2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Your favorite month of the year< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 10:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Allowing that October in New England is very different than October in Mississippi, what is your favorite month of the year to be outside?  It occurs to me that many people in my area love March and April, but I'm a November fan myself.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get around enough that my favorite times for each place.  November is pretty high on my list for many places.  March or April is my favorite in AZ, July in in CO.
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October because that is apple time ... and I was born in October.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March has always held a special place in my heart.  Cool, crisp October in New Hampshire was fun for the 4 years I experienced that.  August and September for the high country hiking available.  I like all of the seasons, and Winter used to be one of my favorites.  Wyoming Winters cured that.  They just lasted too long.

So, I guess it comes down to March or October.  I'd say, most years it is October.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd have to say either Sept or Oct. As it's cooler to bp then and less bugs then too, plus the leaves are changing color.
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best... April or May. I love watching life explode after a hard winter. Especially the blackflies. :D

Worst... November. Dark, 40 degrees, and rain is not particularly attractive. I swear Guns n Roses' "November Rain" was written after spending a week in November in Upstate NY.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the month of april in the land of Oz(the Ozarks)is the best place and time any one can ever even imagine......

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Generally  I like the  last two weeks of Sept and the first two weeks of Oct.  In winter, it's Feb as that's usually when we have the best snow.  November and March tend to be my least favorite.  Around here they are generally cloudy, windy and dreary.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October.  Everything about it makes me happy.  The colors, smells, fresh crisp air.  The nasty heat of summer and the bugs are gone.

I'm ok with maybe the third week of April too.  But then I find the first tick on me and that's over.

November can die in a fire.  Any other month with wet, 40* weather and that pneumonia-gooey-dampness can go to Hades too.  Like this March.
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used to be the fall for me.  September-October.

Now it's June.  For entirely personal reasons.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite? ???

Any month of winter with deep, cold snow.
Any month of spring with more deep snow.
Any month of summer with green grass.
Any month of autumn with colored leaves,
. . . and with early snow. :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 12
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

September for me - it's my birthday month, but it's mostly the weather here in the Midwest - warm days, cooler nights.  For a while I was taking 2 week road trips out West in September...have gotten away from that but still enjoy camping as much as I can.  October is pretty good, too, but the end can get pretty cold.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 13
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October/November, when the air is crisp and cool, and there's the faint smell of rotting leaves.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 24 2014, 12:49 pm)
October/November, when the air is crisp and cool, and there's the faint smell of rotting leaves.

I'm good with this.  The last two weeks of October into the first two weeks of November are usually pretty nice here in Maryland.  The humidity seems to stick around a little longer every year so I can't really claim October as a favorite any more in it's entirety.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 15
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Colorado - late July/early August because I love the wildfowers that are out.

Late Septmeber to mid-Ocotber (also Colorado) for the crisp fall air, blue fall skies, golden aspen, and elk bugling.

Colorado winter - for snowshoeing

My least favorite time of year in Colorado is spring. The snow gets wet and sticky, plus it is too son for mountain wildflowers.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 16
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the first 2 weeks of September in Colorado (I WILL make it to PG someday). Then returning home to the Outer Banks of NC for October's glorious weather.
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Mar. 24 2014, 11:20 am)
My least favorite time of year in Colorado is spring. The snow gets wet and sticky, plus it is too son for mountain wildflowers.

But that's when the snow melt surges and river paddling is in its prime. :)  Put on a wetsuit and grab a paddle, fun awaits.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Mar. 24 2014, 12:53 pm)
The humidity seems to stick around a little longer every year so I can't really claim October as a favorite any more in it's entirety.

And here I thought you didn't like October because it meant you had to give me a birthday present...

I'm going to claim May here in MD. Mud season is over, heat hasn't arrived, and everything seems alive.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

January, it's about the only month in Houston that isn't hot and humid

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 20
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For doing things with extended family and friends it is December. We just have more time to get together around the holidays

For camping and swimming and rafting in the river with just my husband and I it is August. It would be September for the weather if we were not both teachers

Although this lazy pink glow in my living room window makes March pretty sweet too
In the pink glow on 365 Project

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 21
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

October in the desert Southwest mountains, ... after the rainy season nourishing streams and springs with water, right before the cold fronts of early November and hunting season.  Spring used to be but the weather bounces between 2 extremes anymore (I've been really snowed on over Easter then fire season and closures around Memorial Day).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 22
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like that line from Jeremiah Johnson where he asks his griz skinning buddy if he knows what month it happens to be?
 Post Number: 23
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Mar. 24 2014, 2:09 pm)

The humidity seems to stick around a little longer every year so I can't really claim October as a favorite any more in it's entirety.

And here I thought you didn't like October because it meant you had to give me a birthday present...

I'm going to claim May here in MD. Mud season is over, heat hasn't arrived, and everything seems alive.

Interesting.  My birthday's also in October.  Maybe Jim dislikes October because it makes him think of us.
 Post Number: 24
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Mar. 24 2014, 3:46 pm)

Interesting.  My birthday's also in October.  Maybe Jim dislikes October because it makes him think of us.

Jim only thinks of me in October. You go get a new birthday.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wedding anniversary in my first marriage was October 4th.  Now it's tomas' birthday month too?  Charming...

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 26
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

During my first couple younger adult decades it would have to be July because that is when I did most of my Sierra Nevada backpacking.  However as the scope of my landscape and nature photography broadened, I increasingly found wildflower wonders about lower elevation areas of California during spring especially in the arid southern part of California. As great as world class areas of the Sierra Nevada are in July and August, some of the wildflower experiences that I've had in March and April are visually utterly mind boggling.  Thus from year to year July in the High Sierra is consistently my favorite month.  However during good wet years that happen 2 or 3 times each decade, March or April get me so excited I'm litterly jumping out of my skin before setting out on long road tours.  Places like this in Riverside County are beyond what one can imagine:

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 27
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For here in Colorado/Front Range I like June/July.  I take two weeks in June to tour around and do the family vacation thing and July because most everything is completely accessible for hiking/camping/playing with the RzR.  Really though most any weekend from mid-April through September I can be found "out there" in some fashion.  I stay inside under blankets  the rest of the year.  The older I get the more I hate winter.  Plus, out here in Limon it's too hard to travel around with all the god awful blizzards out here.  If I moved back to The Springs I'd probably take up snow shoeing more seriously.
 Post Number: 28
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Mar. 24 2014, 4:23 pm)

My wedding anniversary in my first marriage was October 4th.  Now it's tomas' birthday month too?  Charming...

You should have noticed that before you married him.  He won't settle for one gift for both, if that's what you were thinking.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was a different man back then...

--------------

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Post Number: 30
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Mar. 24 2014, 11:34 am)

(Woodswoman @ Mar. 24 2014, 11:20 am)
My least favorite time of year in Colorado is spring. The snow gets wet and sticky, plus it is too soon for mountain wildflowers.

But that's when the snow melt surges and river paddling is in its prime. :)  Put on a wetsuit and grab a paddle, fun awaits.

I used to be a kayaker, canoeist, and rafter person. I gave it up after a bad flip in a kayak (busted up my face). Now I am too old and creaky for anything other than easy canoeing in a calm lake  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
40 replies since Mar. 24 2014, 10:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Your favorite month of the year
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions