2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Carpets of Coreopsis, Spring has sprung!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 5:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year, despite our drought, the desert is blooming.  Thanks to the one great big rainstorm a few weeks back...  One such spot is about 40 miles from home, Saddleback Butte State Park.  I've hiked here twice before, my husband and I climbed the peak 4 years ago on a winter's afternoon, and two years ago we took our 6 week old son on an Easter Sunday jaunt.  On Friday it was just me and my now 2-year-old son and we only hiked about 2 miles but there was much to see!  Pretty much the whole park is carpeted in pretty yellow coreopsis.  Intermingled are some primrose, golden cups, desert dandelions, fiddleneck, pincushion, and linanthus.  It's quite a sight, and oh yes, it smelled wonderful too!  We had a lot of fun exploring and had the place completely to ourselves.  

I've been pollinated!

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mt. Baden Powell and other high peaks in the San Gabriel Mountains

Tuckered out

Here are my previous two visits:

www.tarol.com/saddleback

www.tarol.com/easter

--------------
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mrs. big_load drove through that area on Friday.  She mentioned a big bloom in progress.  I'll have to ask when she returns whether it was these flowers.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of desert dandelion lining the highways all around

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there any poppies out, or globemallow?
 Post Number: 6
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen a few poppies down below in the Inland Empire, none up in the desert.  The poppy reserve apparently hasn't sprung yet, but there are some just west of there.

Haven't seen any globemallow - a few years back there was a good showing of it along Hwy 395 north of 4 Corners.

Theodore Payne Foundation has the best wildflower reports these days - you can google it.  Just found out that there is a Theodore Payne Wildlife Refuge near where I live that's supposed to be a good place to spot flowers and I may go check it out soon.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, yes, I can just hear someone critiquing me now...  My 2-year-old loves flowers and loves to pick them.  I've been trying to teach him not to pick, but to lean down and smell and look instead.  But I figured here there were 50 trazillion of the coreopsis and so I let him pick a few and then we smelled examined them and learned what petals were :)  I was also teaching him how to tip-toe around the plants.

The only part of LNT he really gets at this point in his life is to pick up trash!  We do that all the time and he thinks it's fun.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I crushed some sage leaves last year to smell them better.  Don't tell anybody.
 Post Number: 9
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol, I won't, I love the smell of sage.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice!!

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Mar. 16 2014, 8:53 pm)

Oh my LAWD!!! Did you have a collection permit!?!??

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Mar. 16 2014, 9:21 pm)

(big_load @ Mar. 16 2014, 8:53 pm)

Oh my LAWD!!! Did you have a collection permit!?!??

I also ate some blueberries.  I would have eaten alpine strawberries, too, but was late to the scene of the would-be crime.  I'm only guilty of conspiracy on that one.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are never to be allowed on federal or state lands ever again.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He likes it!  When the desert blooms like that it is so so wonderful.  And yes the fragrance. I envy your visit tarol.   Some years ago during one of the wetter years I did spend some time hiking about western areas of Saddleback making a few images.  This year's Saddleback Butte story is an interesting one because from reports I've seen, the bloom is like a small island within vast areas of little wildflowers.

Two basic requirements for major desert blooms of annuals are a wet winter and a waiting seed crop.    Sometimes desert areas may receive absolute torrential downpours.  But that doesn't guarranty seeing any subsequent wildflowers if there are only a few seeds in the ground.  Thus areas that have in the past bloomed big are the only places such occurs and may occur again. Anyone familiar with those areas will be aware that during regionally wet years there are many areas of wildflowers between Lancaster and Saddleback Butte as one will continually see flowers along the backroads.  Additionally during the one big storm a few weeks ago many areas of the Mojave got significant multi inch rains.  However those places did not suddenly expode with flowers and greenery.  What I think is going on here is similar to what occurred in 2008:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2008/spring_2008_p1.html

During that spring there was generally more regional rain everywhere.  However there was also an incredibly narrow band where wildflowers were especially abundant.  That was from The Orocopia Mountains through the Joshua National Park Cottonwood Bajada, up across the park and out to the Dale Lake area, and north to Amboy Crater.  Driving a few miles east or west of that band showed very few wildflowers at all.   Cottonwood Bajada was simply epic.   My suspicion was sometime in late summer or early fall a big thunderstorm event sourced down in Baja California pushed north-northeastward on a line dropping lots of precipitation in a short time. Rain that was absorbed by dormant seeds and roots below the protective surface waiting for the next spring when any additional precip would be a trigger event.  Those remote areas are essentially devoid of any weather sites so provide little information for climatology data records.  So my speculation is that maybe a thunderstorm also hit Saddleback Butte months ago.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tarol, you won't get criticism about the flower-picking from anyone who has actually HAD a two-year-old.  Teaching LNT was a long, slow process for us.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 16
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pictures, of both flowers and child.

Thanks for the memories.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 17
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually lots of areas are blooming up here in the high desert - this wasn't just an island of bloom.  An island of coreopsis, perhaps, but I think it's a good year for all species of flowers from Barstow, Landers, Apple Valley, Newberry Springs, Devil's Punchbowl, Lancaster, and all points in between.  See the report from Theodore Payne.  

Today was very windy otherwise I would've been out finding more - we'll see how tomorrow is...

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Mar. 17 2014, 7:51 pm)
Actually lots of areas are blooming up here in the high desert - this wasn't just an island of bloom.  An island of coreopsis, perhaps, but I think it's a good year for all species of flowers from Barstow, Landers, Apple Valley, Newberry Springs, Devil's Punchbowl, Lancaster, and all points in between.  See the report from Theodore Payne.  

Today was very windy otherwise I would've been out finding more - we'll see how tomorrow is...

Have any info. on southern Nevada?

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2014, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Mar. 17 2014, 4:51 pm)

Indeed, just looked at the March 14 report that is quite a contrast to the March 7 report.  The earlier report related Death Valley was going to be dismal then suddenly is proclaiming areas east of Jubilee Pass are busting out with all manner of species.  Reads like areas east of Barstow received some nice rains.  Unfortunately large areas of the eastern Mojave have no weather sites and there was probably considerable variation mile to mile.   There really hasn't been any decent rains since 2008 nor really strong rains since 2005 so many areas probably have a considerable seed bed built up.  Shows what even a single storm can do in that situation.  So being able to predict what might occur amounts to doing a long exploratory road tour.  It may not last long given the following dry pattern we are back in so best of luck.

--------------
...David

Post Number: 20
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a bout 600 acres of awesome smelling sagebrush for anyone that wants ALL of it. I'm guessing that with a pulaski one could get it all in one lifetime, but maybe not.

Well done Mom! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 21
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On Tuesday we went north of Lucerne Valley along Hwy 247 - this highway goes over a pass in the Ord Mountains on the way north to Barstow.  The flowers near the pass were quite nice.   Different species - no coreopsis, but tons of Canterbury Bells, mallow, phacelia, cream cups, and goldfields.  A nice surprise were bluedicks blooming in two locations - I don't normally think of them as a desert wildflower!  Between Apple Valley and Lucerne and also north of Lucerne there are carpets of goldfields and desert dandelion.  In the back of my parents' property we saw more dandelion, phacelia, and desert chicory.  Also lots of beavertail cactus poised to bloom at any moment now.  Anyway, I'll post some pics soon!

--------------
 Post Number: 22
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your boy is getting so big! I'm glad you all had fun. Your pictures are amazing!

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
 Post Number: 23
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks :)  Yes he is getting big!  He's almost too tall for the pack.  I brought it along just in case, but he ended up wanting to be in it for the entire hike in and then out, after we explored and sat in the shade of a joshua tree for a little while.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally posted all my pics from Friday on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarol/sets/72157642508297324/

--------------
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hite's Cove along the Merced is blooming as well:
http://www.michaelfrye.com/landsca....poppies
 Post Number: 26
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, Hite's Cove is traditionally a good spot to go

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take a look at this Death Valley NP report on desertusa.com below.   Several weeks ago reports from the staff were surprisingly glum even though I had thought I'd seen storm cells sitting over parts of the park.  What happens though in such an enormous park is that where they have the one weather station at Furnace Creek, doesn't receive much of anything as it is in the rain shadow, while other areas may indeed have gotten reasonable precipitation.  

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html

In like manner on this report, was surprised after the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve received a whopping 3+ inches from the one big storm, that the residents staff including a botanist on another site were still saying that it was too late to make a difference and were not expecting much.  I say that because as an old guy have seen otherwise in the past.  Now they are making a 180 degree turn on that assessment saying mid April might be impressive.

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

In 2006 Carrizo Plain had a modest rain in late February then was rather meager till April 3 when a tropical storm put 2.6 inches in that valley and lots more in the hills.  By late in the month there was quite expansive blooms and was the first time two of us climbed up into Temblor Range where few others had ever ventured into up to that time and it was simply jaw dropping.  Our rainy season still has another couple weeks to go and although Southern California is not likely to see a significant storm event, things are still possible.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_06-Q-11.html

--------------
...David

Post Number: 28
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang, I'm now feeling triply bad that we can't get away to the desert this year.  We'd been consoling ourselves that there weren't any good flowers anyway.  And you guys had to go and ruin that.  I won't tell the DH.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 29
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

beautiful pictures. We live in such a beautiful and varied country.
 Post Number: 30
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup, we will be making a trip towards the Poppy Reserve either next week or the week after :)

--------------
34 replies since Mar. 16 2014, 5:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Carpets of Coreopsis
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions