2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rifle season soon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saturday begins any deer rifle season here in MO. Orange is not safe for hiking. Just forget it unless you go to a state park. And, check there before going because some have hunting in them. Not even safe for me to walk the local gravel roads in mid day this weekend. I live in a rural area with a lot of hunting pressure - locals and others if you will. A lot come on up from St Louis (100+ miles south).  A lot sit on arses on thermal fanny warmers in protected tree stands and take potshots at animals that are foraging for food or engaged in carnal things. Not bemoaning "hunting". Shoot, I hunt fish. After the big rifle season it's a not as popular rifle deer season, alternative methods deer season, black powder deer season, still turkey season (not real popular in the fall), and not as many hunters. Then I'll be in the woods in orange in late morning and out by mid afternoon. Just can't stand losing the woods for 12 or so days. Especially when the woods has a the new face and sound of late fall.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From a couple years ago:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oct - Nov is big in the desert Southwest for rifle deer/elk, though not every week.  A bit earlier (Sept) for high mountain areas.  

Found out the hard way that I do need to watch for duck season in Arizona if camped along a major river like the Verde north of Phoenix.  Even other hunters were fleeing for their lives with one madman trying to bag a duck on the last day of the season with continuous wild firing.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Nov. 14 2013, 7:34 pm)
A lot sit on arses on thermal fanny warmers in protected tree stands and take potshots at animals that are foraging for food or engaged in carnal things. Not bemoaning "hunting". Shoot, I hunt fish.

What, exactly is it that that deer do other than that?  Whitetail deer are extremely smart with a highly developed sense of sight and smell and are incredibly difficult to stalk.  Hunting from a blind or stand is usually the best way to get them when they are on the move.

Sorry, but it seems to me you are bemoaning hunting.
 Post Number: 5
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 14 2013, 8:34 pm)

(leafwalker @ Nov. 14 2013, 7:34 pm)
A lot sit on arses on thermal fanny warmers in protected tree stands and take potshots at animals that are foraging for food or engaged in carnal things. Not bemoaning "hunting". Shoot, I hunt fish.

What, exactly is it that that deer do other than that?  Whitetail deer are extremely smart with a highly developed sense of sight and smell and are incredibly difficult to stalk.  Hunting from a blind or stand is usually the best way to get them when they are on the move.

Sorry, but it seems to me you are bemoaning hunting.

Agreed. Staying out of the woods during Rifle Season in Missouri is your choice but not necessary IME. Put on Blaze Orange and go...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Nov. 16 2013, 9:47 am)
[/quote]
Agreed. Staying out of the woods during Rifle Season in Missouri is your choice but not necessary IME. Put on Blaze Orange and go...

No way am I going in the woods at the local conservation area where I frequent this weekend or the next 10 days. I've driven through the area (7000 acres) during the rifle season and ended up with a bullet hole in my back door (at 1 PM - not prime hunting time) and seen seen groups of hunter on three sides of a 20 acre open field in mid day hoping for a deer to run across. I hope none did because the hunters would have been shooting across that field where three or four other hunters were shooting across the field. And, the campgrounds are packed beyond capacity with a ranger moving groups camping from picnic area and picnic shelters. Just insane out there.
Now, I am not against hunting. Know lots of people who do and who share their adventures with me. Appreciate, especially, those that bow and other alternative hunt. Takes more stealth and skill then shooting a deer 200 yards away using a scope.
So, for the next two weeks the non-locals make it not a safe walk, orange doesn't make if safe, and I resent it. Wish they would shut the hunting down after 1 PM like in spring turkey season or between 10 and 2, or some such thing.

--------------
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 7
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

12 days?  Heck that's the problem, everyone has to hunt at the same time.

IMO they should set the harvest limit, open the place up for a couple of months and let the hunters hunt.  They're paying the bill anyway.

It's getting harder to support the state purchase of land when they limit the intended purpose to just 12 days a year.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 8
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From your post, we have to be in the same area. I don't gun hunt for deer anymore, so I hit the trails out at the Mark Twain Lake and hike or mountain bike them this time of year. We'll be hiking into camp site #3 Sunday if it doesn't rain. But I will have orange on.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bang,

--------------
- Chinese proverb

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 10
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've posted this before, but it seems appropriate again.

From the PCT here in Washington a couple of years ago.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hunt and I hike, sometimes at the same time.

Granted, there are more hunters in the woods during shotgun/rifle big game season, but I shake my head when I hear locals say they won't hike during hunting season, obviously unaware that hunting with rifles and shotguns is allowed 365 24/7.
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our rifle season just ended.  I try not to, but I don't like most hunters.  If it's a traditional way of life, a fair pursuit, and you use the entire animal, then I can get behind you.  But most hunters I encounter are really ignorant - they can't read maps, don't own a map, don't know where they're going, want me to tell them where the deer are, etc.  Then there's this...  

http://www.sbsun.com/general....ng-trip

according to our LEO's he accidentally shot himself then made up this story because he was embarrassed...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Nov. 17 2013, 8:32 am)
Our rifle season just ended.  I try not to, but I don't like most hunters.  If it's a traditional way of life, a fair pursuit, and you use the entire animal, then I can get behind you.  But most hunters I encounter are really ignorant - they can't read maps, don't own a map, don't know where they're going, want me to tell them where the deer are, etc.  Then there's this...  

http://www.sbsun.com/general....ng-trip

according to our LEO's he accidentally shot himself then made up this story because he was embarrassed...

Wow, talk about your stereotypes.

While I agree there are many "slobs in the ranks" of the hunting fraternity, there are many, many fine and intelligent people too.

I also find more hunters passionately and intelligently informed and in love with wildlife than the average backpacker.

In many parts of the USA hunting is absolutely critical to reducing the number of Whitetail deer, whose numbers are far greater than when the Vikings first set foot on the continent.

Game meat is a pure, lower fat, non-drug ladden alternative for those of us that won't eat the garbage sold in grocery stores.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In NYS before one can get a hunting license they have to take a 2-day hunter safety course.  Granted, even those who have taken the course won't necessarily act responsibly.

But any damn fool can go backpacking in flip flops and jeans in mid-winter, no requirements whatsoever.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 17 2013, 9:46 am)
In NYS before one can get a hunting license they have to take a 2-day hunter safety course.  Granted, even those who have taken the course won't necessarily act responsibly.

But any damn fool can go backpacking in flip flops and jeans in mid-winter, no requirements whatsoever.

Well said.

I took the NYS hunter safety course in 1973.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Colter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The risk from hunters is very low.

You are far more likely to be killed by lightning, or bees, or heat stress, than be killed by a hunter. Hunters are much more likely to rescue you than injure you.

Far more hikers are killed by fellow hikers than hunters.

It's another example of perceptions vs. reality.

--------------
Alone Across Alaska: 1000 Miles of Wilderness
Please check out my story and photos!

Post Number: 17
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Nov. 16 2013, 12:53 pm)
12 days?  Heck that's the problem, everyone has to hunt at the same time.

IMO they should set the harvest limit, open the place up for a couple of months and let the hunters hunt.  They're paying the bill anyway.

It's getting harder to support the state purchase of land when they limit the intended purpose to just 12 days a year.

Yes, and its worse here, deer gun season is only 1 week. It can get crazy even on private land.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 18
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In all fairness, while the average overall risk is very low, there are places, especially in states with limited public land, where you get a lot of hunters concentrated in a very small area.  I know I would not feel comfortable hiking in some of those places during gun deer season.
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 19 2013, 9:45 am)
In all fairness, while the average overall risk is very low, there are places, especially in states with limited public land, where you get a lot of hunters concentrated in a very small area.  I know I would not feel comfortable hiking in some of those places during gun deer season.

Bingo.

Last time I went hunting was bow hunting in public land. A bunch of guys showed up and started dove shooting. Not only did that drive all the deer away, but when I heard shot showering around me I knew that I was pushing my luck.

I had entertained the idea of heading out this year with the black powder rifle I built, but then blew out my foot.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 19 2013, 9:45 am)
In all fairness, while the average overall risk is very low, there are places, especially in states with limited public land, where you get a lot of hunters concentrated in a very small area.  

Just what I am saying. Where I live rifle season draws an enormous amount of people from out of the area to public areas. Locals hunt their own land or know someone... We drove out to the conservation area of 7000 acres 7 miles from home that we frequent a lot. At every possible place that a car could pull over there were three or four vehicles parked to hunt. And, this was at noon when most hunters take a break. The four camping areas that have about 10 pads each had well over 20 groups camping.  Driving into the nearest small city (40,000 pop) 35 miles from home Friday evening every 3rd vehicle on the state 2 laner was a camper. No way I'm in the woods then.

--------------
- Chinese proverb

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 21
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't we all just get along?  Come on now....group hug....

Tarol.....you too!:O

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Nov. 19 2013, 12:42 pm)
No way I'm in the woods then.

I think a good way to begin a risk assessment is to ask how often a negative consequence happens.

How many hikers are killed by hunters in the whole state of Missouri in a typical year? How about in history? How about nationally? On a typical year the hiker-death-by-hunter rate is zero. On the other hand, 31 people a year die "Bitten or crushed by other reptiles"

Statistically, hunting is a safe sport.

There are about 16,000,000 hunters nationally and only 100 deaths per year. (Many of those deaths are falls.) Almost all those deaths are hunters, not non-hunters.

If a hiker wears blaze orange the risk is minimal, even in firearm season.

--------------

Post Number: 23
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, that's a good way to look at it.  Until personal experience changes you mind.  I've been shot at.  Unnerving.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2013, 3:41 am)
Well, that's a good way to look at it.  Until personal experience changes you mind.  I've been shot at.  Unnerving.

How do you know you were shot at?

I wasn't there in your case, but it's clear that most people who report being shot at heard a nearby shot and feared the worst.

Regardless, real world statistics do not support excessive alarm about hiking during hunting season.

I have twice been on an aircraft when an engine quit. It's unnerving. Is flying dangerous? Should I stay home?

Life is 100% fatal. The health benefits of getting out for a brisk walk on a nice fall day surely outweigh the tiny risk from hunters.

--------------

Post Number: 25
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Colter @ Nov. 20 2013, 8:38 am)

(TDale @ Nov. 20 2013, 3:41 am)

How do you know you were shot at?

I wasn't there in your case, but it's clear that most people who report being shot at heard a nearby shot and feared the worst.

Regardless, real world statistics do not support excessive alarm about hiking during hunting season.

I have twice been on an aircraft when an engine quit. It's unnerving. Is flying dangerous? Should I stay home?

Life is 100% fatal. The health benefits of getting out for a brisk walk on a nice fall day surely outweigh the tiny risk from hunters.

The tree exploding 5 feet above my head gave me a clue.

I was shot at.  Wearing orange.  No doubt.

Much shouting involved.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 26
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As Travis pointed out, hunting seasons span the entire year. That being said, gun season for whitetails does seem to bring out more of the irresponsible types. JMO.
25 replies since Nov. 14 2013, 9:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rifle season soon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions