2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Check out this local headline< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three 'very dangerous' coyotes seen in Cicero backyard; police investigating

Cicero, N.Y. -- A Cicero woman taking her dogs outside Thursday morning saw three coyotes in her backyard, prompting an investigation from police and animal control agencies.

Coyotes can be "very dangerous," especially to domestic pets, said Cicero Chief of Police Joseph F. Snell. It is illegal to feed them, Snell said.

Sigh. Obviously the existence of the coyotes is what deems them to be "very dangerous". Also note that the neighborhood is adjacent to a large wildlife management area. You know, where you'd expect to see coyotes.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully this "investigation" will reach a proper conclusion. Humans.
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 09 2014, 12:30 pm)
Three 'very dangerous' coyotes seen in Cicero backyard; police investigating

Cicero, N.Y. -- A Cicero woman taking her dogs outside Thursday morning saw three coyotes in her backyard, prompting an investigation from police and animal control agencies.

Coyotes can be "very dangerous," especially to domestic pets, said Cicero Chief of Police Joseph F. Snell. It is illegal to feed them, Snell said.

Sigh. Obviously the existence of the coyotes is what deems them to be "very dangerous". Also note that the neighborhood is adjacent to a large wildlife management area. You know, where you'd expect to see coyotes.

Well, to be fair, they are pretty dangerous if you happen to be a stray chihuahua. :p

But I agree, the headline is a little slanted.  The lady saw three coyotes and they're automatically labeled "very dangerous" for just being there in the yard.  But, unfortunately, the headline is also pretty typical.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The overreaction in the NYC metro area is even funnier.  Schools in NE NJ have gone into lockdown because of a single nearby sighting.  In NW NJ,  coyotes roam with impunity and nobody cares.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mossy @ Jan. 09 2014, 12:34 pm)
Hopefully this "investigation" will reach a proper conclusion. Humans.

Indeed.  They will likely find that the coyotes--at some point--walked from the nearby forest into the yard, and then walked back into the forest.  And did so very dangerously.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The reporter missed the chance to educate the public - he should have mentioned that coyotes often eat children and adults, and will chase down and bite holes in the tires of a fleeing minivan to get a meal.
 Post Number: 7
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I thought you were going to post the news bit about I-81 being closed from Mexico to Canada.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Jan. 09 2014, 3:35 pm)
And I thought you were going to post the news bit about I-81 being closed from Mexico to Canada.

:D Here you go:

New "hard closure" w/ barricades on I-81 from Mexico, NY to Canada

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys will like this recent addition to the article:

Anyone who sees the coyotes should call 911.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 09 2014, 2:05 pm)

Ah, well, jeebus.  I guess I have to take my phone hiking now. :p

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe they're considered dangerous because they were seen with this:

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 09 2014, 4:05 pm)

The coyotes compete only with cars in controlling the deer population here.  The deer probably wish the key pads on cell phones were a little bigger.
 Post Number: 13
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They should have fined the woman for "baiting" and "feeding" the coyotes when she took her dogs outside...

The Sheriff did say that feeding them was illegal.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To spice it up, one outlet added a picture of wolf superimposed over a coyote:

Pray for me... I have to drive home soon. If I don't make it, it's been nice knowing y'all.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 09 2014, 4:34 pm)
To spice it up, one outlet added a picture of wolf to their article. Can't link to the photo, but here's the "article":

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=992321#.Us8Ve893siQ

Pray for me... I have to drive home soon. If I don't make it, it's been nice knowing y'all.

That one in the background must be really huge!   :laugh:
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2014, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 09 2014, 2:37 pm)
That one in the background must be really huge!   :laugh:

I didn't notice it until I took a second look.  WOW! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They have actual pictures of these vile beasts. That was one brave photographer, I tell ya. The vicious animals look ready to attack. I wonder if Fukashima radiation is making them larger and more aggressive?

--------------
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've had an urban coyote that's included a couple of our school grounds on its morning rounds.  People freaked a little at first, but the Superintendent noted that it is helping to control the gopher problem on the play fields, and doesn't stick around for recess, so no one is freaking out (to my immense surprise, to be honest).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Yorkers are getting soft.  In Pennsyltucky the headline would have been:

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 10 2014, 7:18 am)
The vicious animals look ready to attack. I wonder if Fukashima radiation is making them larger and more aggressive?

Yep, blame foreigners for everything....    :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The local roadrunner population is not amused by the flippant comments found in this thread.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 22
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If she's worried about coyotes maybe she needs some real dogs, not some sissy little snack prey sized dogs.

We had an overpopulation of stray cats in my neighborhood.  Then some coyotes showed up.  There's much fewer cats now.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 10 2014, 2:09 pm)
If she's worried about coyotes maybe she needs some real dogs, not some sissy little snack prey sized dogs.

We had an overpopulation of stray cats in my neighborhood.  Then some coyotes showed up.  There's much fewer cats now.

Or maybe move downtown and not on the edge of a wildlife management area.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 10 2014, 2:14 pm)

(spindle @ Jan. 10 2014, 2:09 pm)

Or maybe move downtown and not on the edge of a wildlife management area.

Don't go throwing common sense into the thing.  It's impolite.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dollars to donuts that when the police find the coyotes' lair, they'll discover the remains of those on the missing persons and cold case lists.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jan. 10 2014, 11:09 am)
We had an overpopulation of stray cats in my neighborhood.

Is it really a coincidence that microwave ovens are sized just right for cats?  Every household has a microwave.  C'mon, America, do your share to keep stray cats at bay!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 27
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jan. 10 2014, 1:44 pm)
The local roadrunner population is not amused by the flippant comments found in this thread.

Roadrunners?  Roadrunners?  That's the last straw.  I can handle unleashed dogs, mountain bikes, ATVs, coyotes, wolves, grizzlies, pikas, marmots, owls that hoot all night, charging guanacos, and even illegal brussels sprouts plots in the marijuana fields, but I draw the line at roadrunners.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jan. 10 2014, 3:03 pm)
Dollars to donuts that when the police find the coyotes' lair, they'll discover the remains of those on the missing persons and cold case lists.

And Sasquatch hair.  Coyotes eat everything.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jan. 10 2014, 3:06 pm)

(spindle @ Jan. 10 2014, 11:09 am)
We had an overpopulation of stray cats in my neighborhood.

Is it really a coincidence that microwave ovens are sized just right for cats?  Every household has a microwave.  C'mon, America, do your share to keep stray cats at bay!

I am rather fond of soy sauce.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2014, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jan. 10 2014, 3:11 pm)

(JimInMD @ Jan. 10 2014, 1:44 pm)

Roadrunners?  Roadrunners?  That's the last straw.  I can handle unleashed dogs, mountain bikes, ATVs, coyotes, wolves, grizzlies, pikas, marmots, owls that hoot all night, charging guanacos, and even illegal brussels sprouts plots in the marijuana fields, but I draw the line at roadrunners.

Are they hybridizing the vile 'sprout with MJ?

This thought is causing me much internal conflict.
40 replies since Jan. 09 2014, 2:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Check out this local headline
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions