2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: walk vs hike vs trek, Your opinion?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had an interesting discussion  yesterday with a friend over the terms walking, hiking and trekking.  The discussion centered on the difference between them.  In other words, when does a simple walk or stroll become a hike and when does a hike turn into trek?  Is it determined by distance, days out, amount of equipment used or what?  Or perhaps it's just semantics and really doesn't matter?  Anyway, food for thought.

BTW, Merry Christmas to you all.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
PartyTimeAL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Incomplete troll.

--------------
Keg Stands Anyone?
 Post Number: 3
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me it's just semantics. Sometimes I walk/hike/stroll/trek for an hour or two. Sometimes for a day or two.
 Post Number: 4
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To me there are just two categories---Dayhiking and Backpacking.  "Mere" dayhiking to me is pure torture---like you're going to an AYCE restaurant but can't eat cuz you're fasting.  Why go into the woods and then have to leave the same day??  Please, spend at least one night out.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it's in the city or urban environment, I call it a walk.

If it's in the wilderness, I call it a hike.

If it becomes epic at some point, I call it a trek.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walk to the grocery store to pick up snacks for my hike in the local park getting some exercise in for my next multi-week Sierra trek. (not that I'd actually use "trek" but there it is.) I think of trek as a hut to hut in Europe or a long walk in the Himalayas or some such.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Dec. 24 2013, 2:12 pm)
To me there are just two categories---Dayhiking and Backpacking.  "Mere" dayhiking to me is pure torture---like you're going to an AYCE restaurant but can't eat cuz you're fasting.  Why go into the woods and then have to leave the same day??  Please, spend at least one night out.

Boy, I've got to disagree with you on that, but it's purely a personal opinion.  Some my best hikes have been long day hikes.  I find it really rewarding to cover a long distance - 20+ miles - and not be burdened with a pack and other equipment.  Dont' get me wrong, I love to camp as well, but day hiking has always been a very pleasant undertaking for me.  And sometime juut a short hike can be extremely worthwhile  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 11:20 am)

Boy, I've got to disagree with you on that, but it's purely a personal opinion.  Some my best hikes have been long day hikes.  I find it really rewarding to cover a long distance - 20+ miles - and not be burdened with a pack and other equipment.  Dont' get me wrong, I love to camp as well, but day hiking has always been a very pleasant undertaking for me.  And sometime juut a short hike can be extremely worthwhile  JMO.

"Mere"?

I have to agree with hikerjer on that. Also we're not alone in valuing time out day hiking: on a weeklong alpine botany class Carl Sharsmith endlessly mocked (out of their hearing thank goodness) multi-day backpackers as "pack mules" needlessly suffering their burdens while we day hiked relatively unburdened over most all the same landscape.

Granted his seriousness was somewhat dimmed as he'd just come back from a weeklong route that went over Hell-For-Sure Pass....

Now, true, for real backpackers the Mid-Atlantic Ridge MUST be done as an overnighter, even if at under 12 parsecs it would seem unnecessary. Savor the awesomeness.....
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roughly speaking:
    A walk is a walk.
    A hike is a long walk.
    A trek is a long and difficult hike.
But if you hike with a backpack for 23 hours and 59 minutes, is that dayhiking or backpacking? If you are gone from the trailhead for 23:59 and do all your hiking at night, is that still "day"-hiking? And if you hike in at night, basecamp for the day, take long walks without a backpack from your basecamp, then hike out the following night, have you done any backpacking at all? Or is it just dayhiking at night? Or if you hike for 24 hours and 1 minute without a backpack and "live off the bounty of the land" (snicker) then is that still backpacking? Just because you spent the night out?

And if you thru-hike, is that backpacking? Or if you hike outside the wilderness for two weeks, is that still "wilderness backpacking"?

Who cares? After a while it becomes mostly nit-picking of self-promoting definitions.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bit grumpy today, Travis?

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 11:34 am)

Consistency is considered a virtue by some....
 Post Number: 12
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 12:34 pm)

Heck no. I thought I was on a roll.  :D I was snickering through it all.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 13
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walk around town, I hike on trails (or sometimes off trails).    Trek is the brand of my bike.  It is not a word that I used for foot travel.   I think that one is used more in Europe...not sure though.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 14
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A trek can only be done in Europe, similar to how a walkabout can only be done in Australia.

A walk is done on paved surfaces.

A hike is done on a trail. Unless it's in Europe. Then it's a trek.

Very simple, actually.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 24 2013, 2:36 pm)

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 12:34 pm)

Heck no. I thought I was on a roll.  :D I was snickering through it all.

Well then, Merry Christmas and have a great new year. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am another who thinks most walks occur on pavement.  Some other walks may be over short distances on well used public trails.  There is seldom any solitude on a walk.

Hikes are day hikes to me, unless specified as a backpack.  I like dayhikes, where I can load up a small lunch and head off into the wild for as long as I can before heading back to the car for the drive home and my own bed.

Treks are not of this nation, or it's vocabulary.  Backpacking to me means heading out for a week of hauling my loaded pack around, no base camping, no simple overnighters or weekenders.  I guess it is just the level of torture that differentiates it all for me.  I like being punished on the trail.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Déjŕ vue all over again. Don't we have this argument every year?  I generally agree that a hike is in the woods and a walk in the city, but I have also been known to go for a walk in the woods, especially when they are woods in the back yard.

You can trek in Europe or in the Himalaya.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 18
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, I've used the term "trek" to describe a number of my long-distance trips.  Not because of any measure of distance or difficulty (and certainly not because I'm in Europe), but rather that I'm taking a packraft and the trip is amphibious.  Can I really call it a "hike" or "backpack" when I'll spend several days along the way paddling a boat while walking the rest?  I never really knew what to call it exactly, and "trek" was nondescript enough to fit best.

To each their own. Hardly seems to matter, really.

The self-absorbed rants some always post here putting down dayhiking just make me laugh.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 24 2013, 3:32 pm)

You can't trek in North America?

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Dec. 24 2013, 11:32 am)
A walk is a walk.
A hike is a long walk.
A trek is a long and difficult hike.

I think the same.

But just like with brook vs. stream vs. river...  while there is a general "feel" for each, there is no objective delineation, so plenty of overlaps.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 3:41 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 24 2013, 3:32 pm)

You can't trek in North America?

You can trek if you are a Boy Scout:

http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Camping/TrekPlanning.aspx
 Post Number: 22
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walk, hike, trek...

Walk is what I do around town, or wherever day to day.

Hike is what I do on a trail. Can be day or multi-day. This is the generally accepted American definition.

Trek is European for multi-day backpacking/hut hopping and I never use the term because I'm not European and have no desire to be such.

However, "walk" is my favorite term for all of it... think "The Complete Walker."

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 23
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can "walk" to the bathroom.  A "Hike" involves a trail.  A trek in my mind is a multi-day trip.
 Post Number: 24
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 24 2013, 2:28 pm)

(hikerjer @ Dec. 24 2013, 11:20 am)

"Mere"?

I have to agree with hikerjer on that. Also we're not alone in valuing time out day hiking: on a weeklong alpine botany class Carl Sharsmith endlessly mocked (out of their hearing thank goodness) multi-day backpackers as "pack mules" needlessly suffering their burdens while we day hiked relatively unburdened over most all the same landscape.

Granted his seriousness was somewhat dimmed as he'd just come back from a weeklong route that went over Hell-For-Sure Pass....

Now, true, for real backpackers the Mid-Atlantic Ridge MUST be done as an overnighter, even if at under 12 parsecs it would seem unnecessary. Savor the awesomeness.....

It takes Walter at least three days to do what is a dayhike for most of us because he carries 180 pounds of gear.  So I can understand why it's not worthwhile for him to get out just for a day.

Honestly I agree with him, by and large, that I would much rather go on week long trips than dayhikes.  Unfortunately I have a job and other personal/social obligations so I take what I can get.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 25
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Semantics.  There's a walk around town, a walk around the block, A Walk In the Woods (see Bill Bryson), The Long Walk (see Slavomir Rawicz), and others.  I generally consider walks to be a few minutes or hours.

Hike.  Think day hike.  But if you put a bunch of day hikes back to back w/o the benefit of "modern conveniences", you get...

Trekking (not amongst the stars) is longer.  Multiday, multiweek.  I'd generally put thruhiking in this category.

Jer, please save a few of these topics.  Most of us need to get through at least March.
 Post Number: 26
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I try not to over-think it.
It's all just one foot in front of the other.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Dec. 24 2013, 5:11 pm)
Jer, please save a few of these topics.  Most of us need to get through at least March.

Consider it done. :D   I just wonder about these things.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Dec. 24 2013, 1:32 pm)
Déjŕ vue all over again. Don't we have this argument every year? . . .

Yeah, it seems so — but of course it's all for the edification of lurkers everywhere, young and old.  :D

When it comes right down to it, I give weighted deference to Websters or similar, reputable dictionary. So that is where I got my definitions for walk, hike, and trek. I avoid specialized lingo when possible and write for the general public. That is why I defer to good dictionaries.

"Trek" may not be a word originating in American English, but then the vast majority of standard English did not originate here either. English is a conglomeration of numerous foreign languages, so I see no reason to relegate the word "trek" to "foreign" status.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 29
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, I'm thinkin' that around February would be a good time for a Blue Puffy Shirt v Sequins thread.  You know who I'm talkin' 'bout...   :D
 Post Number: 30
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My personal distinctions:

Walk: Walking, but not on a trail (and I don't mean "off-trail"!)
Hike: Walking on a trail, or cross-country (i.e. "off-trail" :;): )
Trek: I think this is mainly terminology.  A multi-day hike would be called a trek in the Himilayas/Karakorams.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
51 replies since Dec. 24 2013, 2:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply walk vs hike vs trek
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions