2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Forum Members Age Survey :: Total Votes:133
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Teens 0  [0.00%]
20's 2  [1.50%]
30's 17  [12.78%]
40's 32  [24.06%]
50's 46  [34.59%]
60's 33  [24.81%]
70's 2  [1.50%]
80's 0  [0.00%]
90's 1  [0.75%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Forum Members Age Survey< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 11:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After reading Hikerjer's thread wondering about members' age... I thought I would create a poll.  It's all anon. -- but feel free too add your comments.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hikin' Mike Search for posts by this member.
I'm walkin' like a Penguin now!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

48, but feels like 90 at times.

--------------
Mike

Backpacking/Hiking Website

Nature Photography Website
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure, 60s now, but I use to be in my 50s!!!

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
 Post Number: 4
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love marking "30's" on this sort of thing.  At 39, it makes me feel much younger than I actually am.  :)

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Nov. 14 2013, 9:08 pm)
I love marking "30's" on this sort of thing.  At 39, it makes me feel much younger than I actually am.  :)

I'm in the opposite place--I've only been 50 for a few month, and now I'm in my 50s!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with RebeccaD as I turned 50 in July and really wanted to mark 50 not 50's

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turned 40 this year. Wahhhhhh.....

I was 28 I think when I found BP :p

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like Ponderosa, I'm 39 also . . . er . . . going on 61 .

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far, looks like the highest percentage of respondents are in their 50's... I'm 52.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid 30's here. Guess I'm in the minority.

I feel like hiking isnt as popular with the younger crowds these days, or at least devoting enough it it that youd be a regular on hiking specific forums.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 11
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Nov. 15 2013, 6:36 am)

I feel like hiking isnt as popular with the younger crowds these days, or at least devoting enough it it that youd be a regular on hiking specific forums.

I'd hedge more that forums are not as popular with younger people. When I found BP in my late 20's, forums were all there was to use. Facebook changed a lot of that. Overall forums are a dying breed - some are still good, but many are shadows of what they were 8 or so years ago.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay 49 answers to the poll. If we assume the average age of members in their 30s is 35, members in their 40s is 45, and so on, then the average age of all those answering the poll is 52.8 years. Correct?

Yes, I'm ignoring the one answer in the 90s, because I'm betting that is Marmotstew. Heh, heh.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 13
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Nov. 15 2013, 10:01 am)

I'd hedge more that forums are not as popular with younger people. When I found BP in my late 20's, forums were all there was to use. Facebook changed a lot of that. Overall forums are a dying breed - some are still good, but many are shadows of what they were 8 or so years ago.

Hiking seems to be just as popular with people 18-25. I work with college students, and we always end up taking about hiking, backpacking, camping, travelling, etc. It's just as sabar said: All the young kids in their 20s are sending each other Snapchat and Instagram videos of their hiking photos.

I'm 34 now and starting visiting/posting here in my late-20s. I prefer checking out these types of forums, because there are actually some interesting discussions, ideas, and debates that don't occur when you're just posting pictures or 6 seconds of video. I don't mind is less people are posting on forums, as long as the quality of the discussion is higher than it is in other places.
 Post Number: 14
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup, forums are toys for oldsters reliving their days of greatness and wonder.

They don't move very fast and are better with an actual computer, rather than a phone.
 Post Number: 15
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

42. One thing that has surprised me is that I see as many older people, though mostly dayhiking, on the trails as I do younger ones.
I talked to a group of women who were probably 60s-70s at Table Rock SP, SC in April that I had met, along with their husbands, at DuPont State Forest, NC last November. They were full of smiles and laughter, and gave me a more positive perspective of this "getting old" stuff, and retirement.
 Post Number: 16
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 44. I started reading here in early 30s and started posting here in late 30s.

I'm a bit surprised that we have zero respondents in their 20s.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started here in my early 20's, still posting at 34 now, which I guess still puts me as a youngin' around here.

As others noted, I think mobile-friendly social media apps dominate with the younger crowd now, perhaps at the expense of deeper conversation as vinovampire pointed out.  Website forums are kinda seen as an older, boring relic of internet communications.  If they made a "forum app" for this website you'd probably see more younger involvement, although perhaps at the expense of posting quality (most folks aren't all that interested in writing longer well-thought posts in 5 seconds on a smartphone app).  I've been on other forums that implemented Apps and quickly saw an influx of one-liner comments that often had little to do with the actual topic, just a quick-thought after a quick-partial-read.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As old as my tongue, and slightly older than my teeth.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Nov. 15 2013, 12:16 pm)

They don't move very fast and are better with an actual computer, rather than a phone.

In part because this old fart can't see the danged phone. . . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 15 2013, 2:53 pm)

(toejam @ Nov. 15 2013, 12:16 pm)

In part because this old fart can't see the danged phone. . . .

Not to mention the difficulty of tapping on a teeny tiny phone screen with arthritic fingers!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sarbar @ Nov. 15 2013, 10:01 am)

Yeah thats what I was getting at, though I rarely have ever seen a high percentage of hikers in their teens-20's unless they are part of an organization (scouts, etc). But the FB and other social media stuff makes sense. Personally I hate them, but still love forums. Not sure why, I guess forums are more open, and you can better choose what topics, or threads, to read. Social media just gets full of BS. I havent signed into my FB in like 2 years. Frankly I don't even want to support those organizations by having an account. Though I tend to share lots of personal information on forums, the social media places seem to me like they know far to much about you and too easy for the government or whomever to acquire your data.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 22
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 15 2013, 12:17 am)

(ponderosa @ Nov. 14 2013, 9:08 pm)

I'm in the opposite place--I've only been 50 for a few month, and now I'm in my 50s!

I really wish the poll had been for "age at first posting."  :p
 Post Number: 23
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am one of the older ones here (67) and like others have sadly seen the forum activity decrease over the last few years.  The forum has introduced me to lot of great folks both young and old.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 24
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in my 50's for another 13.5 months....

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 25
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pfftt, age, its just a number......
 Post Number: 26
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GlenG @ Nov. 15 2013, 7:39 pm)

Hah.... I'm 65 and have shirts older than you.  :p

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 27
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GlenG @ Nov. 15 2013, 4:39 pm)

Age is a formidable opponent worthy of your respect, sonny boy. :)
 Post Number: 28
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know how this survey is lining up with the population in general, U.S. or otherwise?
 Post Number: 29
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2013, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I was talking with a customer today about BWCA, and he was kinda surprised by the number of young (twenty something) who do not go there. He said over the past few years, the average age of hikers has gone up to the early 50s. His perception is that no one over 20 or 30 ever goes there. I find that hard to believe. But maybe he's right. Just seems off to me.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 30
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ Nov. 15 2013, 11:38 pm)
His perception is that no one over 20 or 30 ever goes there. I find that hard to believe. But maybe he's right.

They're too busy playing with their various electronic devices.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
51 replies since Nov. 14 2013, 11:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Forum Members Age Survey
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions