2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help Me Find a Volcano, Please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 12:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning on a two-month trip next year to Central America:  Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.  One thing I have yet to see is an active volcano with red-hot lava flows.  For ye hikers who have been to CA, can you recommend a volcano or two -- preferably not too strenuous or too time consuming to reach (only got two months to spread among five countries)?  Thanks.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While Pacaya in Guatemala fits your location and there's another in that country that's reasonably active, Santa Maria, the most reliable and spectacular flows I know of are in the United States. 1983 and counting....

A Kilauea night helicopter tour when the lava curtains are erupting is amazing and an  RHIB tour when the lava flows are, as they often do, pouring into the ocean in a spectacle of fire and steam is not to be missed.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

If there's a geological monitoring program for Pacaya it may have activity updates. Or The Smithsonian's Global Volcanism Program might list their activity or others in that region....
http://www.volcano.si.edu

ETA: and they do, Fuego is active right how

"
Fuego  | Guatemala  | 14.473°N, 90.88°W  | Elevation 3763 m

On 21 November INSIVUMEH reported that a recent Strombolian phase at Fuego decreased in intensity. Explosions generated ash plumes that rose 450 m and drifted W and SW. Ashfall was reported in Sangre de Cristo (8 km WSW). During 21-22 November explosions produced ash plumes that rose 450 m and drifted 7 km WNW, as well as loud rumbling sounds heard within 15 km. Lava flows were 300 m long in the Ceniza drainage (SSW). During 25-26 November ash plume from explosions rose 550 m and drifted 10 km W and SW."

So probably "watch this space" closer to and while you're on your trip. Few events are predictable very far out.
http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports_weekly.cfm#vn_342090
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Island.  Watched many flows over land and spills into the sea over the years I lived on Oahu.  Short jump and car rental.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, gentlemen.  WOW - I must go to Big Island!!!

You know, I've been in Honolulu International probably a dozen times, but have never ventured out....  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For a treat search for "Kilauea fire curtains"

Life list experience.

ETA: yeah I think of Honolulu as the Yosemite Valley of the islands.
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 28 2013, 11:04 am)
Big Island.  Watched many flows over land and spills into the sea over the years I lived on Oahu.  Short jump and car rental.  

Though no guarantee.  When we were there in March 2012, the volcano didn't cooperate at all.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Nov. 28 2013, 9:49 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Nov. 28 2013, 11:04 am)

Though no guarantee.  When we were there in March 2012, the volcano didn't cooperate at all.

Same here, in January of 2012.  Just missed ya!

And the lava...I really wanted to see it going into the ocean.  

Sure had a fantastic tour flight though.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I found my Central American volcano:  Pacaya, Guatemala...

Nice.  But yes, thanks to your input, The Big Island, Hawaii is now on my list of future trips as well.  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 10
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When next year are you doing this trip?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid-Jan to mid-Mar.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 3:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm no help with CA, but will cast another vote for the big island - I was there back in June and it is pretty great! If I recall correctly, there is something like 11 of the 13 climate zones, so lots of variety in what to see or do (although not a lot of beaches if thats your thing).

Lava flowing over the cliffs into the ocean:

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 3:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walking over lava that was flowing 20 mins. earlier:

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 3:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh man, I NEED to go to Hawaii!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben- The lava flows in a National Park, so there must be something up that would tell you if the lava was flowing visibly.  I will search for a site, so you will not get there during a time when it is difficult to see.  The entire 5.5 years I lived on Oahu, it flowed constantly.  I was very lucky to get over there several times to see it.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 16
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lava hotline

--------------

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bookmarked.  Thanks, ol-zeke!

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 3:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben - if at all possible, I would highly reccomend going to see the lava flows (in Hawaii or CA) in the late afternoon/evening. There is nothing like seeing the glow of the lava while surrounded by darkness. I Hawaii I started the hike out (guided) about 4pm, got to the lava flows about 6:30pm, spent an hour or so there and thenn began the journey back, finishing about 10pm. It was really cool in the dark!
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's on my bucket list too Ben.  I know Stromboli erupts quite frequently.  I actually have an app on my phone that lists current active information.
18 replies since Nov. 28 2013, 12:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help Me Find a Volcano, Please
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions