2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Should I leave or should I go, I recd. some advice from the moderator< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TonyHardy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should I leave or Should go?  I know I rub some the wrong way, but I think I could bring very valid points for discussion.  Good people let me know.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's always tease tease tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stay, but try to be a little more tactful and less inflammatory. Sometimes it takes a thick skin around here. Other people's points of view are worth considering.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood

I always try, your point is taken.
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If we asked everyone who didn't contribute to the good nature of this community, we would not have near as many fun discussions.  If you are nothing more than the sock puppet of one of our known posters, GTFU.  However, if you are another person altogether, then by all means stick around and see if this is a place you'd enjoy sharing some stories, maybe a beer, and some pool.

You started off badly, and I am not referring to your dislike of the shelters, but the terrible grammar and syntax.  Hang around, see how it goes.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 17 2013, 2:50 pm)
You started off badly, and I am not referring to your dislike of the shelters, but the terrible grammar and syntax.

Actually, our moderator Steve would never give anyone a warning over syntax and bad grammar.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ol-zeke

I hear you, but know that I am and will never be one that will sit and take insults thru witty superfluous diatribe.  We understand that, right?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben2World

Thank you, I have hard time typing.  It never seems to come out right.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not really sure why you need everyone else's feedback on the issue, as if it's a matter of global importance. :p

If you value the place, stick around.  If not, leave.  It's pretty simple.  If you're in need of attention, you can make dramatic threads announcing whether you're staying or leaving.  You'd hardly be the first.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only read a very little bit of your postings in the thread you started concerning the AT so temper my comments with that knowledge.

While many of us on the forums have very strong opinions on a wide range of subject matter, for the most part, we can have a civil even well thought out debate without directly attacking anyone for their opinions or attacking institutions or regions for their perceived shortcomings.  While this doesn't always hold true (see TPA just about any day) it is the rule rather than the exception in most of the other forum threads here.  

Most of the users of the forum (at least in my experience) will gladly debate the pros and cons of just about any subject that is brought forth in a thoughtful way.  Opening a thread by spouting a personal opinion about the worth or lack there of of anything without having any supporting documentation or data makes it just that, your opinion.  Don't expect everyone to agree with it.  Also, don't attack those who don't agree with your opinion.  They are entitled to their opinion based on their experiences just as you are.  They may have had truly wonderful experiences with the AT.  

Should you leave?  No one can answer that except you.  I think new, fresh perspectives keep the forums interesting.  I just think that they should be presented in calm, well thought out ways.  

Just my humble opinion.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GoBlueHiker

I am not asking for your approval, obviously I do what I want.  I am asking a question, base on a message I received.
 Post Number: 12
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 3:41 pm)
Should I leave or Should go?  I know I rub some the wrong way, but I think I could bring very valid points for discussion.  Good people let me know.

You seem to need a lot of hand-holding, and require a LOT of attention... just saying.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

retired reddog

Again it doesn't a novel to respond.  I am asking a question, base on a message I received.
 Post Number: 14
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 2:56 pm)
I am and will never be one that will sit and take insults ...

Tony, you came out of nowhere with your opinion that trail shelters were basically hideouts for drunks and drug addicts, and that AT hikers were pretenders just barely qualified to be called "backpackers". You poked a hornets nest and then got all irritated. When you turned to calling others "idiots". It was time for a little break; I blocked you.

But having asked you back in, and asked that you be polite to others, you resumed. I waited.

Now you're wondering why Zeke introduced a subject that has nothing to do with backpacking? Well, I hope you'll see my PM to you and realize that the TR area is not always about backpacking! It's about friends chatting, with some silly subjects and some serious, but all correctly located in the TR. Want to talk about trail shelters in the Gear section? I'll move it to the TR, that wouldn't be the right place.

Hope this helps you see what's going on.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Steve, I think you are overdue for your annual Xmas gift of a large bottle of your choice. . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BradMT

No hand holding, and needing of attention.  

I WAS PAID TO BE HERE TO ENHANCE HEATED DEBATES ABOUT THE OUTDOORS BY CORPORATE.  IF CONTINUED POST ABOUT CRYING BECAUSE SOMEONE DIDN'T KEEP MY SECRET (Ol-ZEKE) PERSIST THIS SITE WILL BE SHUT DOWN.  I HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND THE END.
 Post Number: 17
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 6:06 pm)
retired reddog

Again it doesn't a novel to respond.  I am asking a question, base on a message I received.

Then here's the short answer, stay.

If we don't like what you're saying, we'll simply ignore you.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome back Oskar...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 4:12 pm)
BradMT

I WAS PAID TO BE HERE TO ENHANCE HEATED DEBATES ABOUT THE OUTDOORS BY CORPORATE.  IF CONTINUED POST ABOUT CRYING BECAUSE SOMEONE DIDN'T KEEP MY SECRET (Ol-ZEKE) PERSIST THIS SITE WILL BE SHUT DOWN.  I HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND THE END.

Hope is available to you. This is not the place to find it, this is just an internet forum.

Bless you.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 20
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 17 2013, 3:14 pm)
Welcome back Oskar...

Tigger, hold you hand up over your head. Move it from front to back while saying "Whoosh!"

Now I have to get back to seamsealing my ALPS tent.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LMFAO

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 22
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 17 2013, 6:14 pm)
Welcome back Oskar...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Good times.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 23
MDHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I vote - STAY
 Post Number: 24
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

(bp2go @ Dec. 17 2013, 3:20 pm)
Now I have to get back to seamsealing my ALPS tent.

Oskar67!!!!   :laugh:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 25
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 6:12 pm)
BradMT

Doomsayer! Doomsayer!

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 6:12 pm)
BradMT

This is an interesting claim.  It can't possibly be true that Backpacker will decide the fate of this site based on the result of your participation.  They probably have more sensible metrics of its value.  Are you threatening to shut the site down yourself?  That sounds like extortion.
 Post Number: 27
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 4:06 pm)
retired reddog

He gave you a more genuine and thoughtful response than anyone else here.  You just didn't like it because it didn't shower you with compliments, and you're a bit thin-skinned about that.

Truth is, you made a whole thread of insults and vitriol, and then cried loudly about how everyone was insulting you.  The horrible grammar and spelling just made it funnier.  (Saying "your stupid" on multiple occasions was just low-hanging fruit, seriously).

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 28
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Dec. 17 2013, 3:12 pm)
BradMT

:laugh:

That would be like paying snakes to slither, or bees to buzz.  There is never a shortage of heated debates around here.
 Post Number: 29
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TonyHardy wrote in the Appalacian thread:
"Don't insult me again.  I will follow every thread you are on"
Being insulting is one thing, but to threaten following others around on the forums is not behavior I think we should tolerate.  Be nice and have a good time.  Threaten people and you will get tossed.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 30
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Compared to some of the slow downs and software foul ups, a shut down might be welcomed.

As for crying, non back packing related threads, maybe you should read back several years worth of threads, and see where we mourned for lost kindred souls.  

ALL CAPS DON'T MAKE YOUR MESSAGE ANY BRIGHTER.  

Numbskulls, I tell you.  Some of these folks just don't know when to fold.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
76 replies since Dec. 17 2013, 5:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Should I leave or should I go
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions