2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: He Is Risen!, Happy Easter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Three Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 12:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Easter sunrise service today.  Beautiful weather (usually seems pretty chilly).   Beautiful view of nature during the service.   Ham at the house.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even for those who do not believe, it is hard to argue that the life of Christ was not the most significant event in human history.
For those of us who do believe, the most significant event was his life and resurrection.
And Happy Easter to you, Tree, as well as all the denizens of Backpacker.com. Happy Trails!
"Because of Him" video.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 3
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunny day in the Pacific Northwest, too.  Enjoyed breakfast at a local eatery.  Hope to head out to the Gorge for some day hiking.  Bought a new camera and want to check it out.  As a non-believer I skipped the church service;however,  I know many of you hold this day special.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 4
steelhead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy Easter!  As a believer, it might seem hypocritical that I didn't attend church services for whatever justifiable reasons I have.

In any event, it is dreary and rainy in northern Michigan.  Already took my dog on a nice long walk before the rain and plan on another walk after our glorious Easter dinner of Ham and all of the other fixins!  :)

steelie
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish a Happy Easter to all my Christian Friends that honor the joy of Jesus's story and not the divisive dogma of deceitful men in his name.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy zombie Jesus day!!!
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We always seem to wish each other things like Happy Easter, or Merry Xmas, and no one seems to get too much irritated by the religious tone of the thread.  For some reason, the title of this thread bothers me more than a simple Happy Easter.  In an effort to keep this from going completely TPA, I have edited what I first wrote, and will simply ask that for future such threads, the poster who starts it should refrain from anything that might be construed as proselytizing.  In return, I will try not to let my shorts get too bunched up.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rangersven @ Apr. 20 2014, 10:28 am)
Sunny day in the Pacific Northwest, too.  Enjoyed breakfast at a local eatery.  Hope to head out to the Gorge for some day hiking.  Bought a new camera and want to check it out.  As a non-believer I skipped the church service;however,  I know many of you hold this day special.

Happy Trails,

RS

What sort of camera?

Happy with it?
 Post Number: 9
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Opening the thread is optional, Ol Zeke!  

I am not partaking in Easter or 4/20 today, just a long walk through the skyscraper canyons of Chicago - wearing short sleeves for the first time this year!  Life is Good!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 10
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep...........all is good!

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 11
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 20 2014, 3:28 pm)
We always seem to wish each other things like Happy Easter, or Merry Xmas, and no one seems to get too much irritated by the religious tone of the thread.  For some reason, the title of this thread bothers me more than a simple Happy Easter.  In an effort to keep this from going completely TPA, I have edited what I first wrote, and will simply ask that for future such threads, the poster who starts it should refrain from anything that might be construed as proselytizing.  In return, I will try not to let my shorts get too bunched up.  

"He Is Risen!"

Oh my yes, that phrase is so hurtful..........scheesh!
Sadly, that is either jealousy or fear talk on your part............and, it not be.

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 12
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Apr. 20 2014, 4:00 pm)

"He is risen" is the title.  I don't have to open the thread to be exposed to a violation of the TOS.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 13
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously
I'm thinking this group sounds like they are growing up a bit or the title would have just gone straight to the OC thread

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 14
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FREE THE WEED!!!!

Oh.......wrong day......wait what?

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We all need something to celebrate. For me it's the ephemeral flowers and morel mushrooms.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to church with my parents today.  Must be the first time in 5 years that entering a church was not for a funeral.  Made them very happy.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to church today too. I awoke to birds chirping, then hiked out of Collins Gulf under blue skies. Horsepound Falls was running great and wildflowers were popped out everywhere. With it being Easter, along the way I tried to figure out what I believe these days (it shifts). I don't know that I answered my own question, but it was a glorious day nonetheless.

I once told a friend that I have a better grasp of religion in the lab than in the classroom.  His response was "church is wherever you make it." That's stuck with me.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 18
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy Easter!   No hiking was done but we did sugar up the kids and chase them around the yard.    It wasn't exactly a religious experience.... I have eight kids so the only religious thoughts I have time for these days is my silent prayers hoping they all stay in bed for the night.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 19
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 20 2014, 3:00 pm)

(Firedancer @ Apr. 20 2014, 4:00 pm)

"He is risen" is the title.  I don't have to open the thread to be exposed to a violation of the TOS.  

Wow, seriously?

What religious person beat you up?

Opening a "Happy Easter", "He is Risen" thread and complaining is mighty interesting...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 20
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 1:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone who thinks Three posted this thread for any reason other than proselytizing, hasn't read very many of his posts. I'm just glad he refrained from another dissertation on the horrors of same sex couples in committed relationships. Wonder how long a thread titled "God is Dead" would have lasted over here in the oh so delicate TR section of the forum.
 Post Number: 21
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He is risen indeed!
 Post Number: 22
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first thought (as a person pretty sensitive to non-inclusive religious expressions) is that a Christian posting "He is Risen" on Easter is pretty innocuous. We are not, after all, guaranteed freedom FROM religion in the first amendment.

What's interesting, though, is that I imagine that a completely different crowd might complain about a thread with a title like "Allahu Akbar."
 Post Number: 23
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My problem is not with a violation of the Constitution, but a violation of the TOS of this site.  As stated, the title is obviously proselytizing, and that ******* Three knew it.  If it had been just Happy Easter, I would not have been bothered.  

--------------

Post Number: 24
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gonna do a little proselytizing here, as it seems to be defined in this thread:

I think jello with marshmallows is an abomination.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Apr. 21 2014, 8:15 am)
My problem is not with a violation of the Constitution, but a violation of the TOS of this site.  As stated, the title is obviously proselytizing, and that ******* Three knew it.  If it had been just Happy Easter, I would not have been bothered.  

I understand. I guess I don't agree, though. I know exactly what you mean about Three's posting history--his M.O. is to post inflammatory things in polite language and then accuse others of being inflammatory. And yeah, it's irritating.

But I don't see that here: I don't see "He is Risen!" as inflammatory or proselytizing. It's an affirmation of the central theological tenet of Christianity, on the most important Christian holiday. It's a more theologically specific version of "Happy Easter."
 Post Number: 26
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He rose would be more appropriate. It's not like he comes down to earth every year and puts a bulllet in in his mouth only to magically get back up like the Terminator.
 Post Number: 27
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I think he is risen, and he rose, are comparable but he is rising would imply he was currently rising again.

And yeah, in a lot of churches, "He is Risen" is the "Happy Easter" greeting with the expected response of "he is Risen indeed" being ritual

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 28
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Apr. 21 2014, 9:52 am)
He rose would be more appropriate. It's not like he comes down to earth every year and puts a bulllet in in his mouth only to magically get back up like the Terminator.

That's the Church of the Eternal Nihilist. Funny, they don't even find it useful to attend services. What's the use, right?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 29
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is nothing necessarily "Christian" about Easter or even the idea of a god rising from the dead at this time of year. Easter was a pagan holiday co-opted by the so-called "Church" in order to conquer and subvert the peasants' loyalty to pagan rituals.

Despite the nameless cliché "He is risen" being strongly associated with a nominal "Christianity" today, Easter, the notion of a risen god in springtime, sunrise services, and holiday celebrations are all deeply rooted in paganism centuries before Jesus walked the earth.

Will Durant describing the Greek cult of Dionysus, c. 3rd century B.C. in a chapter on "The Gods of Greece." Dionysus was:
    . . . the most popular, the most difficult to classify, of all the Greek gods. Only late in his career was Dionysus received into Olympus [the mountain of the gods]. In Thrace, which gave him as a Greek gift to Greece, he was the god of liquor brewed from barley, and was known as Sabazius; in Greece he became a god of wine, and nourisher and guardian of the vine; he began as a goddess of fertility, became a god of intoxication, and ended as a son of God dying to save mankind. . . .

Mourning for Dionysus' death, and joyful celebration of his resurrection, formed the basis of a ritual extremely widespread among the Greeks. In springtime, when the vine was bursting into blossom, Greek women went up into the hills to meet the reborn God. For two days they drank without restraint, and like our less religious bacchanalians, considered him witless who would not lose his wits. They marched in wild procession, led by Maenads, or mad women, devoted to Dionysus; they listened tensely to the story they knew so well, of the suffering, death, and resurrection of their god; and as they drank and danced they fell into a frenzy in which all bonds were loosed. The height and center of the ceremony was to seize upon a goat, sometimes a man (seeing in them incarnations of God); to tear the live victim to pieces in commemoration of Dionysus' dismemberment; then to drink the blood and eat the flesh of the sacred communion whereby, as they thought, the god would enter them and possess their souls. In that divine enthusiasm they were convinced that they and the god became one in a mystic and triumphant union; they took his name, called themselves, after one of his titles, Bacchoi, and knew that now they would never die.
- - - - - -
Will Durant, The Life of Greece (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1966), 186-87.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 30
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good post Travis.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
151 replies since Apr. 20 2014, 12:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply He Is Risen!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions