broke the screen on two Kindle Fires by dropping them, He tends to fall asleep while reading, but they are helpful on replacement. Even though damage from dropping isn't covered they only have a $100 replacement fee. And twice one of our kindles has malfunction on its own and all 4 times the replacement was here in 2 days, the other two there was no charge for

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dropped and broke my SLR camera lens back in 2004 while hiking in Zion - soon switched to digital so that was ok.  

Dropped my digital camera once while hiking near Chantry Flat on the Angeles NF, it rolled down an embankment a little but thankfully it was cushioned with dry leaves.  My friend Sonya scrambled down to get it.  It didn't look damaged and still worked afterwards.

My kid likes to play with my cell phone (Samsung Stratosphere II) and has dropped it at least 100 times.  The back cover and battery sometimes pop off, but I put them back on and it still works!  I have insurance on the phone in case at some point that doesn't work any more.  

My husband forgot his cell phone in his pocket once and went into a hot tub.  Ooops.  Those were the days pre-smart phone, so he just got another free phone.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 15
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Nov. 13 2013, 11:49 pm)

Ditto. Both of the digital variety and the old fashioned film variety.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my line of work that could get either phenomenally expensive (research instruments at 50, 100k a pop) and/or phenomenally dangerous (radioactive and neuro-toxic stuff) so maybe work habits translated to home: so no, never.

Hasn't stopped me from long ago getting an "all hazards" rider for my photo gear added alongside my home insurance, cheap (IMHO) peace of mind.
 Post Number: 17
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about did something bad and didn't break them?

I have a 5 1/2 year old Panasonic Lumix camera that has been dropped several times, LCD screen in back has multiple cracks, the whole body is scratched and gouged, still takes beautiful pictures.

I have a Cisco Flip video camera, shortly after I got it I had it in the bottom of a daypack and a water bottle leaked (not BPing), the camera was basically submerged in a puddle for a couple of hours, when I discovered it I did not try to turn it on, removed the battery and left it to air-dry for a week, when I finally did turn it on it worked fine and has for a couple of years now.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 18
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an electronic engineering tech, I sometimes have had to connect up dozens of instrumentation wires from test equipment to tiny microdevices on prototype printed circuit boards where the slightest bump on any of it could cause the whole thing to collapse like a house of cards destroying the board in the process and seriously effecting design projects.  Thus have spent a career of being very careful around equipment that even the engineers of such boards are afraid to touch.

Sometime in the 90s I was putting gear into my Subaru after a day skiing.  I pulled out a video camera that was on another tripod with legs closed up to clear some space inside.  I leaned the tripod against the hood, opened the back door then noticed something I went into reach for.  That of course caused the car to rock and the tripod with camera toppled over smashing the lens.

Despite the vast amount of photography I've done from before some of you were born,  I've only damaged camera gear 2 times. Have set up tripods on lots of very trecherous places but am always very careful especially in breezy conditions.   Once a $900 large format lens came loose from my view camera's front standard smashing on rocks because screws holding the mounting brackets had worked loose.  Total loss.  A couple decades ago I was using an Olympus OM-4T 35mm SLR at a world famous Pacific park near the edge of sea cliffs.  Gear had been dumped out of my daypack on a tilting surface.  Camera rolled off the edge bouncing about 30 feet down onto a ledge.  I called up a local mountaineering shop and hired some climber for maybe $70 or so to secretly rappel down for.  Sent it in for a repair but quote was too high to make it worthwhile.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 19
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(outbackpacker3 @ Nov. 14 2013, 7:11 am)
My dad broke that Casio G'z flip phone the guy at the store was actually impressed. You don't often see verizon store guys get impressed by a middle aged carpenter until he breaks the indestructible phone

Destroying a G'zOne Commando.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
18 replies since Nov. 13 2013, 12:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ever dropped breaking an electronic gadget?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions