2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Poppies!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 3:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve was reporting a bloom better than the last several years, so last Tuesday my son and I headed out that direction.  On the way I was amazed at how many flowers were blooming  just in the general desert area.  No one was reporting these locations!  Carpets of huge healthy desert dandelion interspersed with phacelia, verbena, primrose, purple mat, pincushion, and other "prettily flellas" (so says my 2-year-old son).  We stopped to explore them in one particularly good spot, and we saw a huge Red-tail Hawk flying overhead.  Then we continued on to the reserve.  

It was a beautiful bright sunshiney day with no wind - which is important for optimal poppy viewing, because they'll close when it's cold and/or windy.  And because it was a weekday there were only a few other people out and about.  We chatted with a few volunteers at the visitor center, then started hiking the North and South Poppy Loop Trails.  We encountered many large fields of poppies, and the individual flowers were huge and healthy looking :)  And of course happy looking, poppies are happy flowers!  We also saw some lupine, and I loved the purple against the sea of orange.

After our hike at the reserve, we took a drive up towards Lake Hughes, where the Powerhouse Fire had occurred last year.  I had a hunch that in the burn area there might be some good flowers - and I was right :)  But I didn't get many photos, because my son was sleeping in the car and I didn't want to leave him.  Might have to go back this next week...

We then made our way back down towards the reserve, but this time explored some dirt roads to the east.  Here we saw even larger fields of poppies.  And we found a good spot to car camp for the night.  We had a nice relaxing evening and then watched a nice sunset.  In the morning we drove back towards the poppy fields.  Because it was cloudy, they were not open, but were still beautiful.  I was glad we'd driven out the day, before, though, for the better weather and viewing.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a pretty hillside near Lake Hughes bursting with color

And more photos here :)  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tarol/sets/72157643823345915/

--------------
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful pictures. Your son looks so content sleeping in his carrier.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gorgeous!  I am so jealous.

Pfffft on strawberry fields and the tulip factories.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Apr. 12 2014, 4:32 pm)
Beautiful pictures. Your son looks so content sleeping in his carrier.

Most of the time he'll fall asleep in it by the time the hike ends :)  But he's getting big, I don't think he'll fit in it for much longer!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Apr. 12 2014, 4:41 pm)
Gorgeous!  I am so jealous.

Pfffft on strawberry fields and the tulip factories.

Yeah, I'm not much for cultivated flowers...  I don't even like to get flowers, like most girls do.  Unless they're in a pot and I can plant them in my yard ;)

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the photos! You do a great job capturing the "feel." And Little T has the best adventures with you  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sixth picture looks like Nicotiana. I think it's wonderful that your son gets to see such sights from a young age. I hope he becomes a great natural historian. Myself, I started many years too late to ever achieve greatness.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 9
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's fiddleneck Amsinckia - a widespread wildflower in California's high deserts and foothills - and a yucca moth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsinckia

Yeah, the kid fits right along with my flower-finding and other adventures now...  At home he pulls on my hand and tells me that he wants to go look for "flellas"

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is such a delight just seeing the pictures. We have a lot up here too but not in that kind of wide open expanse. More just the median on the highway by the dairy farms and Easter Lily fields.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 11
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you picked the perfect day.  Those poppies look huge.  The flowers in that region have always been the largest and most deeply saturated in the state and likely the source for most of the horticulture populations.   Some nice areas in Antelope Valley but it pains me how after the one whopper storm, weather has returned to bone dry.  If only a single modest storm appeared, likely considerable goldfields would make an appearance and species that have already grown leaves and flowers would put out even more.  Instead those plants will likely remain in the ground as roots however if they are annuals like goldfields it will simply reduce the seed bed for coming years.  If we get the forecast El Nino this winter  of 14/15 with major precipitation again for our desert areas, given the built up seed beds from these dry years, we could see another epic bloom like in 1991.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Goldfields around Apple Valley and Lucerne Valley have been great this spring.  They also bloomed out there last fall!

I am very glad we went the day that we did.  We had originally planned to go Wednesday, but after seeing that clouds would be moving in that day we upped it to Tuesday.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
JOHN/OHIO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WOw! Really nice pics

--------------
                   "Fresh mud on the bottom of your boots is tranquility to the soul and a few steps closer to heaven".
 Post Number: 14
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you John :)

--------------
 Post Number: 15
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty flowers! :)
 Post Number: 16
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes they were pretty - each and every one of them was huge and beauteous!

--------------
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gorgeous!  Where are the flying monkeys?
 Post Number: 18
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:laugh:
 Post Number: 19
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No monkeys

Unless you count my two year old

--------------
18 replies since Apr. 12 2014, 3:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Poppies!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions