2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Changes on This Board Over the Years?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 11:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Years back, this board was an interesting board with a lot of enjoyable posts, good trip reports, good advice and lots of intelligent interchange.  I'd have to say over the last couple of years I've noticed a more negative tone to the boards.  Sarcasm, lack of respect to fellow posters, jabs/digs, an unwillingness to keep it civil after disagreeing and and posters not wanting to or able to let things go.  Anyone else notice a more negative flavor to the board?

Respectfully,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really Sven? Kind of sensitive for the self-proclaimed "Provocateur"...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, Brad, just an observation.  RS is not the sensitive type.  Just an observation on one guy's perspective.  Definitely  think the board use to be a more enjoyable place to read, post, and enjoy.

There is a big difference between intelligent and lively discussions and negativity and a lack of class.

Respectfully,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 4
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the 3rd person... interesting.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember extended periods when it was much nastier in TH and the UL forum.  I don't think most people are too negative outside TPA.  On the other hand, some interesting folks post more on Facebook than they do here, and I miss them.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 6:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that is what I miss.  FB took some very good people away from us.  Since I do not do FB, I can't read their input.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 7:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely miss the folks who aren't here much anymore (Nate, Dicentra, eyebp etc.) and also notice the more negative tone.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can remember it getting particularly nasty before presidential elections, which was why TPA was created.  In the past, the negativity in TR was generally due to a few individuals.

I will agree that this forum is not what is once was.  There are probably several reasons for this, gentrification, a decline in people participating in backpacking, and less people interested in hanging out online.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Mar. 22 2014, 11:53 pm)
Years back, this board was an interesting board with a lot of enjoyable posts, good trip reports, good advice and lots of intelligent interchange.  I'd have to say over the last couple of years I've noticed a more negative tone to the boards.  Sarcasm, lack of respect to fellow posters, jabs/digs, an unwillingness to keep it civil after disagreeing and and posters not wanting to or able to let things go.  Anyone else notice a more negative flavor to the board?

Respectfully,

RS

I agree with you, especially with some peoples negative tones.  The number  of trip reports has gone down. People seem to go off on a tangent from the the OPs posts topic. I think some are more worried about the number of posts that they or others have.
 Post Number: 10
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of the heart left this forum when so many of the bright and interesting women wandered off and the tone of the forums in the present gathering is not that welcoming to new contributors.

I know that I have not engaged so many of the new folks as I should have in the last two to three years....and that is what it takes from us oldsters if we still want a community here. Am I going to do anything about it  ???

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 11
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, RangerSven, a personal thanks to you for your having introduced so many important topics in this forum — often with just a link to a news story about wildlife, public lands, conservation and so on. I personally consider those important topics for our consideration, and I'm glad you've taken the initiative to post them. I hope you'll keep doing so.

I do not think the forums have gotten more rancorous over the years. In fact, I think they are less rancorous — partly because the forums are less busy. I joined 8 years ago and did not post in the Trailhead Register for months afterward. I stayed in the regional forums when there were more members from my surrounding area active.

I discovered the forums not long after first getting Internet service in the year 2000 or so. At that time the forums didn't interest me. But it was not the hostility but rather the confusion that alienated me. It was nearly six years later that I joined at the instigation of Lizsbaby, who — with all the voracious instincts of an investigative reporter — was picking my brain for information about the Black Hills and Bighorns. Because I was writing lengthy emails furnishing her with information, I simply decided to post that to the forums for a broader audience.

But I still avoided the Trailhead Register, where the personalities of BearMagnet or ATVtuner (and many others) were often clashing with Prosecutor or Bill_Speers. Talk about acrimony!

I recall fairly well the subsequent battles — often raging, seldom pacific. NatureBoy, BobbyC, and KYVenom had their days. Acliff came and went. And there were plenty of gun threads, dog threads, etc. long after the Political Arena was separated from the Trailhead Register. And oh, for the heyday of the wolf threads!

I'm well aware that some of you "older-timers" can name other battles. The point is that this place has always had its share of antagonism. And I'd guess anyone who thinks the animosity has become worse recently — has simply neglected the reality of the past.

Nature is not a resort of consistent tranquility. Why would open forums pretend to be? In some forgotten corner of a great ecosystem, mountain sheep will still be butting heads with a loud pop, bull elk will be locking horns over the scent of females, mountain lions will kill deer, wolves will take elk, and grizzlies will swat and bite each others' ears over some indecipherable hierarchy. Porcupines donate their quills to some naive attacker. Wasps sting. And ravens mark their adversaries.

But through it all, flowers bloom on a hillside, trees grow tall and majestic, the Northern Lights flicker, and the great peaks of the Rockies stand there daring us to venture forward or compelling us to back away. Let's keep going.

(Oh, and by the way, someone must be watching. Let's hope they'll join in the adventure:)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose there have been changes but I don't think they are particularly negative.  At least not anymore than they have been in the past.  There are always a few posters who are going to attempt to bring out the worst in us all - some of them are quite good at it -but I try, most of the time, to just ignore them.  Nothing wrong with a spirited debate, but no need to get nasty.  While some  posters regretfully leave, there are always new ones who come along  although I've noticed that a  lot of new posters don't stay around very long and that's too bad.  Maybe we should all  make a concerted effort to  be a little more accepting and welcoming.  Can't hurt.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 23 2014, 12:50 pm)
I suppose there have been changes but I don't think they are particularly negative.  At least not anymore than they have been in the past.  There are always a few posters who are going to attempt to bring out the worst in us all - some of them are quite good at it -but I try, most of the time, to just ignore them.  Nothing wrong with a spirited debate, but no need to get nasty.  While some  posters regretfully leave, there are always new ones who come along  although I've noticed that a  lot of new posters don't stay around very long and that's too bad.  Maybe we should all  make a concerted effort to  be a little more accepting and welcoming.  Can't hurt.

Hikerjer,
  I think you are right that we need to be more friendly to the new posters. All to often I see people chastise them for asking a question or posting about some product. Seeing how some have been treated when they only have a few posts it's no wonder they don't respond back to their post or we never hear from them again.
 I say get rid of the number of posts you have over by your avatar. Just because someone has a lot of posts doesn't mean they know a lot about backpacking. It just means they have posted on this site a lot, whether it be under TPA or in Trailhead Register. You could have a couple of thousand posts and not one could have been for something bp related.
Plus someone could have only just come on this site and have very few posts but could be a very knowledgeable backpacker with numerous years of bping but just never got around to posting on here.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing that I real like about this forum is that when I ask a question, I get such a wide variety of answers and opinions. That's all I ask for.  It's up to me to make the final decision on a question and the more info, even when it's contradictory, always helps me and I appreciate anyone who responds in good faith.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya know, Travis, I kind of, in a sort of twisted way, I guess, miss those guys. ???

--------------
 Post Number: 16
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 23 2014, 2:58 pm)
Ya know, Travis, I kind of, in a sort of twisted way, I guess, miss those guys. ???

Yeah, me too.  :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 17
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me three.

I have less to whine about now!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 18
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It all went to hades when it became clear Steve wasn't giving me my pony.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 19
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 23 2014, 7:38 pm)

You could catch a wild one.
 Post Number: 20
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I still enjoy the TR, but used to post a lot more to TPA. IMHO, that forum has become nothing but an echo chamber for the uber-left. If you don't share that particular worldview, you are pilloried and ridiculed. I enjoy a nice debate, but when I was called a despicable bigot, that was a bit of a Rubicon.  Life is too short, as they say. And I get my share of anti-Mormonism from religion boards, don't need to come to a backpacking or even political forum to get snarky comments about what I hold sacred.
I do notice that with a few notable exceptions, most of the internet boards I lurk and post on are also quieter than they were a few years back. I don't know if that is due to Facebook, Twitter, or just declining popularity of internet forums.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 21
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"echo chamber for the uber-left"? Not to be pilloried and ridiculed and make snarky comments, of course.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 22
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:38 pm)

Dont worry, youre still Pinky Pie!

:;):

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If there is any truth to what you are noticing it would just be the recent years before TPA was created.  Generally many Internet boards have shriveled to non-use the last few years in part because of Facebook and Twitter but also due to a pervasive structural issue that those building early web boards bought into as did more importantly the off the shelf forum software that sites implemented.  Something I've debated against occasionly since the early days of the www yet only receiving Duh's in response.

The structural issue is simply too many sub-forums for NEW posts given the amount of traffic on each.  Any board requires a critical mass of active members in any sub-forums else they may become boring that will cause people to go elsewhere. Where if there there are too few peoples viewing even good new threads they are going to die unnoticed.  Instead of actively adjusting numbers of sub-forums on boards depending on use, the status quo strategy of those in control do nothing at all until some boards have a long list of dead weight.  What is usually encouraged at the stage the structure of forums come into being is to create a long list of sub-forum topic names as though that is important for drawing in new members.  Oh look, they have a Nature Forum how cute!  

This board has 23 sub-forums and in that regard is ordinary.   Some of the forums like Gear and TPA are active enough that they are healthy.  But several others are and have ALWAYS been relatively stale.  Some only tend to have interest during limited periods of the year.  Some have modest numbers of total Topics listed however most of whatever use was years ago.  Do we really need a separate Nature Forum for new threads on nature?   When that forum was suggested I was against it for these reasons relating it was something that instead would be of interest here in TR since this is after all an outdoor enthusiast board.    Instead what life there might be in Trailhead Register has yet again been diluted.  The same situation with trip reports with Storytelling, a dead place if there ever was one with a result of removing probably the most important topic for hikers and backpackers, out of sight, out of mind.

So no we don't need a Health and Fitness sub forum for NEW posts.  Despite the above I am NOT suggesting reducing the number of sub-forums to less than the current 23 but rather we might actually INCREASE the number.  The trick is all but less than a half dozen would not allow NEW posts but rather after a thread dropped off the front page of a given forum or a nominal amount of time passed without any response posts, say three weeks, they would be moved to these ARCHIVE forums where members could more easily locate more specific subjects they had interest in.   Thus when people created a thread they would select from a drop down list the forum their thread would eventually move to.  If someone went into an archive forum 7 months later and posted something in one of the dormant threads, it would then pop back to life in the original forum and would stay there as long as it was still be responded to. Another benefit of this type of structure is it would introduce a modest amount of subject matter that otherwise is totally absent in TR because most of us almost never bother to even look what is going on within most of the 23 sub forums.  

Specifically all the Destination forums ought to usually be archive forums unless they are particularly active like a few occasionally are particularly at certain times of year.  That is quite the current situation with the Rocky Mountain forum.  Otherwise why not let them post here in TR so the rest of us can learn what those in other regions are doing?

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 24
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Mar. 23 2014, 3:34 am)
I think that is what I miss.  FB took some very good people away from us.  Since I do not do FB, I can't read their input.  

Truthfully the cause of people exiting the forums was mostly the damn software problems, FB just accelerated the exit. Also, FB is more positive and light hearted, somethjing definitely lacking here now. Of course that is just my opinion.

Except for Deborah, desert dweller, Snowpeak, Jim Fuller and a very few others still around, I have been here longer than most.  I started [posting sometime before 9/11 and have seen an ebb and flow to participation, acrimony/civility, and quality of posts.  I still drop in now and then and sometimes login and comment.

There needs to be a critical mass of participants in order to keep interest and participation high. That is why I think most new members have failed to stick around long.  The main participants are old regulars.

Rumi

PS:  As an aside, I like rangersven and interact with him over on FB.  But a long time ago I stopped replying to most posts which simply left a link with no comment at all or the OP did not actively participate in the discussion. I don't want a newsfeed, I want discussion and if the OP doesn't participate nI won't either.  There are exceptions, but I try to stick to that self imposed rule.  Discussion, not links, is what I am looking for in a forum.

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 25
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it's all rumidude's fault.....whatever happened......ha-haaa.....how ya doin' my friend...LG....

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 26
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lonesomegeorge @ Mar. 23 2014, 8:31 pm)
it's all rumidude's fault.....whatever happened......ha-haaa.....how ya doin' my friend...LG....

I know it's my fault but I just can't help myself most of the time.  Ladyblade tries to curb my rambunctiousness but I'm just too wild to be tamed.  hahahaha

Keep smilin' and I will too.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 27
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The THR got my attention years ago when one (female) poster dropped a C-bomb on Spindle. I have been a regular reader ever since. I assume she is now an amphibian.

For the most part the tone here is civil, IMO.
 Post Number: 28
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Waving.   Still around just not a great deal.

RS is right things have changed, though I think it is more quiet than in the heyday of the forum.  

And I completely agree with Rumi that the software problems were a huge reason so many have left.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you could actually get rid of a bunch of the post topics. Some never get any use and so no one looks in them when there is anything new posted.
 Post Number: 30
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also agree that when (?) the new software is running, a reduction of the number of Forums could help.  'Tis better to have a small number of active, hopping forums than a few active forums scattered among a wasteland of dead topics that no one checks.  All you have to do is look inside the current forums to see where fat could easily be trimmed.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
150 replies since Mar. 22 2014, 11:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Changes on This Board Over the Years?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions