2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: How long at your current job? :: Total Votes:56
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Less than 1 year 1  [1.79%]
1 - 3 years 5  [8.93%]
3 - 5 years 4  [7.14%]
5 - 10 years 10  [17.86%]
10 - 15 years 9  [16.07%]
15 - 20 years 7  [12.50%]
20+ Years 20  [35.71%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How long at your current job?, (Current Employer, not Profession)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 1:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was interviewing at a Seattle start-up company earlier this week and got into this discussion with the hiring manager.  It seems to me that it's no longer considered valuable to have been with the same company for a long time.  At my current job, there are people my age (38) who started there right out of college and have never worked anywhere else.  I see this as a liability as they have a very narrow viewpoint of how the corporate world works.  I have worked for 5 companies in 15  years since college graduation.

I'm nearing 8 years at this company, I think that's almost too long - time to get out and get some new experience before I become irrelevant in the job market.

What do you all think?  (given results of the age range survey, I suspect many will disagree with me)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 36, I've been with the same police department since I was 22.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"(given results of the age range survey, I suspect many will disagree with me)"

Interesting.

Why would that be?
….

Basic research is a funny world: three years into my longest "employment" right now, the support being for 5. Though at the same university for 23 with the previous research institute for 13 but no employment longer than 3 years per grant….

OTOH I wouldn't hire someone whose resume showed they'd have their eye on the exit from the moment they walked in. Time and money being too expensive in a world where the clock is always winding down to reset to waste on a distracted resume line filler.
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, if you are feeling all comfy with your job -- it may be time to push yourself to newer (and hopefully higher) challenges.  At 38, it's still relatively easy to jump ship provided you have good record, skillsets and references.

Thinking about it, if you continue to stay with your company at your age and after 8 years -- it may become harder to jump ship later on -- esp. when past 50.  At that time, both your age and your longevity with your current company "may" work against you.

Obviously, we are only talking generalizations here.  As well, if you are with a great company with a great future and you are happy, nothing says you must jump ship.  It all depends...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 27 2013, 2:00 pm)
"(given results of the age range survey, I suspect many will disagree with me)"

Interesting.

Why would that be?
….

It seems that older generations have more loyalty to their companies, and vice versa.  A lot of you may have pension plans, which is unheard of in my generation - we pack up our 401K and take it with us.  If I look at my mom and her siblings (ages 50-65), most of them had 1 employer their entire career.

I'll admit, my viewpoint is also biased towards business and not so much trades, civil service, etc.  I work in Marketing - I think it's good to have "fresh blood" now and then to shake things up a bit. I see a lot of people who are "retired in place" and just show up for their paycheck, which is frustrating to the rest of us.  I have some people who work for me and have been doing the exact same thing for 15 years - it boggles my mind!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People in a position for a long time may be very skilled at performing that job. A plus from an employer standpoint, experience leads to efficiency and productivity (whether that potential is realized is a management issue of course). They might not be as skilled at applying for a new one but that isn't the object of their current exercise…

Even in business how interchangeable are the people? New employees, I would think, would impose a transition cost that only gets paid back over time: that's the case in lab research anyway, new people always are less productive and require training and supervision , and all the while the clock is ticking down on my grants….
 Post Number: 7
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seven years with my current agency; sixteen years total with the feds.  Eight years with a county.

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 8
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

14 years, and plan to stay here, just cruising until I retire, which is a ways away.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eight years ago, I started my own business (PC Friendly). I started a second business (Exclusive Holiday Lighting) seven years ago. I added a third (Hill Consulting) five years ago. I have no plans to change companies anytime soon...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

15 months at my current job. 12 years with my previous employer.

It seems to me that it's no longer considered valuable to have been with the same company for a long time.

When looking to hire someone, we definitely look at how long they were at their previous employers. Someone who tends to max-out at 3 years... not worth our investment in them.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty darn close to WWBF's numbers.  And as someone with a math degree I've always like his avatar.   :;):
 Post Number: 12
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seem to average around 5 years for my jobs, sometimes more. I just surpassed the 6 year mark with my current employer.

I'm having a hard time thinking about giving up the 5 weeks of vacation that I get every year even thought I think it might be time to move on. I'm in a constant battle with myself.
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been retired for 6 years after working 25 years for the same place. Ppl don't do that as much these days.
 Post Number: 14
Ketoka Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Retired in may, hopefully with this gig for another 40 years LOL
 Post Number: 15
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 45 years old and I've only had 2 jobs as an adult.  I graduated high school on a Friday and went to work at a local hardware store the following Monday.  After doing that for 5 years, I decided one morning that this is not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life so I applied with the State of NC to be a Correctional Officer.  Got hired at age 23 and have been with them ever since.

I used to work for the NC Dept. of Corrections, now I work for the Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Corrections and Juvenile Justice.  The state combined departments in an effort to save money.  Same $hit, different title.

Edit:  If all goes well, I can possibly retire at age 52 (7 years) due to the massive amount of sick leave I have accumulated.

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my own career, I worked for 37 employers over a 30 yr time frame.  Not unheard of in the construction business.

April moved with me as I traveled around the US, and she asked that we stay in an area at least 5 years so that her employers got a chance to reclaim some of the training expenses.  That worked out just fine for us.

As you age, you may find yourself settling into an employer at around 50 and staying until retirement.  That would not be unwise since employers have a built in aversion to the over 50 crowd.  Just my opinion, and worth nearly nothing.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own the company, so I guess that's a good thing I've been here for over 25 years most likely.

The benefit of staying with one company is that you can ask for things from your boss that you wouldn't dare ask for if you have only been with the company for a couple of years. Over half of my employees have been with me for over 20 years. It doesn't come up too often, but I'll do everything I can for any odd request they ask about. I'm your kind of boss if you want to take a two month holiday to backpack Nepal!  :cool:

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 18
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 27 2013, 2:44 pm)
When looking to hire someone, we definitely look at how long they were at their previous employers. Someone who tends to max-out at 3 years... not worth our investment in them.

+1

I just hired two new employees this year and this is one of the first things I checked for - long term stability potential.

It's a major PITA to train new employees for my business - it takes more than just a few years to have an employee learn all the 'in's & out's' to the point where they know the business as much as I do. I make sure that once they start with my company, they need a huge reason to ever think about moving on. The only employee I've lost in the past 15 years was due to retirement.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 19
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a vast spectrum of jobs and careers.  In some longevity is expected, especially in government career employment while in others not so as in construction.  Will be passing the 5 year mark in a few weeks at my current hi tech job.  Never been fired and was layed off just once as a result of the dot com implosion.

I've now worked for 5 companies at least 5 years and the least was a bit more than 2 years.  Working at least several years at companies is a very positive element of one's resume because it indicates to prospective employers that:

(1) A person is more likely to stick with a company and not jump ship.

(2) A person knows how to get along with management.

(3) A person likely gets along well with co-workers.  Something that does not easily translate to whatever one might put on a resume.   There are fair numbers of quite skilled and talented people that can perform jobs well but have a history of not always getting along well with all their co-workers.  That is more an issue with more professional career areas where people need to work in team environments where individuals regardless of technical grade may not always get their way.  Working at large corporations is often a minefield where a person needs to tread wisely.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 20
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm retired now.  But I spent 40 (39 1/2 actually but they gave me credit for 40) years with the same employer in the same building. Several different positions in that time, but essentially the same kind of work. I understand Ben's argument about challenging yourself by moving on and it certainly has merit.  But, I really liked my job, the people I worked with and the fact that it was a 10 minute walk to work. And there is something to be said for being at the top of the seniority list. Too many good things to give up.  While I have no regrets staying there so long sometimes I wonder what I missed. I did have opportunities to move.  Could have great or could have been a disaster.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 21
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my world (hi tech/software dev), there are no easy answers to this.  It depends.

Someone staying a long time with the same employer could be a devoted, valued star contributor building something to last......or they could be a clock-punching political sellout, doing the minimum needed to keep their paycheck for as long as possible.  

Someone moving between jobs quickly could be a malcontent pissant......or they could be an ambitious, principled, entrepreneurial person looking for new challenges to rise to.  

As owner of a dev firm now, I'd rather have an ambitious mover for 1 year than a clock-puncher for 10 (if I can't find the long-term star)

And to answer the main question...I started my business about 2 years ago.  My longest stints as an employee were 6 years and 5 years, respectively.  For me that was the sweet spot - long enough to build something significant, short enough to not get stale & burned out.
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

20+ years, but is seems much longer than that.

I used to really enjoy my job.  Not so much anymore.  Long story.
 Post Number: 23
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it really depends on the position. Some jobs require stability, some need energy and fresh ideas. Putting the right people in the right positions is the most important job a supervisor has.
 Post Number: 24
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

22 and counting....but I own the company.

Still, with 15 employees, I am keeping a few people working!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 25
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a unified county school district. So I've worked for the same company 24 years but in different schools and capacities, full time ten years and 14 years as a substitute but four years of that 14 were in long term, temporary full time jobs. It is both good and bad. After being a teacher, a parent, and a wife of another teacher - everyone knows me but when the need to hire people goes down you have to go a long ways to find another district.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 26
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been at my current job for 3.5 years, and I hope to stay with it until I retire. I've had many different jobs in my adult life, and my current job is one I like. At my age, there's no need to move on unless I have to.

My dad retired with 47 years with one company. He started out as a sign painter at age 17, and retired as an engineer  :)  His company sent him to school through the years and moved him right on up the ladder.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 27
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Little over 2 years at my current employer, 19 years at each of the previous 2.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 28
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 27 2013, 2:44 pm)
15 months at my current job. 12 years with my previous employer.

It seems to me that it's no longer considered valuable to have been with the same company for a long time.

As a hiring manager--this times 10,000.  

I also avoid recent college grads unless I really get a feeling of levelheadedness at an interview.  Most of them just don't have the ability to make simple decisions or do anything without being told exactly what to do.  I don't have time for all that.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 29
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have only a year and half in my current position, but it is TOTALLY different career path. At my age it is second life as I retired from the energy industry. I was replaced by a contractor and a consultant group.
Now I work in a non-profit where all my peers are in their 20's, with grad degrees, and they will hang for 2-4 years, then move into a power slot in a bigger non-profit or government. I organize in the one campaign where age and tone are a plus.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 30
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't count my summer jobs at Zion and the Grand Canyon, or with the Boys Scouts.  I started teaching in 1972, taught at Longton, Kansas for one year, came to my wife's home, taught at Bell Elementary across the mountain for 2 years, then came here to Cave Springs in 1975.  I'm still here, I've been a teacher, principal, and librarian, plus doing football stats, coaching elementary athletics and driving a school bus.  I've been here 38 1/2 years and want to stay another 3 1/2 until my youngest Oklahoma grandson graduates.  I have been here so long that it is entirely probable that I've been at Cave Springs longer than any other teacher in it's history.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
42 replies since Nov. 27 2013, 1:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How long at your current job?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions