2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Who rides motorcycles? :: Total Votes:21
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Not me. I am too chicken. 1  [4.76%]
Not chicken, they are just way too dangerous. 9  [42.86%]
I ride in the dirt only 1  [4.76%]
I ride in the street only 7  [33.33%]
I ride both. 3  [14.29%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who rides motorcycles?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 2:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I now own four motorcycles.

I am the original owner of:

1, 1971 BMW R75/5
2. 1984 Yamaha Venture
3. 2002 Suzuki DR200SE
4. 2013 Triumph Trophy SE

I've been riding since the mid 1960's.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do scooters count?

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 2:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are seriously considering getting street bikes. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was six years old.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 2:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 22 2013, 11:35 pm)
Do scooters count?

Sure. I don't have any minimum requirements.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Nov. 22 2013, 11:50 pm)

(Ben2World @ Nov. 22 2013, 11:35 pm)
Do scooters count?

Sure. I don't have any minimum requirements.

-Don-  SSF, CA

OK then.  I rented a scooter once, on one of my trips.  That was my first ever experience with a motor bike.  Got a girl in the back with her arms around my waist the very next day.  Never knew a scooter could be such a babe magnet!  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 3:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Nov. 22 2013, 11:45 pm)
My wife and I are seriously considering getting street bikes. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was six years old.

If you like extremely high tech touring cycles, check out the Triumph Trophy SE that I bought just last month.

Has traction control, ABS, BlueTooth, TPMS, USB ports and power ports all over the bike (including in the optional travel  trunk to keep your toys charged) satellite and weather radio (as well as AM/FM of course). Heated seat and hand grips. Even the mirrors defrost with the engine heat. Can adjust electric windscreen  while riding. Countless other features.

And reports of near 60 MPG are common as well as more than a 350 mile range on a single tank.

Here is a photo of mine, taken in my Reno home driveway, the day I purchased it a coupe of weeks ago (has every option known for this bike that's made by Triumph). The GPS works with the weather radio via blue tooth or the bike's speakers (but is optional stuff). The GPS will let you know when there is bad weather ahead. The bluetooth can work with a cell phone too. I cannot think of anything they left out on this bike:

My new Triumph Trophy SE at my Reno home.

BTW, I am retiring at the end of this year, so I am getting ready with my new  toys.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 5:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Nov. 23 2013, 12:00 am)
OK then.  I rented a scooter once, on one of my trips.

By any chance, was that here?

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 8
2itchyfeet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is no category for me, used to ride.  I rode for 35 yrs and in that time I owned 2 650 Harleys, a Honda 350, 2 Honda 750s, a Yamaha  750, and a Kawasaki 900.  Then I came into contact with a cemetary monument, (long story.)  I came out of that with one arm and now I ride bicycles.
 Post Number: 9
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the 70s I rode a 68 Honda 450 type 1. Black bomber, the largest bike Honda made at the time.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dual sport 650.
It's not a real motorcycle unless it can be used both on the street and on trails....  :cool:

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have ridden all my life, over 45 years on bikes.  Current bike HD FX with a few mods.

photo DSCN0103.jpg
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never driven, but have ridden with my Dad, Uncle, and Grandpa many times

This was my Grandpa's last ride with my Dad :(

I also have an awesome photo of my Grandpa on an old Indian with my Dad as a boy in front of him - I have to get it scanned!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who rides motorcycles?

Not right now. I find it a bit inconvenient in deep snow, icy roads, or near-blizzard conditions — probably not your typical weather in San Francisco.

However, I used to ride. Worked for a few years as parts manager in a motorcycle dealership. Also assembled new bikes from the factory and test drove them after assembly. All that in addition to owning a variety of them over the years.

My dad and brother used to race them. My dad was overall grand champion endurance racer of the Rocky Mountains one year in the late 1960s.

Living as close as I do to the Sturgis Rally, it's not like I've ever been very far away from them.

(And no, I didn't answer your poor excuse for a poll. :D)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have nothing personally against motorcycles when they are ridden responsibility, but they're not for me.  I tend to listen to a surgeon friend of mine who refers to them as "organ donor facilitators."  But each to his own.  There is after all, no shortage of those in need of donated organs.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
Peter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I rode motorcycles when I was a kid (Hondas and a Triumph Bonneville 650), and I took a lot of silly chances. However, I also had great reflexes, and managed to dodge most of the potential accidents.

A few years ago, I tried going out for a ride on a friend's bike, and realized I just didn't have the reflexes any more to do it safely. I guess I can understand why older guys tend to go for 'two-wheeled cars' instead of ones requiring a higher level of ability. The young kids get killed on their crotch rockets because they take stupid risks, and the old riders get killed because they just don't have the reflexes any more.  

Just my personal observations.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Peter @ Nov. 23 2013, 12:15 pm)
I rode motorcycles when I was a kid (Hondas and a Triumph Bonneville 650), and I took a lot of silly chances. However, I also had great reflexes, and managed to dodge most of the potential accidents.

A few years ago, I tried going out for a ride on a friend's bike, and realized I just didn't have the reflexes any more to do it safely. I guess I can understand why older guys tend to go for 'two-wheeled cars' instead of ones requiring a higher level of ability. The young kids get killed on their crotch rockets because they take stupid risks, and the old riders get killed because they just don't have the reflexes any more.  

Just my personal observations.

I think there's some truth in that.  Some.  But it's also true, I think, that most of us "older riders" just don't have that much interest any more in "going fast" (if we ever did).  Although I've had my Super Glide up around 110 mph, I rarely go anywhere near that fast.  Most of the time, I'm putting around at 35-55.  I experience more going slow.

Most of the older riders I know seem to feel the same way.  I don't know if my reflexes are slower.  I don't really think so.  In fact, I think I am more aware and more tuned in to what's going on around me, because I want to live to see my children graduate college.  :)
 Post Number: 17
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why is there no choice for, "I don't ride them because I don't have the slightest interest in doing so"?
 Post Number: 18
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used to, regularly for about a dozen year (commuting mostly) not recently.
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread need a soundtrack

Post Number: 20
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(2itchyfeet @ Nov. 23 2013, 5:52 am)
There is no category for me, used to ride.  I rode for 35 yrs and in that time I owned 2 650 Harleys, a Honda 350, 2 Honda 750s, a Yamaha  750, and a Kawasaki 900.  Then I came into contact with a cemetary monument, (long story.)  I came out of that with one arm and now I ride bicycles.

I think I saw a statistic once that showed bicycles are more dangerous than are motorcycles.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Old Frank Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Nov. 23 2013, 6:48 pm)

(2itchyfeet @ Nov. 23 2013, 5:52 am)

I think I saw a statistic once that showed bicycles are more dangerous than are motorcycles.

-Don-  SSF, CA

Would not be surprised if bikes are more dangerous than motorcycles.

Never had a motorcycle, but have been riding bicycles for about 6 years, and I admit to going faster than my skill or age should dictate.

Several crashes.  At age 70+, the pavement is really hard.

2 trips to emergency room.  1 dislocated (or broken, can't remember) collarbone. 1 severely sprained wrist (maybe broken, took a year to heal).  5 broken vertebrae (body brace for 3 months, a real bad experience).  3 cracked helmets (probably saved my life). Knocked into semi-consciousness briefly a couple of times.

(After reviewing what I have just written, I realize I am a lousy cyclist and/or partly insane).

--------------
My favorite compliment: "GrandPa, I've seen other old men, and their faces are a whole lot cruddier than yours is".
 Post Number: 22
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Nov. 23 2013, 10:53 am)
Why is there no choice for, "I don't ride them because I don't have the slightest interest in doing so"?
Yeah, I did that poll on the fly. At first, I was just going to ask the question but then I decided to make a poll out of it. It took me a whole 2 seconds of thought at the most.

But try it, you might like it. Like these guys did.

BTW, it seems that I cannot vote in my own poll. But I ride both, dirt and freeway and everything in between. However, my dirt riding is mainly just on unpaved roads in the middle of nowhere. I ain't the type to climb up a hill just to do it over and over again.   I must have a real destination in mind.

NW Reno is a great area to start from for riding anything. But almost all of it is in the eastern Sierras of CA.

Here in the SF area it's a lousy riding area. That's why I have three cycles at my Reno home but just one here in SSF, the old BMW R75/5 that I purchased new back then.

I mean here in the SSF area there are some decent fairly close (50 miles or so) places to ride to if you can get there alive on a cycle.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 23
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 23 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This poll is incomplete!

For a variety of reasons I had to give up my scooters and will nevr ride again. I would if I could but that is life.
Scooters owned  160cc Honda, 250cc Honda, 305cc Honda, '49 Hog, '60 HD Police Special, and a custom chopper built around the '60 Panhead engine with parts from various HDs and hand made custom parts.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 24
beemerphill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have ridden a lot, but gave it up a couple of years back. My hip was acting up, and as a person "matures" (polite way of saying getting old), the reactions slow, and your brain remembers too well just haw painful previous injuries were. It also takes longer for your body to heal. It was time to use 4 wheels instead of 2. I started out on home made motor bikes(in 62 or 63), then went on to Cushman scooters, Hondas, Suzukis, and ended up with BMW. Ran beemers from 77 till 11. That's were my name came from. The best bike I ever had would either be a BMW R90/6 or a Suzuki GS1100EZ. After I sold the last one in 11, I gave almost all the riding gear away. There is one good riding jacket, and my favorite helmet in the bike closet, just in case.
:)  :)  :)
 Post Number: 25
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 23 2013, 5:34 pm)

Original by Richard Thompson.  Best version (IMO), is the live one by Greg Brown, but it's hard to beat the original.

Post Number: 26
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have rode for 40+ years now with no intention of giving up.
 Post Number: 27
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Nov. 24 2013, 7:56 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Nov. 23 2013, 5:34 pm)

Original by Richard Thompson.  Best version (IMO), is the live one by Greg Brown, but it's hard to beat the original.

Yes, but I didn't see any youtube videos by RT that included motorcycle pics.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually prefer Del & the Boys, but they're all good.  The images on that Del vid are awesome.
 Post Number: 29
ChristyEe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1100 shadow for me.   Meet Cargo, my lil pup who rides everywhere with me.  :)

CargoRides

--------------
"Work sucks! I'm going to the mountains."
 Post Number: 30
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love bikes, my first "bike" was a moped, I was 14 living overseas. I started racing bikes in the states when I was 16. I've owned Bultacos, Hondas, 3 or 4 Ducatis, and a Kawaski 500. I currently have a Ducati 450 Desmo I'm toying with restoring.

Funny, much of the the talk around the Thanksgiving table last night was my wife telling storys about her riding my Kawasaki 500. They were surprised that mild mannered and conservative Maggie not only rode the original pocket rocket but tried to race Hells Angels with it, LOL. OK, I was the one goading her on and she had the good sense to ignore me but it was funny to watch and funnier to hear her talk about it  :D

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
29 replies since Nov. 23 2013, 2:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who rides motorcycles?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions