2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best local headline ever< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 1:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the Volcano Under Yellowstone Ever Erupts Again, We’re Seriously Screwed

There’s a supervolcano under Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. Scientists just figured out that the magma chamber beneath the park is bigger – much, much bigger – than they ever realized. One day an eruption will come. When it does, the scientists say the magnitude of impact will be “a global event.”

The magma chamber is about 20 miles wide, 55 miles long, and goes as deep as three to nine miles below the Earth’s surface, according to researchers who presented these findings recently to the American Geophysical Union’s fall meeting in San Francisco. That’s roughly two and a half times as big as previously thought. It’s about 162 square miles of red hot molten magma.

“We’ve been working there for a long time, and we’ve always thought it would be bigger… but this finding is astounding,” said University of Utah Prof. Bob Smith.

article

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL. We were discussing this over last night's celebratory dinner as we debated the probability of natural threats here in Chicago. For some reason, tornadoes don't seem to ever reach the urban interface here, though plenty have come close. And the New Madrid fault isn't too far away.

I postulated that a large meteor crashing into Lake Michigan would create a tsunami that could destroy Chicago.

But the supervolcano. Well that would ruin it for all of us.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most amusing thing about this story is that a few months before the discovery was announced, another source was claimed that the danger of the Yellowstone volcano had been overplayed and that the mantle plume was perhaps almost choked off.  It wasn't convincing then; it's even less convincing now.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a friend in Bozeman who believes that ~90 miles and a mountain range will be enough to save the town. Right. Dream on.

Considering where I live, I'd have a little more time than those right next to it. Like enough time to grab a drink and hoist a toast.... as I got toasted....  :p

--------------

Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is what it is and will be what it will be. We are so insignifigant.
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like living at ground zero. It's a quicker, easier place to launch into eternity from...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hungry Jack ... your biggest worry should be a drive-by shooting.  :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked this one from our local paper this week.  

Let's just say speeding while transporting drugs is not a wise thing.  Dressed as she was, a surefire way to draw attention.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Jan. 01 2014, 8:06 pm)
Hungry Jack ... your biggest worry should be a drive-by shooting.  :)

Actually, it's Lincoln Park trixies driving giant SUVs while texting.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 10
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're just going to break off and fall into the ocean. Have fun with your volcano mmmkay?

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Jan. 01 2014, 7:08 pm)
We're just going to break off and fall into the ocean. Have fun with your volcano mmmkay?

There's a short fiction story where a scientist has calculated exactly when that was going to happen. No one really believed him except as the day got closer, people headed east. He was still in his lab on the west side of the Fault trying  to figure out why the math was bothering him when the Big One hit. He tripped trying to escape and could only hold on until everything stopped moving and he was surprised that he was still alive. He crawled to a window and looked east towards the Fault only to see water stretching to the horizon. He suddenly realized why the math was bothering him... he'd swapped a + for a - and it wasn't the WEST side falling into the ocean. It was everything EAST....

--------------

Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, those invading aliens from outer space better get a move-on, or they are going to lose a lot of publicity. I mean, what's a mere alien invasion compared to the Yellowstone caldera? Pffft!

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Ol Zeke should be more concerned it is 76* at 11:30 at night :D :D

Hehheh

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 14
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2014, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I'm not the one who lives next to that horse ranch in Eumenclaw, or however you spell it.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 15
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey man, don't forget: he moved to Florida after the Enumscratch Family Fun Farm Fiasco :D :D And got caught again.

LOL!!

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 16
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 6:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Growing up where I did (and living where I do), I never worried much about volcanoes, or tornadoes, or earthquakes or wildfires.  That said, as a child of the end of the Cold War, I knew full well that if the Soviets ever launched I was less than 40 miles from DC and Baltimore BY ROAD and the US Naval Academy was visible from my bedroom window.  I was pretty sure that I wasn't ever even going to know we had a problem, much less time to do anything about it.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2014, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jan. 01 2014, 11:18 pm)
Well, those invading aliens from outer space better get a move-on, or they are going to lose a lot of publicity. I mean, what's a mere alien invasion compared to the Yellowstone caldera? Pffft!

You mean those ones that made the crop circles in CA?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
16 replies since Jan. 01 2014, 1:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best local headline ever
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions