2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I Need Help Finding the Best Hat for the SW< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2014, 11:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will be leaving to hike the New Mexico section of the CDT in 6- 8 weeks.  I just got back from 5 sunny days in the Superstition Mtn here in AZ and I am not satisfied with my current hat made by Sun*Day Afternoons.  It is a Safari style hat but the sides just aren't enough to cover my ears and side of my face adequately.  I need suggestions.  Links, help.

BTW, the Superstitions still have some water.  Creek along the Reavis trail is running, but in a few other creeks that should be running with water in a normal year only had a few pools.  5 days- great trip.  Superstitions are rugged, challenging wilderness.  Just very dry this year.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2014, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Outdoor Research hats with the flappy sides.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cabelas, Columbia, OR, REI, etc. all make great desert hats aka salt flats fishing hats.

My favorite is my nearly 15 yr old Columbia Salt Flats hat.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just use a baseball hat with a bandanna underneath that hangs across my neck, ears and part of my face.  Multi use, too!

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recommend either a Tilley hat (one of the ones wit the mesh venting or a Columbia Boonie hat. The Columbia one is nice as you can fold it up for easier stowing in a pack.
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything with a large enough all-around brim if almost no chance of rain.  I tried a boonie from OR last year but the brim was short enough where my chin and lower jaw got a little burnt.  Summithut in Tucson had a big selection of Sunday Afternoon, so I bought a fairly regular looking "Field Hat" with a large brim that will (1) provide lots of shade, (2)resist wind, and allow (3) ventilation + (4) peripheral vision.

If it can be either really rainy or hot sunny (i.e the afternoon monsoon seasons coming up from Baja), I may go the ball cap with cape option as described by Hoosierdaddy as the ball cap provides a visor.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could always go the keffiyeh/shemagh route.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Feb. 21 2014, 1:00 pm)

That Sunday Afternoon has coverage that few hats can beat, so adding new elements might help.

I use one of these.  You can wear it so it doesn't cover your nose and chin, but still have total protection on ears and neck.  Summit Hut in Tucson carries them if you want to see one in person.
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like a DPC (Dorfman) Safari hat with mesh sidewalls. It has a chin strap and extra wide brim. I've worn these on many sunny SW hikes & trailwork trips. They sell them at all the hardwear stores around here. It's not an investment, so I'm not afraid to trash it.
 Post Number: 10
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Feb. 21 2014, 11:20 am)
I recommend either a Tilley hat (one of the ones wit the mesh venting or a Columbia Boonie hat.

I've got one of those mesh-sided Tilley hats that I wear when I'm fishing. Always wondered if the mesh would prevent a sunburn.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 11
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear the Sun Day Afternoon Field hat. Its wide brim keeps the sun way and gives protection from mild Sierra showers.
 Post Number: 12
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at any of the wide brim Tilley hats. They have 1/8” close cell foam in the brim and in the top of the crown. That makes a big difference when the hot sun is beating down on your head and will insulate you from it much better than a hat that does not use it. I like their Nylamide hats, a nylon that dries fast and is lighter than the cotton canvas models.

For ear and neck protection I wear a buff Saharaine style, pulled down over my ears, under the hat and another buff neckerchief style.

This, the hat on me in the foreground, is an old one that they don't sell anymore in this particular detail but it still works. We are kind of clowning around at the end of the day but still alive with some good hat protection.

That might be a Sunday Afternoon hat on my friend in the background. He likes it just fine. Lot of good choices these days...
 Post Number: 13
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Doug,

This is what I've been using for long years.  Also very useful against mosquitoes and black flies:

http://www.ebay.com/itm....252e784

Sometimes can find them in Big 5 Sporting Goods for under $20.  The only sun hat with a removable neck drape (Velcro attached).   Bill is extra big.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I had the money, this Tilly LTM8 Mesh Airflow would be my choice.  I need a hat which venilates.  Most boony hats lay on top of the head and don't allow for airflow over the head.  My head gets hot with those type.  Same applies to ball cap designs.

Anyway, get the type of hat which works for you.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 15
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I prefer a brimmed hat of some sort, I typically use a buff in either the Saharaine style or the biker/balaclava style as I have a problem with getting a bad heat rash on my forehead from wearing hats.
 Post Number: 16
alcap Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd recommend something as close to a sombrero as you are willing to wear.  Though they are mostly for show these days, they developed to protect the wearer from intense sunshine.
 Post Number: 17
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alcap @ Feb. 21 2014, 3:23 pm)
I'd recommend something as close to a sombrero as you are willing to wear.  Though they are mostly for show these days, they developed to protect the wearer from intense sunshine.

Hey, that's pretty fu...

Wait, were you being serious?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 18
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't find any Sunday Afternoons safari hat, but the Adventure hat offers very complete coverage.  You can get the Dermasafe version with the side mesh closed off if you are short on natural scalp coverings.  (Which answers Tomas' question about the mesh and protection--no, it doesn't.)

The Sport hat is a bit more dicey--in some conditions I worry it might not completely protect my ears.

There are hats and drapes that offer still more protection; one of my friends is on immunosuppressants that make her very vulnerable to skin cancer, and she uses some of those.  They are too hot for me.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 19
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't think of a simpler equipment choice. Any hat woven with plant fiber and a wide brim will meet your requirements. My experience with losing hats suggests the cheaper the better. I prefer a loose weave for air flow. A good Panama hat can be folded up, but you will most likely wear it everyday and honestly, when you are done with this trip it's not going be as handsome, no matter how you clean it.

I like my Tilley for day hikes or canoeing and my OR Seattle Sombrero for cool rainy weather, and an old Sierra Designs bomber for the cold. I have a Stetson for dates with cow girls. A bandana is useful for digging ditches, but pick something that you won't miss if a goat eats it or you need tender to start a fire. Unless of course, you are going to be pursued by the paparazzi.

Happy trails RedDoug.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be sure to test run your choice while wearing your filled pack: for myself all-around wide brims interfere with my pack top (or vice versa) and that get's old just about instantly.
 Post Number: 21
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Style is obviously subjective...pick whatever hat works best for you.
Personally, I too like the Tilley.

Interesting that to date (maybe a bit of hat profiling here?), of all those strangers met backcountry, (and there have been quite a few)...
I never have meshed/ felt comfortable/ enjoyed the company of - anyone wearing this type... http://www.ebay.com/itm....252e784

Probably just me.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 22
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is another strategy for dealing with the sun, a sun umbrella made for holding while walking that is collapsible when one wants to store it in pack:

http://www.coolibar.com/product....593.uts

In some hot desert environments where there are few features to hide beneath, the mid day sun can be so unpleasant one just wants to hide from its searing rays for a few hours.   Maybe that is why really large sombreros are popular down south.   For a lot less weight and much more compact when collapsed, an umbrella like the above might be more a tool for a desert hiker.  In fact I'm considering buying that model now.

David

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 23
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Feb. 21 2014, 10:37 am)
I just use a baseball hat with a bandanna underneath that hangs across my neck, ears and part of my face.  Multi use, too!

This, and I also use and old school Mil-spec hot climate military boony in snow camo thats about 20 years old and worn in just perfect.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Feb. 21 2014, 6:03 pm)
Style is obviously subjective...pick whatever hat works best for you.
Personally, I too like the Tilley.

Interesting that to date (maybe a bit of hat profiling here?), of all those strangers met backcountry, (and there have been quite a few)...
I never have meshed/ felt comfortable/ enjoyed the company of - anyone wearing this type... http://www.ebay.com/itm....252e784

Probably just me.

They wear a "page not found" hat?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Feb. 21 2014, 1:00 pm)

Those are becoming very popular and work well..  I'm getting one for when I use the RzR this summer...
 Post Number: 26
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 3:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Feb. 21 2014, 2:50 pm)
If I had the money, this Tilly LTM8 Mesh Airflow would be my choice.  I need a hat which venilates.  Most boony hats lay on top of the head and don't allow for airflow over the head.  My head gets hot with those type.  Same applies to ball cap designs.

Anyway, get the type of hat which works for you.

Rumi

I had a Tilley hat up until last year and somehow I lost it.  I just sent Tilley an email to see if I can get some help replacing it.  

I don't remember if I registered it, but I do have a few pictures of me wearing it.

Now to see what happens next.

I really did like my Tilley.

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
25 replies since Feb. 20 2014, 11:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I Need Help Finding the Best Hat for the SW
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions