2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What newspapers do you read..?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 9:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greeting,  BPers!

Do you read any newspapers?  I read online now; almost never a hard copy.  I peruse a variety on newspapers on a weekly basis.  I usually take a look at The Missoulian, the Chicago Tribune, the Oregonian, CSM, and a several others.  My favorite thing to read is Mountain West News.

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On-line at random and the  occasional Bozeman Chronicle that gets left in the breakroom at work.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Regularly:
    Jackson Hole News & Guide, Jackson, Wyoming
    Casper Star Tribune, Casper, Wyoming
    Rapid City Journal, Rapid City, South Dakota
Less regularly or sporadically:
    Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Bozeman, Montana
    Missoulian, Missoula, Montana
    Great Falls Tribune, Great Falls, Montana
    Daily Camera, Boulder, Colorado
    Denver Post, Denver, Colorado
All online. I don't buy newspapers.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Newspapers? Do they even print those anymore?

These things are going the way of the 8-track, cassette, VHS tape, and all the other outdated items.

CD and DVD are next on the chopping block.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grew up in the paper newspaper era and read news, not just the comics and sports.   As a younger  adult, long before the web era, declined daily or Sunday subscriptions to classic newspapers despite being pounded for years to do so, because like television, did not want to spend an hour or two each day doing so.  And Sundays was rarely at home.  Much like my aversion to watching endless fictional tv network programming of the day as most Americans.  But I did read newspapers on the fly irregularly like when a copy was laying about at workplaces during lunch.

No paper newspapers regularly and no specific online newspapers regularly.  However I read lots of linked news stories from a variety of web portals like Google, Yahoo, SFgate, CNN, Fox.   Have bookmarks to several classic newspapers like NYT, WP, LAT, CSM etc and some regional small town newspapers.  

In any case I greatly value the newspaper industry and hope all those employed in that service find ways to transition into the new media.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Jan. 18 2014, 8:40 am)
Newspapers? Do they even print those anymore?

These things are going the way of the 8-track, cassette, VHS tape, and all the other outdated items. . . .

Eventually, perhaps. But in this area, there is no better news source than the news-"papers" — that is, the online versions. The network media of TV and radio don't come close. The Internet blogs are not even in the running.

The national media pick up a story now and then like some absent-minded pedestrian who gets struck by the news at a random intersection. Otherwise, they are not even paying attention.

What happens in the big city with its multiple TV stations doesn't always follow so quickly in the less populous areas of this country.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read the Newark Star-Ledger and the local weekly (Township Journal) in hard copy.  I read the Wall Street Journal and New York Times whenever they cross my path.  I read  many others on my travels.
 Post Number: 8
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All of them    :;):
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a local newspaper that is delivered free.  I read that.

I regularly visit the 9 News (TV) website.  If I want more detail, I'll usually go to the Denver Post.
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Online:  Reuters (informative but not really a newspaper), Washington Post, a couple of local sites.

Hardcopy:  Washington Post (Sunday), Economist (informative but in magazine format), Barron's.
 Post Number: 11
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2014, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read two online news summaries, taking in most of the big newspapers.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Subscribe to the SF Chronicle.  The spouse got us an on-line subscription to the NY Times, but I mostly let him read it and send me links to interesting articles.  

I also keep an eye on the Boulder Camera and sometimes the Seattle Times, just to know what's up in our other home towns :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2014, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I occasionally read hard copies of the local Colorado Daily, since it's distributed freely at work.  But other than that, nothing consistently.  I'll read various stories from various sources online.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still subscribe to the Houston Chronicle, I guess I'm old fashioned, just can't bring myself to use a digital device when I'm on the throne in the morning.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 15
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I peruse the online versions of several newspapers, plus the Drudgereport for my daily dose of rightist newslinks, I prove my old age by subscribing and reading daily over breakfast my local hometown paper (Provo Daily Herald). I see a lot of duplication in national/international news, but if you want to know what the city council did, which of your old friends/distant relatives departed this mortal coil, and other things of no concern to anyone more than 50 miles away, there is nothing like the local paper.
Not to mention the sports and comics.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read the Jackson Hole Daily almost every day and the News & Guide on Wednesdays. Online I favor the New York Times and Washington Post as IMO the best National News Sources we have. I will read editorials from a number of different publications. I read the High Country News about half the time it comes out.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 17
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Hummelstown Sun.
 Post Number: 18
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WSJ
The Economist
the New Yorker
CNN (comments are entertaining)
High Country News
The Week
St Louis Post Dispatch
Chicago Tribune

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 19
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For work online I get Google Alerts for a variety of Forest related topics from a wide variety of publications

We get the San Bernardino Sun in the office which I'll page through occasionally

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 20
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I regularly read the Tampabay Times and New York Times both on line and occasionally a paper copy.  I also read a number of other on line papers from all other the country.   With my interest in health care I read the on line publication Health News Florida daily and get health news updates from the CDC, Kasier Health News and others.  I watch a number of the news channels primarily BBC News, Aljazeera News, CNN.  I watch some of the more slanted new channels at times including MSNBC and Fox News.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 21
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Raleigh News & Observer.  Mainly for the crossword and word jumble puzzles and cartoons.  Sometimes I'll read the news if I'm really bored. :D

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 22
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Growing up it was always the Billings Gazette and the Cody Enterprise. I still follow the billings paper online but Cody requires a paid access to view more than three online stories a month. I just don't.

Here the Eureka Times-Standard and the Daily Triplicate and the Curry Coastal Pilot are used in newspapers in education projects in the school and available on line too. I only grab a stack of leftovers from the school to start fires in my woodstove

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
21 replies since Jan. 18 2014, 9:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What newspapers do you read..?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions