2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Awesome community torn apart by technical issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
null Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 5:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These message boards have been an amazing community and incredible resource for many years.  But the fact that topic tracking doesn't work just ruins the entire forum because you're never notified if there's a follow up.

This has happened before and there seemed to be a mass exodus of casual users and now it seems to have happened again.  

I know that technical issues are inevitable and that the site is going to be reincarnated, but I hate that the thriving community is much less vibrant than it could be because of this one technical issue.

Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
cuester Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep in mind we are on the cusp of a server software change so anyday now that feature may be available.

Just saying...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least we know that notifications work on the reincarnated site.  :D
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(null @ Jan. 28 2014, 3:05 pm)
. . . But the fact that topic tracking doesn't work just ruins the entire forum because you're never notified if there's a follow up.

This has happened before and there seemed to be a mass exodus of casual users and now it seems to have happened again. . . .

Of all the threads we've had criticizing the forum software etc., that is the first time I've heard that specific claim. And I think it is over-stated.

I personally have never used that function. I simply check the threads I've posted in. I darn sure don't want an email for every follow-up post. I check the forums far more often than I do my email.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never used notifications anyway.  If I want to see whether anyone's responded to a thread, I just go to the thread and look.  I don't personally want to get an email every time someone responds.  My Inbox gets enough junk in it already.  But, I guess some folks like that feature.  HYOH, as they say.

But as others noted, we're supposed to be upgrading forum software any day now, so it wouldn't alarm me if several features go a bit haywire in the meantime. I wouldn't sweat it.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"torn apart"?

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 7
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never use topic tracking on any forum I frequent.  I just read topics from the top and work my way down the top few.
 Post Number: 8
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never used the topic tracking function either.   I would consider that one of the minor technical issues that have plagued the site for years.

Being down for several days, funky picture posting, weird avatar issues, SLOW performance are much higher on the list of technical issues that have been complained about over the years.

I do agree that all combined have contributed to the lower level of participation.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 9
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Awesome community torn apart by technical issue"
I thought this was going to be a thread about Syria and how all the different factions can't agree sometime on technicalities.
I am now relieved to learn that it is about message board problems.

Life is tough.
 Post Number: 10
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I could get an email every time someone used the phrase "Casa Bonita" that would be really cool.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jan. 28 2014, 7:12 pm)
"torn apart"?

Rent, riven, and ripped asunder!  We're the tattered remains of a once-great civilization.
 Post Number: 12
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 28 2014, 9:50 pm)

"torn apart"?

Rent, riven, and ripped asunder!  We're the tattered remains of a once-great civilization.

tr00. The Nature Boy had previously kept it all together.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just use the "mark all as read" right before I exit that way when I come back new stuff is highlighted.
 Post Number: 14
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 28 2014, 5:50 pm)

"torn apart"?

I really hope the new software has a 'like' button. :)

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 15
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love will tear us apart again
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(orygawn @ Jan. 29 2014, 12:58 am)

I thought that was the new Captain and Tennille song.
 Post Number: 17
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 2:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 28 2014, 10:25 pm)

(orygawn @ Jan. 29 2014, 12:58 am)

I thought that was the new Captain and Tennille song.

Tennille is with David Haselhoff now
 Post Number: 18
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 7:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was really hoping this would be about pam and margarine.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 19
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the brussell sprout controversy can't rip this community asunder nothing can.
 Post Number: 20
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1st World Problems are a beotch.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 21
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If this forum can survive TPA, it can survive anything.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 22
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 28 2014, 9:50 pm)

"torn apart"?

Agree on the tattered part.

I wasn't even concious of the tracking notifications.  LOL

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MMMmmmm, brussel sprouts...

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have seen worse. The new editor and crew of backpacker are trying to help the forum. It had been neglected for so long. Steve has done a commendable job for us who enjoy and use it.
23 replies since Jan. 28 2014, 5:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Awesome community torn apart by technical issue
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions