2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Distracting Driving< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 1:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's illegal here in BC to operate a cell phone when driving. How about where you are?

This is a pretty good example of the potential consequences. Stop the video at 1:05, and you can see the guy just before the moment of impact talking on his phone.

http://www.cbc.ca/news....2561507

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Operating a cell phone being held, yes. Handsfree: no.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/safety-laws.php#Cell-Phone-Laws

Tricky but important issue:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top....ex.html
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought it was illegal to talk on a cell unless it was hands free all across the nation, but not illegal here in Florida.  It is illegal to text while driving, so they have that going for them.

As for another driver distracting me?  I had a woman pull her top down once while I was trying to talk to her at a light.  She turned left, and I was stuck in the going straight lane so I never got to have a date with her, but I still remember that tube top being down around her navel.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hands-free only here, and even that may not last much longer.

I've noticed that many rental cars are now modified to disable built-in phone and media player connections.
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bozeman has an ordinance on operating any handheld device within city limits, including MP3 players, etc. on public roadways even if stopped at a stopsign or stoplight. Handsfree use only, meaning if a device cannot be operating by voice, it cannot be used.
$100 ticket for a 1st offense.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My cell phone doesn't work most places I drive around here, so it doesn't matter much.

They did pass a "no texting" rule .. and I think they've only handed out one ticket since.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 7
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 06 2014, 1:56 pm)
Operating a cell phone being held, yes. Handsfree: no.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/safety-laws.php#Cell-Phone-Laws

Tricky but important issue:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top....ex.html

True--but driving while you are eating spaghetti, scolding your children, or putting on eyelashes is perfectly legal.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 8
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What strikes me as crazy with this particular video is that right at the moment the truck is going to be nailed, the driver on the cell phone stills looks like he has no clue of what is about to happen. I've stopped the HD video at the very last frame before impact (and where the driver is still visible) ... he has no reaction what-so-ever!

Pretty amazing footage of just how 'tuned out' people can be behind the wheel while talking on a cell phone.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wyoming outlaws texting while driving but not hand-held cell phones. I don't think the state legislature is even close to outlawing hand-held cell phone use while driving. I guess legislators need something to occupy their time on the long drive home.

I've never owned a cell phone, but I do have a hands-free phone in my pickup truck. I've never used it while driving, however. In the last six months I only used 7 minutes of my purchased time, and that was while sitting in a parking lot with the engine off.

Frankly, I find any conversation distracting while I'm driving — sometimes even my own imagination. Eating, fiddling with the radio, etc. can also be distracting. (I haven't tried putting on makeup yet. Heh, heh.)

By the way, I liked the music that guy was listening to. Anyone know what it was?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 10
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Handheld phones just became illegal while driving in Illinois on Jan1 - but I think they were already illegal in Chicago.  

It's weird what people film these days,though...I mean, don't you wonder why those people were filming their drive in the first place?  Do people do this just in case of accident?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No hand held devices while driving in my city but you'd never know. It's such a widely ignored law that I really don't think anyone takes it seriously including the police.  But it's something that really pushes my buttons. Today while stopped at a light, I looked around and there were at least four people around me talking on their phones while driving.  If I see it happening and have the opportunity, I usually say something like, "Why don't you hangup before you  hurt someone."  That's when I'm polite. It's amazing.  When I do that the response is like I'm the one doing something wrong.  When they get irate, which is almost always I just laugh.  I'm convinced it's an addiction.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just cuz I know you guys enjoy this kind of stuff.....besides not all distractions are in your car.  :;):

And concerning the OP, I pull over and stop to use the phone. If it rings, I dont look at it until I am stopped and then call back when I can.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texting and handheld are illegal here in NY, but I see people doing it all the time. Worries me when I'm riding my bicycle.

My new vehicle has integrated blue tooth, which is great. Even with that though, there are times I will not answer because I deem it unsafe.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texting and talking on a phone without bluetooth are both illegal here. Personally, I wouldn't mind if phones automatically were forced to be used on a bluetooth connection over a certain speed (10 mph or something to that effect)

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have often thought about how to make a car incompatible with a cell phone.  Maybe a small compartment where the driver places their phone, coupled with a sensor for weight in a passenger seat, which would then allow for all other phones to be used inside the car, but not the one in the compartment.  If no phone was in the compartment, the car would generate a field that made it impossible to use a phone within the car.  A Cone of Silence, if you will.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking that the phone wouldn't receive calls without the GPS enabled and if it registered speeds over a certain amount, it wouldn't work unless on bluetooth.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 17
PartyTimeAL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After they moralized weed you can now legally drive with your knees.

--------------
Keg Stands Anyone?
 Post Number: 18
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Handheld phone use is prohibited in MD.  I freely admit that I think it's a dumb way to approach the problem.  The distraction is the conversation, not the lack of a second hand on the wheel.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Mar. 07 2014, 9:24 am)
Handheld phone use is prohibited in MD.  I freely admit that I think it's a dumb way to approach the problem.  The distraction is the conversation, not the lack of a second hand on the wheel.

True, the commonplace example I like to use is the habit of people turning down the radio when they start looking for a street address.....
 Post Number: 20
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 07 2014, 9:41 am)

(JimInMD @ Mar. 07 2014, 9:24 am)

True, the commonplace example I like to use is the habit of people turning down the radio when they start looking for a street address.....

Have to agree.  I concluded that listening to a book on tape is not conducive to good driving, either.  Just too much focus on something that isn't the world you're driving through.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, conversely, I missed most of the book's content!
 Post Number: 22
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Mar. 07 2014, 11:22 am)
I have often thought about how to make a car incompatible with a cell phone.  Maybe a small compartment where the driver places their phone, coupled with a sensor for weight in a passenger seat, which would then allow for all other phones to be used inside the car, but not the one in the compartment.  If no phone was in the compartment, the car would generate a field that made it impossible to use a phone within the car.  A Cone of Silence, if you will.  

Brilliant idea!  You could just stick an old phone in there to disable, or something else of similar weight.  Texting while driving is illegal here but they haven't been able to get the phones banned yet.  I'm sure they will keep shoving it until it goes through though.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Traffic: Why We Drive The Way We Do" cites studies from around the world that shows texting while driving is worse than drunk driving (the thought is that the drunk is at least trying to watch  the road while a texter isn't watching at all) and that talking on a phone has an "under the influence" effect.

Mythbusters tested this and proved it is.

--------------

Post Number: 24
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The real problem is lack of enforcement.  Much like a list of other traffic ills that have only gotten worse in the last couple decades.  A reflection on the pathetic ethical state of our current culture where cheating and lying have little social consequence.  Just think how much money cities could make in fines if they took enforcement out of the hands of police and gave it to private companies with a fleet of unmarked vehicles with teams using  video cameras with an incentive of a small slice of the pie for every person they caught in motion driving while playing with their cell phone.  

Same thing in our local urban area for all the solo driving cheats illegally using the car pool lanes.  Yes police are out there every blue moon looking for them in their all too obvious black and whites, but cheats are so aware.  In our culture without enforcement all too many will not obey just like it is with our enthusiasts whining about those who make illegal campfires at high elevations.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 25
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, certain punishment would reduce the offenders, but so far the US has not been willing to invest in such a police state.  Private cops are not needed, only cameras.  Speeding, stop signs, cell usage, HOV lanes, all could be enforced with cameras.  Cheaper and easier.  

--------------

Post Number: 26
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 07 2014, 11:02 am)
"Traffic: Why We Drive The Way We Do" cites studies from around the world that shows texting while driving is worse than drunk driving (the thought is that the drunk is at least trying to watch  the road while a texter isn't watching at all) and that talking on a phone has an "under the influence" effect.

Mythbusters tested this and proved it is.

This is completely wrong. They're not, at all, the same thing.

I can get in my car and drive across the entire state and choose when I'll text, and when I won't (other than the fact that I get such lousy reception it's not worth the bother). A drunk doesn't suddenly sober up when s/he approaches a busy intersection, negate the crossing, then be drunk again.

Texting, on the other hand, I can turn the phone off, I can put it down, I can respond when traffic is clear, etc, etc etc.

Re the comments above about hand held phones … A big part of the distraction is operating the phone. Same thing dealing with that Big Mac from the Drive thru, or the latte, or changing the songs on the iPod, or brushing one's teeth, etc, etc, etc.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 27
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Mar. 07 2014, 2:18 pm)
The real problem is lack of enforcement.

The real problem is that people don't take responsibility for themselves, and that there have to be laws telling people to focus on the road so they don't put themselves or others at risk to begin with.
We don't need laws; we need adults.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can get in my car and drive across the entire state and choose when I'll text, and when I won't (other than the fact that I get such lousy reception it's not worth the bother). A drunk doesn't suddenly sober up when s/he approaches a busy intersection, negate the crossing, then be drunk again.

Texting, on the other hand, I can turn the phone off, I can put it down, I can respond when traffic is clear, etc, etc etc.

The comparison is only when the handheld device is being used and many do use them in traffic.

Think it would have made any difference in the OP video if the guy who pulled out and caused the crash was drunk instead?

If people only used phones when it was safe and clear on the roads then there wouldn't be as much of a problem but they don't.

Read the book.

--------------

Post Number: 29
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Mar. 07 2014, 3:19 pm)

(Dave Senesac @ Mar. 07 2014, 2:18 pm)
The real problem is lack of enforcement.

The real problem is that people don't take responsibility for themselves, and that there have to be laws telling people to focus on the road so they don't put themselves or others at risk to begin with.
We don't need laws; we need adults.

I too wish society could just educate, train, or bring peer pressure on those who cannot be considerate adults.  However unfortunately that is not the current culture and is considerable less than it was when I was growing up.   To have to use coercion is to be avoided if a society can trust individuals with an honor system.  As that is not the case in our current culture, enforcement is the resulting reality for a solution.  And that is sadly going to grate against anyone who idealizes freedom and person rights.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 30
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Mar. 07 2014, 3:04 pm)

The comparison is only when the handheld device is being used and many do use them in traffic.

Think it would have made any difference in the OP video if the guy who pulled out and caused the crash was drunk instead?

If people only used phones when it was safe and clear on the roads then there wouldn't be as much of a problem but they don't.

Read the book.

Agreed .. many DO use them in traffic. But even in traffic one can choose not to respond to a text until they get around the corner, or choose to put the phone down as they cross an intersection, or whatever it may be. Being drunk is being drunk.

Whether someone chooses to do drive responsibly is something that, in general, being drunk inhibits. With texting, being stupid inhibits it.

--------------

63 replies since Mar. 06 2014, 1:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Distracting Driving
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions