2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TEOTWAWKI n+1, Animals fleeing Yellowstone caldera?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 5:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3....n-alert

No need in losing sleep over this.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe the astrologer from Jaipur knows what's up...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Apr. 02 2014, 7:18 am)
Maybe the astrologer from Jaipur knows what's up...

They only know about Business problems, love, marriage and how to write multiple spams on a backpacking forum site it seems.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny.
A large number of elk are "missing" because of wolf predation and spring migration to locations remote from roadways and to outside the park.
It's amusing that the article video shows some 30 bison trotting along the road (very common) and calls it running from "something vast and deadly". Bison move on the roads in many places because the roads provide the easiest routes between grazing.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's hard to be a self-styled survivalist unless there is at least one looming disaster about to happen.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whew looks like it's missing Hollywood. I'd hate miss "the Expendables #6".

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Title it "The Conspiracy of the Wolves."

(Oh yeah, and the article was last updated April 1st. Suppose the date is significant?)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The vulcanologists are yawning in response.

I know a couple people who get inappropriately excited over the thought of that baby going boom.  They're the "prepper" sort and pray for something, anything, to legitimize their special brand of crazy.
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the good things about you is that you don't need any such justification for your personal brand of crazy, either for yourself or others.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Animals fled my yard this morning as the ground rumbled beneath their hooves and paws.  I need to do something about that garage door.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 02 2014, 12:46 pm)
One of the good things about you is that you don't need any such justification for your personal brand of crazy, either for yourself or others.

Thanks.

Damn skippy.  Wave that freak flag high and proud.

If you want to hoard 50 gallon vats of Spam for a hypothetical geologic apocalypse which may occur 20k years from now, then by golly you stockpile all the darn Spam cookbooks too!   Pull 'em out at parties!  Give tours of that bunker you've built in the cellar!

Own the crazy. Paint it rainbow glitter.
 Post Number: 12
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoot nah!  Shake your ladders!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Apr. 02 2014, 9:41 am)
I know a couple people who get inappropriately excited over the thought of that baby going boom.  They're the "prepper" sort and pray for something, anything, to legitimize their special brand of crazy.

I do have to wonder just how prepared some of these people think they can be for 1000 mile wide total devastation event and volcanic "winter" that basically wipes out most life on the remainder of the planet...  :laugh:

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LoneWolfe @ Apr. 02 2014, 8:24 am)
It's hard to be a self-styled survivalist unless there is at least one looming disaster about to happen.

So true...

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Equally true... but a lot funnier!

--------------
 Post Number: 16
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Apr. 02 2014, 3:06 pm)
I do have to wonder just how prepared some of these people think they can be for 1000 mile wide total devastation event and volcanic "winter" that basically wipes out most life on the remainder of the planet...  :laugh:

It can be done, I see people do it all the times in Hollywood movies.  So it must be true.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Apr. 02 2014, 5:33 pm)

It can be done, I see people do it all the times in Hollywood movies.  So it must be true.

The key is to start running in the early stages of the explosion, before it gets too far underway.  You also have a fair chance of being thrown clear by the shock wave, but it won't do anything worse to you than change your location.  You can mitigate poison gases with a handkerchief.
 Post Number: 18
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys are just plain silly.  Everyone knows that the only reliable information is on the Chicago internet.

FYI, for minor disasters it helps to leap toward the camera when the fireball explodes behind you.  If you have to land on your side, make sure it isn't the one that has the glass vial of serum in your hip pocket.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

... a single engine small plane pilot who can plop down in the left seat of a massive 4 engine commercial airliner and miraculously not only start the engines in 3 seconds flat but also somehow know how to taxi the thing and get it off the ground on the takeoff roll just before falling into a depthless fissure....

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They're illogically clueless, but it gives them a hobby to waste money on.  And someone needs to buy up all the surplus MREs.  :p
 Post Number: 21
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If a"noted ohio survivalist" goes to the trouble to raise an alarm of clearly impending doom, the least you people could do is take him seriously. I mean, why else would bison run? On the road?!

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 22
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are obviously headed South to visit their kin in AZ.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 6:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NOW I'm worried.

The gummint is denying the possibility.

http://news.yahoo.com/scienti....l7QtDMD

I'll be over here stockpiling.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it supposed to go today?  I'm just curious whether I should bother to pack a lunch for work this morning.  It'd save me the trouble and all.

And a big +1 with TDale.  The fact that the gov't is flat-out denying it is a sure fire sign that we're all pretty screwed.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Thundering herd"??
It was only about 30 animals spread out and trotting over 1/2 mile distance.

I once got to see about 1000 of Turner's bison in a full-on stampede and wondering if the Madison River between us would stop or turn them. That's a thundering herd (and scary as hell...)

--------------

Post Number: 26
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Park officials claim that the video shows bison running back into the park as a part of their normal migration patterns — not out of it.

Jeannie Moos from CNN reporting:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 27
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those bison are rather law abiding. They stayed and traveled on the correct side of the roAd.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Park officials"?   CNN?  The gummint in denial.

We are hosed, folks.

Y'all better hope I have a lot of SPAM in the cabinet.  When you're out of SPAM, long pig is the only alternative.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not an extreme survivalist. It's not like I don't have other reasons for installing a periscope far up through the roof of my house. It's a way to enjoy the view all the way around. The reason for the periscope is really not because I'll need to see above the 30-foot layer of ash that will cover my house. That would be silly.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fleeing bison have not yet reached NJ.  I'm keeping an eye out, though.
32 replies since Apr. 02 2014, 5:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TEOTWAWKI n+1
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions