2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Now I Remember Why I Hate Moving< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last time I moved was nearly 10 years ago. Somehow I have so much more stuff than I did back then.  :angry: How did THAT happen?

I was sitting there, daydreaming, of back when it was just me and the oldest son - and we moved our life possessions in an SUV.  :laugh: Boy, that was an easy move!

I think the worst has been having to face the black hole of the gear area. There is going to be one heck of a clearing out of it. There is a local Scout troop that may be better outfitted soon!

So glad we are moving less than 2 miles away  :p Meanwhile, I am going to have that fantasy where I drive in my SUV with a few boxes  :laugh:

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only 10 years?

I'm dreading when I have to move. I've been in this house for 21 years, now. I really need to do a stuff-removal event before I retire.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know...only 10 years. We bought this house when Ford was 6 and it was just the 3 of us! Now it is 5 of us and both of us work from home. We sign in just a few days on our new place, and are under contract for this one :)

And I was nice and left our new owners 1/3 of the blueberry plants - so generous of me..lol! (Only because Kirk said I had to leave it looking good. Lol!)

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear ya!  In my 20's and early 30's, I moved just about every year - bigger and better places which I then filled with possessions.  Then I bought a house and lived in it for 3 years.  Just sold the house last month and downsized from 1300 sq feet (plus garage and crawlspace) to 800 sq feet (no garage, no additional storage)

The move itself was exhausting!  And I hired movers :D

On the bright side, I've made about $500 on craigslist so far, and having a big garage sale at my mom's next month!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 5
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we were first married, we moved from one apartment to another with a friends pickup, and in one trip.
Two years later, when we moved to CA, we rented a 14' UHaul.  24 years later when we moved back to UT, we were running a Jeep full of stuff to Goodwill every day for a month. I thought we were being ruthless about getting rid of anything non-essential. We rented a 26' UHaul for the trip and barely got the door closed.
Yes, the detritus of our lives does stack up, and at an alarming pace.
My mother just moved out of her home and into a bedroom with a bath at my brothers home. As she was deciding what would come with her and what would be given away, she reported that she cried for three days straight.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 6
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is hard to give up stuff :( If anything, I am glad to have us shaking up stuff and brushing off the dust if you will - and we will live with our property right on a trail in town :) Very happy about that!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel your pain, sarbar  :D  I just moved the second time in 5 months. The past 1-2 years I have been getting rid of all kinds of stuff. Many trips to Goodwill, giving stuff to friends, sending sentimental family stuff to nieces. I have said many times lately that I want to get back to the days when I could move everything in my car, in one trip. That will never happen again - heck, just my backpacking, hiking, and camping gear alone would take 2-3 trips!

Anyway, enjoy your new home  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey this might help:

http://www.amazon.com/b....ntkicom

You can trade-in certain things you don't want for Amazon credits.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good idea TDale!

The one nice thing about our current place is we have a very active FB page - and if people have stuff they don't want you can post it. One crib gone, one more to go! I am NOT moving those!! Or on sunny days, park stuff outside with "free!!!!" on it ;-) Love, love that!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I moved into my current house only 10 years ago and am amazed at the amount of stuff I have accumulated in that amount of time. I dread having to move it when I move.
 Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moving sucks...

Except when the government pays for the packers and movers - I've done two moves like that and all we had to worry about were plants and cats :)

Anyway, I vowed to never move again, unless it's with the movers.  They'll even unpack, too, but I've never have taken them up on that end of things.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 12
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As far as giving stuff up, I've found it helps to give it to family or friends...

I would've had a much harder time giving away baby clothes, for instance, had I not been giving them to my cute cousin who's about to have her first baby :)  The thought of another cute little boy getting use out of the clothes helped.

Of course, I couldn't give everything away...  But I gave away most of it!

Also, I highly recommend Freecycle - both for giving away, people will come to you to pick it up...  and also getting the occasional goodie.  I got so many cool baby things, clothes, and toys for free!

--------------
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My weakness for books means I haven't been able to move in a  single vehicle since I was about 20.  

We have been in this house for 16 years now, and it's been 9 since we moved all our stuff into one room to rent it out when we were on sabbatical.  We have a stuff problem, for sure.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a house in December and pretty much just got finished moving everything last week. The last two trips were for a yard barn and stuff that I had in storage.  ???
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate, hate, hate moving!  I've lived in the same house for 26 years.  Before that, I lived in nine different places in seven years.  I hope to move only once or twice more in the rest of my life.  My dad moved twice in the last year, which was a painful reminder of how awful it is.
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Apr. 16 2014, 9:17 pm)
I bought a house in December and pretty much just got finished moving everything last week. The last two trips were for a yard barn and stuff that I had in storage.  ???

Congratulations.  You should have called, I could have come and helped.

When do we break in the yard with a bonfire?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Load, I too moved a lot as a kid. Hated it. But, it also made it so I never had a ton of stuff either. And I like having roots. Glad we are in the same town though - doesn't feel weird.

Tarol, no kidding! MOVERS!!!! We are using them for the big stuff and boxes. I am too old to do it myself..lol. Worth the cost!

Rebecca, with blogging I have found I get sent so many books to review. At first I was my old self "Ooh! Books!" but then I knew I couldn't do that - or I'd be buried in cookbooks. Lol! So every few months I give out basically brand new books to my neighbors. I figure I might as well share the love! :D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to have tons of books...  

But, again, it's easier to give them away when you give to appreciative family and friends.  I've given most away, now.  I am down to two small bookcases for favorites, hiking guides, natural history guides, and lots of kids books for my son.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, the kids have way more books now than me! Not a bad thing. Our local library sells donated kids books for 25 cents each year round, on a cart. we often find brand new books! so if one gets ripped up or colored on, no loss.

I donated my trail cookbook collection. It was a one of a kind collection to say the least! But I kept my up to date collection of guide books - and the ones with hidden trails :D

--------------
 Post Number: 20
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They'll have to pry my books out of my cold, dead hands!

And my wife has already volunteered to take on that job.! (I notice she is tracking my temp pretty regular too.)

And I (we)only have around 4,000 books.  

But, no way am I ever moving, someone else has to move these suckers.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just helped my brother move his entire household today.  I think Forrest Gump said it best:

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 22
beemerphill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I was younger, an old guy that I played cards with told me that every family should either move or have a house fire at least once every 5 years. At the time I didn't realize just how wise he was. On our last move, we went from a larger house with a large garage and a large shop to a smaller house with a standard two car garage. It was painful to give away so many "things", but after they were gone it felt good. It is almost like losing unwanted weight.
We have been in this house for about 16 years, and the junk is accumulating, but we are trying to keep some control over it. There are no moves planned for the immediate future, but we didn't forget the last one.
:)  :)  :)
 Post Number: 23
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 16 2014, 9:32 pm)

(cgaphiker @ Apr. 16 2014, 9:17 pm)

Congratulations.  You should have called, I could have come and helped.

When do we break in the yard with a bonfire?

I had a small bonfire later that day. There'll be more.  :D
 Post Number: 24
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to be able to throw all my possessions in the back of a pick-up and go, like many of you apparently.  
Oh lord, no more.  And that is why I will be raising my family in a small house in the DC 'burbs forever.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 25
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes, when you have something that is hard to get rid of, if you take a photo of it, you, in some kind of weird way, still have it.  Of course, this doesn't always work, but it does work sometimes.

I am a continual culler, and I still have a lot of stuff.  Fortunately, most of the furniture in the house is Bill's and that is such a relief to me.  He does have a lot of stuff, but I'll be nagging him soon about all of it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 26
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

His garage awaits him. I got him a fresh supply of empty liquor boxes. Methinks I'll go hiking. I spent all week packing ;-)

Heehee

--------------
 Post Number: 27
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a thread about this, y'all know. :)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 28
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Apr. 19 2014, 12:00 am)
There's a thread about this, y'all know. :)

What-Ever-Daryl-Downer.

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update:

We signed Thursday for our new house, and they are supposed to be fully out tonight - we gave a 3 day lease back so they could finalize their stuff. Tomorrow morning is the start of the move! Tuesday the movers will be here and mid-week is supposed to be nice so I'll be plotting my new gardens out back ;-)

Our current house is under contract, with the inspection coming up soon. We close on its sale in a few weeks (hopefully!).

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has been nine years since my last move.   Another move is not necessary to remind me how much I dislike the process.  

Good luck on your move.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
29 replies since Apr. 16 2014, 3:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Now I Remember Why I Hate Moving
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions