2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What Hurts More?  Childbirth or Kick in the Balls?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:50 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kidney stones
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rhetorical question?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've met plenty of women who either had or wanted to have a second child...but not a single soul who wanted to be kicked in the balls a second time.  

Same goes for kidney stones (which put me in the E.R. this Thanksgiving, BTW...everyone drink water...you do NOT want to share my fate)
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 of those are restricted to only 1 gender.  Kidney stones are equal opportunity pain causes.  Talking to anyone who ever had a stone, no one wants a second one.  I had 2 in '05, and I was told the 2nd one was 4 x bigger than the first.  I didn't care for it one bit.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked with a gal who had 2 kids and had kidney stones; she said the kidney stones where "way worse"!
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Loon @ Dec. 14 2013, 6:24 pm)
I worked with a gal who had 2 kids and had kidney stones; she said the kidney stones were "way worse"!

Well... Ory and ol-zeke -- have you been kicked in the groin before?  Was that more painful than kidney stones?  If yes, then we can deduce that the former would also be worse than giving birth. But if not, then the question remains open.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I have been kicked in the groin, more specifically in the balls, and kidney stones were much more painful.  The kick took me down for about 5 minutes, while the stones took me down for an entire evening.  Maybe if we defined the kick as something that happened repeatedly over a 4-5 hour time frame. There were not enough pain killers in my cabinet, so ER administered Demerol for the stones.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very hard to make a comparison.  At the end of childbirth, we get a present.  We also get amnesia, so that we sorta forget over time what it was really like (for,the record, I got pregnant the second time before I had forgotten, and I did NOT want to repeat it).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 14 2013, 6:31 pm)
Well... Ory and ol-zeke -- have you been kicked in the groin before?  Was that more painful than kidney stones?  If yes, then we can deduce that the former would also be worse than giving birth. But if not, then the question remains open.   :;):

When I deduced what was probably going on I went straight to the hospital - horror stories like Ol Zeke's were forefront in my mind.  From first pang to writhing & vomiting in the ER was about 45 minutes.  

I have erected a small shrine dedicated to the doctor who gave me the first magic pain meds...a small bronze likeness of her, surrounded by prayer flags, tribute poems, and candles which I keep eternally lit.  I offered her marriage, but my girlfriend intervened.

...but I digress.  My worst nutsack trauma was several moments of the most excruciating pain imaginable, followed by an unpleasant but manageable dull ache.  But I'm guessing my experience was not as bad as it could be...

So just from my experience...assuming the kidney stone pain would've continued indefinitely without pain control, I would've much preferred a a swift kick in the ol' coin pouch.
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Childbirth because the pain and agony last for 18 years....  :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Dec. 14 2013, 7:40 pm)
Childbirth because the pain and agony last for 18 years....  :p

...and that's if you're lucky enough to have them leave the house at 18.  

Heck, just this morning at a breakfast restaurant we were next to a table full of ill-behaved screeching carpet vermin...only had to endure that for one hour, and I would've nearly preferred a crane-kick to the ol' yogurt-slingers
 Post Number: 13
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is Ben pregnant ?
 Post Number: 14
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My suspicion has always been that the real comparison issue should be menstrual cramps and a kick in the balls. Both involve your gonads, in agony that can be bad enough to make you pass out or puke, curl up like a fetus and scream, unable to stand, cold sweats.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 15
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OP poses a question which requires personal experience, so we won't have a satisfactory answer until the science of transgendering advances to the stage of full equipment and functionality.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 16
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Dec. 14 2013, 9:04 pm)
I've met plenty of women who either had or wanted to have a second child...but not a single soul who wanted to be kicked in the balls a second time.  

Same goes for kidney stones (which put me in the E.R. this Thanksgiving, BTW...everyone drink water...you do NOT want to share my fate)

You stand corrected:

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 17
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Dec. 15 2013, 8:14 am)
My suspicion has always been that the real comparison issue should be menstrual cramps and a kick in the balls. Both involve your gonads, in agony that can be bad enough to make you pass out or puke, curl up like a fetus and scream, unable to stand, cold sweats.

Yeah. Plus: both are inflicted by forces beyond our control. The difference is, you can look forwards to the cramps every 30 days.  Most people don't get kicked in the privates that often :p

(And lest any of you guys think Echo is exaggerating, I have done all those things during periods at various times, except screaming.  Well, that too, but it was motivated by foolish males, not pain).

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been kicked in the nuts before. To be honest, it really wasn't that bad. I would suspect that since they offer epidurals for childbirth, it probably hurts quite a bit more.

The most pain I've ever felt by a mile was a collapsed lung. Having a boil burst behind my eardrum was a relatively close second when I was a kid.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With one of my kids being adopted and one an emergency c section I never had the labor/delivery experience honestly. But my mom always said her cramps were worse until she was about 17, than her childbirth.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 20
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Believe it or not, I've never been officially kicked in the nuts.

But as a hockey goalie, I once took a slapshot to the nuts from a guy that would enter the NHL the following year. Done broke the cup. I was down for about 10 minutes, didn't walk right for a day, suffered a dull pain for 2-3 days, and didn't even think about women for about 2 weeks.

Still, I think I'd rather repeat that experience than "birth" an 7-pound turd, which is an experience about as close to childbirth as I can imagine.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 21
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ouch -- that slapshot made you LimpsWithBlackflies for a few days!

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 22
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many years ago, I was roughhousing with friends and took a kick in the groin.

I didn't think much of it until a dull ache gradually worsened over several hours. Turned out I had testicular torsion. I was up in northern Michigan working at a lake, and by the time we got to Traverse City medical center I was vomiting. The last thing I remember was a nurse with a needle. I woke up several hours later.

Surgery came that winter to prevent a reoccurrence. That was an experience I would not care to repeat.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 23
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well this has certainly picked up what was a slow afternoon. Follow up question: why is it so funny to see or hear about someone getting their nuts cracked? It seems to be a cross cultural comedy staple. I'm laughing, just reading these posts.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 24
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Jack's post wasn't so funny, but I didn't see it before I posted mine. Sorry man.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As Jimmy Buffett once said, in life, tragedies can often become comedies pretty fast with the right attitude.

I was 18 when this event occurred. I think what I remember most was "testing" my new configuration with my girlfriend about a week after surgery. And 25 years later, my son was born (to a different woman). So I guess it all worked out.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Dec. 16 2013, 1:44 pm)
I was 18 when this event occurred. I think what I remember most was "testing" my new configuration with my girlfriend about a week after surgery. And 25 years later, my son was born (to a different woman). So I guess it all worked out.

Wow, that was a long and complicated gestation!   :laugh:
 Post Number: 27
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had a baby but I have had a kidney stone that Demerol wouldn't touch. Took morphine to tame that bad boy. I've also had blunt force trauma to the testicles. Once from a bull calf that didn't want to be castrated and once from a Quarter horse that decided she didn't need her back hoofs checked.

I'll take a kick to the nuts anyday.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 16 2013, 2:54 pm)

(Hungry Jack @ Dec. 16 2013, 1:44 pm)

Wow, that was a long and complicated gestation!   :laugh:

I figured that was coming.

--------------
a wild occupation,
 Post Number: 29
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a preemie for my first kid who barely weighed 5 pounds. That wasn't so hard, I did it natural with no pain meds. I was "this is soooo easy!!".

Then 12 years later, I had kid two. Who was 9 pounds. Holy crap, that epidural was soooo good.

Then I had kid 3 2-years after. He was 10 1/2 pounds when I had him at 38 weeks. Had a toddler sized head. He fit in freaking 3 month clothing at birth. I was in "early" labor for 3 months with never ending contractions. Walk up the damn stairs and I had to lay down. I felt like that kid was going to fall out every day. Walking hurt so bad - I waddled for months.
Oh yeah, and he was sunny side up which was my second kid to be that way. Let me put it this way: an epidural DOESN'T block the pain when they are. I felt every bit of it when I went into labor.
And no, I am NOT having anymore kids after that one.
This was me a day or two before having my third kid:

Ya'all can poop out a 10.8 pound baby anytime...lol!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 30
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sar, I didn't know that about the epidural and sunny-side-up babies.  Glad I never got around to it with mine!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
31 replies since Dec. 14 2013, 10:50 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What Hurts More?  Childbirth or Kick in the Balls?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions