2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: One way to lose friends on facebook...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pass-thru Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 10:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made the following post:

"if you think America's beautiful then learn to speak the language"

...immediately my friend count dropped.  Some snarky comments also, which I deleted.  Probably because some were from my best from college, who's now a college professor.  The only other FB friend of mine that is also a professor was one of the one's to delete me.  He is constantly ranting nonsense and yet he can't tolerate that fairly benign statement.  I thought college professor are supposed to be able to tolerate other viewpoints.

Interesting experiment anyway.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find it funny that someone defending a statement based on a combination of ignorance (the USA has no official state language) and intolerance of others different from them, complains of "intolerance" because people grew tired of hearing ignorant messages on their FB wall and voluntarily unfriended them.

Just a thought, most the ancestors of the folks repeating this type of message probably didn't know Navajo or Cherokee when they got off the boats, nor did they ever try to learn.  You want to talk about actual intolerance, today's immigrants aren't mass exterminating those already here just to make room for themselves.

But you're right, interesting experiment.  Perhaps not for the exact same reasons you came up with though.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't realize that use of a common language constitutes a viewpoint?  OK to call somebody "stupid" for espousing the idea that America should still be a melting pot?
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you've mistaken TR for TPA...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 04 2014, 9:14 pm)
I didn't realize that use of a common language constitutes a viewpoint?  OK to call somebody "stupid" for espousing the idea that America should still be a melting pot?

Not sure who you're quoting there.  No one called you "stupid".  Merely that your viewpoint (and yes, your Facebook statement was in fact a "viewpoint") is based on a foundation based on ignorance, which was pointed out.

A "melting pot" does not mean that everyone need be fully 100% assimilated by the time they enter the country.  Plenty of German and Polish immigrants didn't know a lick of English when they got off the boat, and it didn't end the country then either.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 7
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pass-thru

What if, by chance, part of what one finds so beautiful about America is the multitude of different languages we hear when we travel around it? What then?

Or, for example, if I think some Southerner is beautiful? Should I adopt a southern accent? Or if I think Chile is beautiful? Should I speak Spanish? Or one of the 2 (yes 2) branches of language the native Mapuche speak? Some people might say mountains are beautiful. You speak mountain? Or bears - they're beautiful. How should I roar?

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 8
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PS: I'm guessing you think the song itself is beautiful? Can you play it?

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nobody here called me stupid, but some of my "friends" more or less called me such.  Just surprised that so many were so quick to delete over that one comment.  I don't get involved in politics on facebook....this was the exception.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 04 2014, 9:46 pm)
Just surprised that so many were so quick to delete over that one comment.

Maybe it was just the one comment, maybe it wasn't.  Maybe it was just the last straw that made them decide it wasn't worth listening to anymore. Hard to say for sure without asking them.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 04 2014, 10:51 pm)
Maybe it was just the one comment, maybe it wasn't.  Maybe it was just the last straw that made them decide it wasn't worth listening to anymore. Hard to say for sure without asking them.

That's what I was wondering as well. I've never unfriended anyone, but the few times I've been tempted, it's been when people post large amounts of drivel every day, not just one dumb post or one post whose politics I disagree with (like the one in question here).
 Post Number: 12
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 04 2014, 7:46 pm)
nobody here called me stupid, but some of my "friends" more or less called me such.  

or, maybe it's just a stupid comment?

--------------

Post Number: 13
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 04 2014, 11:51 pm)

Just surprised that so many were so quick to delete over that one comment.

First and only social/political/whatever post.  Don't put hunting pictures or anything really to cause controversy.  The only 2 lost threads that I can identify are the type that rant off there butts everyday and really no loss.  Not sure who the others are but none of my immigrant friends as far as I can tell.
 Post Number: 15
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's an internet hoax picture, SWT. She never said that (out loud).

--------------

Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

....I guess I must amend my earlier statement.  It appears that I was deleted by Chinese roommate of 6 months from my early days in the military.  His parents don't speak English.  Certainly didn't mean to offend him.  Maybe I'll shoot him a PM in a few days and apologize.
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is p-t bragging about tweaking people in general, or is there special glee in tweaking old friends?
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 04 2014, 10:35 pm)
....I guess I must amend my earlier statement.  It appears that I was deleted by Chinese roommate of 6 months from my early days in the military.  His parents don't speak English.  Certainly didn't mean to offend him.  Maybe I'll shoot him a PM in a few days and apologize.

So basically, once you realized that your comment wasn't just a hand-wavey generality about "those people" and was instead about actual people (people who you seem to have at least some respect for), you felt remorse and thought that an apology might be in order.

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for preemptive introspection in the future.  Just a crazy thought.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An unintended consequence, perhaps.  The purpose of this thread isn't so much the substance of my post, otherwise I would have put in TPA. I'm more interested in the eggshell sensitivities possessed by a lot of people generally, especially when it's the same people who don't really care about the sensitivies of people they disagree with.  I don't think my comment was particularly inflammatory, nor was it intended to be.  

I would never treat somebody poorly because they don't speak English.  Also, I don't expect every immigrant to learn English if it is not practible.  However, I also don't like the concept of celebrating the lack of ability to assimilare at that  with regard to language.  And I don't get the impression that the ones that are making that celebration are the immigrants in question.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 04 2014, 10:51 pm)
I would never treat somebody poorly because they don't speak English.  Also, I don't expect every immigrant to learn English if it is not practible.

No no, of course not, you'd never do that.  You'd just insult them online, and then get offended if they roll their eyes at it and unfriend you on FB.  Because, y'know, obviously they have eggshell sensitivities.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 05 2014, 1:01 am)

I would never treat somebody poorly because they don't speak English.  Also, I don't expect every immigrant to learn English if it is not practible.

No no, of course not, you'd never do that.  You'd just insult them online and then get offended if they roll their eyes at it and unfriend you on FB.  Because, y'know, they obviously have eggshell sensitivities.

You make too many assumptions. Not offended by the majority of those who deleted me.  Somewhat ashamed that I lacked the moral courage to delete them first.  

To the extent that I offended somebody such as my former roommate.......that is why I generally stay away from inane political discussions on facebook.  :)
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 05 2014, 1:01 am)

No no, of course not, you'd never do that.  You'd just insult them online, and then get offended if they roll their eyes at it and unfriend you on FB.  Because, y'know, obviously they have eggshell sensitivities.

To be fair, it's not a controlled experiment.  It could just be that pass-thru's friends actually do have egg-shell sensitivities.  However, the experiment is not designed to show whether this characteristic is equally prevalent in the general population.

Then of course there are the egg shells themselves.  I suspect pass-thru hatched in the DDT era, when egg shells were thinner than they are now.
 Post Number: 23
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Feb. 04 2014, 10:23 pm)
That's an internet hoax picture, SWT. She never said that (out loud).

No really ? sarcasm on

It has also been linked to Palin as well.

The original quote:

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it ought to be good enough for the children of Texas"

The interesting thing is that this quote, though normally attributed to the first woman Governor of Texas, "Ma" Ferguson ,spoken about the push for bilingual education back in the 20's is likely 50 yrs older than that.

And this is a good one for the Romney supporters.

"Joseph Smith translated brass plates from some ancient language into English; the results were the Book of Mormon, among others. The Book of Mormon tells the story of Christ in the Americas, but English was not the language spoken in the Americas at the time"

Joan of Arc was put to death, partially because she claimed that God spoke to her in French, instead of English.

In the mean time, how many bilingual ads did Bush air during his runs for POTUS ?

If anything, now people know that the National Anthem was written by a lesbian. sarcasm on

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 05 2014, 1:31 am)
Then of course there are the egg shells themselves.  I suspect pass-thru hatched in the DDT era, when egg shells were thinner than they are now.

....I have rhino skin.  Always have.  

When I was in 1st grade, I was almost as big as some of the 3rd and 4th graders in the same school.  I had to pass by them everyday going from the parking lot to my class room.  Which meant I got picked on every morning.  So my brother in 7th grade would walk me to my classroom every morning.  One day he wasn't there.  Two bullies cornered me with the apparent intent to beat me up.  Terrified and nowhere to run, I took off my cardigan sweater with big buttons, held it by the wrists, and beat the crap out of both of them with it.  Never got picked on by them again and didn't need my brother anymore.  

May seem like a silly  but being a big kid for my age and constantly picked on by kids 2-3 years older gave me very thick skin, which I can now appreciate.  It also has made me a big advocate for the underdog.  And I have stuck my neck out many times when I though somebody hasn't been treated right.
 Post Number: 25
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 7:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't get involved in politics on facebook....this was the exception.

Post Number: 26
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you think America's beautiful then learn to speak the language

Really. Which one would that be since there are dozens of dialects of "English" spoken in the US?
The ones from the deep South? How about "Downeasters" in ME? Inner city LA? Tex-Mex along the border?
Take someone from Louisiana and drop them in Northern ME. Think they'll understand each other easily?
How about someone speaking "Ebonics" in WV?

There is no real single "language" in the US.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 27
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After the controversy around the Coke ad, I am not sure what other reaction was expected.  Most people do not want what they consider to be distasteful to be put in front of them.  If you really thought this was innocuous, you are not as bright as I thought.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Feb. 05 2014, 8:29 am)
After the controversy around the Coke ad, I am not sure what other reaction was expected.  Most people do not want what they consider to be distasteful to be put in front of them.  If you really thought this was innocuous, you are not as bright as I thought.  

Not really tracking the controversy, Zeke.  Didn't watch the game and aware of the add due to all the gushing on facebook.

I fully intended to poke my highminded ivory tower type friends who are always eager to pat themselves on the back.  Did not realize that they would feel necessary to terminate friendship over such a poke.  Won't lose sleep over the loss.
 Post Number: 29
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pass-thru @ Feb. 05 2014, 8:41 am)
I fully intended to poke my highminded ivory tower type friends who are always eager to pat themselves on the back.  Did not realize that they would feel necessary to terminate friendship over such a poke.

Curious--do you consider "high minded" to be derogatory?
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only if you're giving yourself a pat for being such.

Noticed I used words like "poke" and "friends."

I have never deleted a friend for posts....and two biggest offenders out of my close to 300 friends are now gone.  One deleted me.  The other I deleted following insults as a result of that post.
107 replies since Feb. 04 2014, 10:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply One way to lose friends on facebook...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions