2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Man Kayaks Across Atlantic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article....-Smyrna

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds kind of crazy, but what the heck. I'd guess he muttered a few choice Polish words on the way across.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Six months is a lot of paddling.
 Post Number: 4
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is that Roger?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Apr. 18 2014, 11:43 am)
Is that Roger?

He's not scruffy enough to be Roger.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just read an interesting article about a man who kayaked from California to Hawaii.  This happened years ago.  Whew, quite the tale.  He lived on toothpaste that last three days.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 7
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I also happen to be 67 and I will let others decide who has the title of being the scruffiest. :)

There are a number of famous paddlers.  Freya Hoffmeister completed a circumnavigation of Australia solo and unassisted in 2009.  On August 2011 she started to solo circumnavigate South America.  

Verlen Kruger started paddling at the age of 41 and completed over 100,000 miles before his death.  He was not happy with the commercial canoes available and designed his own expedition canoes and kayaks.  Kruger canoes are still made and are considered the canoe to compare to for expeditions.  Last year I purchased a Kruger Sea Wind.  Now I just wish I had the strength and skills to put it through its paces.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd love to do an extended paddle trip, but I want a lot more varied scenery and dry land on my horizon.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Apr. 20 2014, 5:42 pm)
I'd love to do an extended paddle trip, but I want a lot more varied scenery and dry land on my horizon.

Join Roger and I any cooler season, down here in Florida.  We will go out for 3-14 days, pretty much at the drop of a hat as long as the weather cooperates just a little.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is on my "to do list" Zeke. Maybe you guys should think about coming north this summer. Lake Superior has a certain charm. I'd love to paddle with you guys.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
9 replies since Apr. 18 2014, 10:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Man Kayaks Across Atlantic
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions