2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who would have thought?, Globally January one of the warmest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 2:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watching the weather channel one may think the next ice age is just around the corner. :) Just goes to show we need to look at the whole picture and not just what in our backyard.  

In Tampa, where I live, we have not seen any record colds or any freezing temperatures, but we have had a record high low temperature just a few days ago.  

Below are a couple of links from NOAA

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/1

https://www.facebook.com/NOAANat....theater

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not all that surprising, looking at the global data.  Sure, the eastern US was getting hammered with cold air, but just ask Carl here, Alaska was unseasonably mild and warm, as was Greenland.  Greenland doesn't surprise me: I've been looking all last month at daily temp readings from my three stations up there, not nearly as cold as you'd expect in mid-winter.  My stations are inside the dark-red over southern Greenland.  I'm tentatively worried about this coming summer up there, although it's far too soon yet to make predictions.

But back to the point, stepping back and looking at the whole globe, in general you see more pink than blue last month.  Unfortunately the Arctic ocean is left out of these samples, as that region in general is warming significantly faster (about 2x) than the rest of the planet.  It paints a different picture if you're looking at the whole Arctic instead of cutting it off around ~70* latitude.  (I'm not sure what Antarctica's been up to the past several months... I have colleagues down there right now, I'll ask 'em when they return, lol.)

Funny thing about Russia... it was abnormally cold in January, following a ridiculously-hot December (see last year's highlights).  They're probably feeling thermal whiplash from that.  It'd be curious to see how that averages out over the whole winter.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, those of us on the West Coast aren't at all surprised by this :(

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 4
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I continue to be amazed at how people think that what they are experiencing locally is exactly what is happening globally.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 5
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 21 2014, 5:08 pm)
I continue to be amazed at how people think that what they are experiencing locally is exactly what is happening globally.

Like the Fox "News" talking heads who claim that climate change is a hoax because it snowed in NYC last month?
 Post Number: 6
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Phh...  Every second of everyday is the warmest since the big bang depending on who you talk to.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 6:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 21 2014, 6:10 pm)
Phh...  Every second of everyday is the warmest since the big bang depending on who you talk to.

Which is why it's handy to look at global datasets if you want a picture of what's going on with the globe.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meh...  I'm not convinced.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not surprised.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cowgiano @ Feb. 21 2014, 4:24 pm)

(Ecocentric @ Feb. 21 2014, 5:08 pm)

Like the Fox "News" talking heads who claim that climate change is a hoax because it snowed in NYC last month?

Proof positive of Faux News's myopic view of society and the world. :p

What we are experiencing (wild swings are variation in the weather) is the new normal.  Fasten your seatbelts!

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 22 2014, 8:57 am)
I'm not surprised.

You mad bro?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 22 2014, 8:01 am)

(GoBlueHiker @ Feb. 22 2014, 8:57 am)
I'm not surprised.

You mad bro?

Uhhh, no.  Just an observation, bro.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We called last month Junuary - haven't heard anything clever for February yet.  But, yeah, it's been like spring/summer around here.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here ya go...  The Truth.  Learn it.  Love it.  Live it.

http://iceagenow.info/
 Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Starbreaker, you are cracking me up. Not an ounce of science on that site. To pick on one single article, ice insulates the water beneath from air temperature. That has made life possible through some of those many natural cycles of the Earth's climate. Don't confuse gullibility with insight. This past January was the fourth hottest in recorded history. That may not be conclusive, but it is more than you got.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
At least now I know you're just trolling for kicks, Starbreaker.  Thanks for the chuckle.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a lot of scientist trying to justify their jobs to me.....  "oh noes, I just bought a house!  I need to make scary data to justify this grant!"  

Like I said.  I'm not convinced.  To many shady numbers.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OMGWTFPWNED!!!!

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014....0-years

OMGNOTAGAIN!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news....2513076
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lol.

Don't worry Starbreaker, keep at it, you'll get better at it.  You were a little too obvious this time around.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@Starbreaker: Yeah, like the Lower 48 states are the only places on earth that matter — unless you live in New York. Then only New York matters and can be taken as a representative sampling of the entire earth's surface and atmosphere. And don't forget, the sun revolves around the earth. Right?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look, I know we need to very much take care of our little blue ball, but the numbers don't add up.  Now, I know you guys need them to fit your political agenda.  But for now for every fact you post I can do the same.  No trolling needed.

P.S. I don't live in new york.
 Post Number: 22
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 21 2014, 5:10 pm)

Huh?  The temp of the "known" universese has steadily cooled every second since the big bang.  localized areas can periodically get warmer but the overall temp of the "known" universe continues to cool.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 22 2014, 11:37 am)
Look, I know we need to very much take care of our little blue ball, but the numbers don't add up.

lol... which numbers would you be referring to, per se? :laugh:

So far there's only been one set of the numbers "added up" globally in this thread.  And they point to a January that was warmer than average, added up across the globe.  Do you have any substantive beef with NOAA's numbers or how they measured them?

Linking to a blog post or an intentionally-cherry-picked subset from a propaganda site isn't terribly convincing, especially while simultaneously whining about "shady numbers."  If you think NOAA's global numbers are wrong, feel free to point out in what way.  If you think wattsupwiththat or iceagenow are substantive data websites, you're pretty gullible to say the least.

Or just trolling, which is more likely.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 24
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 22 2014, 11:37 am)
. . . Now, I know you guys need them to fit your political agenda. . . .

Oh gosh, what the heck is my political agenda? I haven't the foggiest notion. Where does a person get one? Was I supposed to be adopted and initiated or something? What makes you so sure I even have one? ???

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

T- Quite often there's an ankle tattoo. Might be prudent to check?

What happens in Colorado sometimes doesn't stay in Colorado. Ifyouknowwhatimean.
 Post Number: 26
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 22 2014, 1:21 pm)
T- Quite often there's an ankle tattoo. Might be prudent to check?. . .

I wish you hadn't said that. I just looked and found fingerprints on the pads of my toes. Someone has been messing with my genes.  :O

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can cherry pick your NOAA data and that Roy Spencer blog can Cherry pick his.  Believe you want and I'll believe what I want and we can both do what each of us wants to protect the planet.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 22 2014, 6:04 pm)
You can cherry pick your NOAA data and that Roy Spencer blog can Cherry pick his.  Believe you want and I'll believe what I want and we can both do what each of us wants to protect the planet.

You seem a little confused about what the term "cherry pick" actually means.  I'll gladly help explain it if you like.

You didn't cite anything by Roy Spencer.  You brought up blogs and a classic denier propaganda site, meant to fool those who don't spend much time thinking critically.

And you still didn't point out exactly which numbers you were referring to that "don't add up."  Did you have anything specific to share with us?  Illuminate us, please.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't need to "prove" anything...  Simply look past your nose at the data presented.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Feb. 22 2014, 7:15 pm)
I don't need to "prove" anything...  Simply look past your nose at the data presented.

I didn't say the word "prove."  Nice reading though.

The data is presented clearly in the figure in post #2, from the NOAA link in Post #1.  Global data from the source painting the whole global picture for January 2014 (not a cherry-picked spatial subset), direct from the folks who collect the data.  Take a look at the data yourself, if you'd like.

I can assume by now when you said "the numbers don't add up," you were just blowing hot air, given you've yet to provide any actual substance behind that.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
39 replies since Feb. 21 2014, 2:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who would have thought?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions