2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Major Life Change, Wife and I are thinking Crazy?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 11:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So everyday I sit in a cube as many of you do, some tolerate it and others appreciate it.  I appreciate that I have a job, with a good work environment (A/C, heat, clean, etc.) and I can help provide for my family.  My wife is in the same boat, however she enjoys her job and I just see mine as a what it is, work.

We've been traveling to Maine for a week for several years to stay in a camp on a lake, we've been to two different ones but they're basically the same.  Simple, in nature, amazing hosts and great surroundings.

We've been talking a lot lately about making the leap of faith and buying a camp of our own and running that during the summer/early fall months as our main career.  Nothing is set in stone, yet, but we're looking and hashing out the detail and it sounds like we have a perfect plan where everything could work, depending on getting the right place.

Of course I can only see the good, and understand the hardships.  This won't be a vacation and nor do I want it to be.  I want it to be fun at times and a growing experience for my young family to grow up in and learn to both enjoy nature and some hard work when they're old enough to really get into it.

We'd be spending out off-season at our normal house so the kids school wouldn't be mess up and we'd take p/t jobs or contract work.  We'd be able to enjoy more freedom that way with watching the kids and their school, etc.

It sounds good on paper and in my mind, we'll see how things pan out, but if it comes to fruition, I'd hope to meet some of you there.

So the bottom line, is it a crazy idea?  Have you ever made a major change?  I know a few people here who have moved miles away from friend's and family, etc., and been very happy and very successful.  I'd like to get your opinions.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it doesn't work out, you can always start over doing something else. I've taken risks several times in my life with job and home and always seem to make it through. Without risk, there is no reward.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll never know until you try it. Go for it.  I suspect it will work out fine although I'm sure there are plenty of challenges running a camp like that. What ever you decide, best of luck.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You usually regret the things you don't do more than the things you do.

Have someone knowledgeable (and without emotional attachment) run the numbers for you.

And keep in mind that when you do something on vacation, it's fun, but sometimes not as much when you do it for a living (fishing comes to mind).
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 30 2014, 10:38 am)

Have someone knowledgeable (and without emotional attachment) run the numbers for you.

And keep in mind that when you do something on vacation, it's fun, but sometimes not as much when you do it for a living (fishing comes to mind).

Great advice right there.  +1 to each point.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 30 2014, 12:23 pm)
You'll never know until you try it. Go for it.  I suspect it will work out fine although I'm sure there are plenty of challenges running a camp like that. What ever you decide, best of luck.

I agree with the challenges.  I know it's hard work, I have no fantasies of it being easy or not problematic.  I just know that those problems should be not the norm.  I'm a people person, I like so many outdoorsy things and I love working on projects and with tools.  Like you said, if it doesn't work, there should be something else to try Tigger.  But with a family to care for, it's worrisome.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 7
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who's that one guy who said, "I'd rather have a lifetime of oh wells than what ifs"

Other than that I got nothin'
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Apr. 30 2014, 12:38 pm)

I agree 100% with the exception of the last comment.  People say if you do something you love you'll never have a bad day at work, right?  Not to mention I think of people who are photographers, even if part time or maybe a shoot they don't like doing, they still love the art of photography.  And a personal example, my older brother, who is the most PITA analretentive person going, owns a guide service in south jersey where he takes people fishing almost every day of the summer and every chance he gets when it's the off season and the weather is good.  Not to mention when he goes by himself.  He's never hated a day.  Never once.  He has very specific rules for people who come on his boat, the things that would annoy him, he makes sure they know the rules and they either come or don't.  He's never had an issue and I hope he never does.

That being said, I can see your point.  When the heart of the job is wearing on you more than any enjoyment you can get from it, that's a problem.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lambeaver said everything I could have thought of, better than I could have said it. Every word weighs a pound.

Sooo, I don't have anything to add, but do have a question... where are you living now?

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pennsyltucky.

Why do you ask?

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Apr. 30 2014, 11:39 am)
Pennsyltucky.

Why do you ask?

We'd be spending out off-season at our normal house so the kids school wouldn't be mess up and we'd take p/t jobs or contract work.  We'd be able to enjoy more freedom that way with watching the kids and their school, etc.

Visiting Maine is one thing, living there is another. Not everyone can make the adjustment. Just a cautionary note.

Would also add, not sure how working Maine Summer AND Fall won't mess up your kids school in PA? I would also seriously question whether even attempting both places with school age kids is doable.

That's the biggest red-flag I see in your thinking.

My .02

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a fellow cube dweller who may never have the ability to say "f*ck it" and walk away from corporate life, I think it sounds awesome!  

The biggest drawback I can think of would be really limiting your own time off - I hear that from a lot of business owners, it's not like you get paid vacation, business stops.  However, it sounds like this would be seasonal and you'd have down time in the off season to sneak away.

I have seen what LB describes, though.  A friend of mine became a kayak outfitter/instructor and she never really seemed happy - financially, she had to get a roommate (she was in her 40's) and it just seemed like kayaking as a job was not as much fun as kayaking for fun...still beats a day in a cube, though, I'm sure!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FF77, I can't seem to send you a PM, but I do know of a topnotch, well run, financially solid wilderness resort in Utah, that has been for sale, and may be again if the right buyers showed up with financing.

Here is the website for you to take a look at, and if you have real interest PM me and I will provide you with direct information.  I am not involved in the operation personally, but I love the place, the hiking and the fishing.

It is a very, very tough business, and will be much harder than your corporate gig.  But, it can also be much more rewarding, with the people, the setting, and the potential for financial gains.

The property line of this little resort is also the property line of the Uintah Wilderness!

http://www.moonlakeresort.com/index.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WWWest, thanks for the link, the location is wrong for us... right now.  I will check it out though.

The kids would be in school in PA, my wife would leave early to get them home for school and I'd have part-time help up there.  And I'd go up first to get started in the season.

Right, the off-season is our time, and (from my experience) not ever week is rented, even though that's the point, the ones that don't get taken, are going to be a toss up of our time and repair time.

I'd like to know more about the 'living in Maine' part Brad.  Are you referring to people or way of life or both?

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Apr. 30 2014, 12:26 pm)
WWWest, thanks for the link, the location is wrong for us... right now.  I will check it out though.

The kids would be in school in PA, my wife would leave early to get them home for school and I'd have part-time help up there.  And I'd go up first to get started in the season.

Right, the off-season is our time, and (from my experience) not ever week is rented, even though that's the point, the ones that don't get taken, are going to be a toss up of our time and repair time.

I'd like to know more about the 'living in Maine' part Brad.  Are you referring to people or way of life or both?

Maine culture is, well, different.

Many Maine communities can be absolutely wonderful, and one valley over, can be mean, bitter, small minded, spiteful, resentful of out-of-staters, etc.

You need to pick carefully. There are a lot of "Maine's" and not all locals will welcome someone coming to their state to make a living part time, while not living there.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a bit concerned about the 'out of stater' part.  I have never met a mean Maine person but I can totally see what you mean.

Are you from Maine?

Is it worth not taking the risk?

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have visited, and vacationed in Maine, and our family owned property there since 1973. My Father is a Maine resident, though he only lives there a bit over 6mos a year.

Maine is beautiful, but can be culturally challenging for someone used to a more urban way of living.

Not saying don't follow your dream... not at all! Kicking someone's dream is an absolute zero. Heck, I packed up my young family 17 years ago and moved to Montana for essentially the same reasons you cite for your move.

Just saying go into it with your eyes wide open and ask a LOT of questions (which you're obviously fully capable of doing).

I wish you well in your decision...

--------------
 Post Number: 18
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Use your brain first to calculate out the risk/rewards ... then go with your gut!

My wife & I are quitting our jobs (very good paying jobs)next February at age 50 to basically retire. Our plan is to hike the AT starting March 1st next year, and then enjoy the outdoor life here in BC afterwards fulltime. The brain has already calculated that we can afford to quit our jobs at age 50 - and the gut certainly is telling us that we're not getting any younger, and your 50's is pretty much the now or never time of your life for major outdoor pursuits.

That's all I got for advice ... brain first and gut second, but make sure your brain is good with numbers!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brad, I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.  I'm not discounting them.

I know that I cannot forsee living my working career the same way for the rest of my life, my wife, thank god, is on the same boat.

There are tons of challenges on our plate to accomplish this goal.  I think of days like today here, it's pouring, been pouring all day, I have the choice to not work on my house in this mess, but there, I would need to tend to any and all issues regardless of weather or those gawd awful black flies.  It's having a purpose in life that I think is the most important part of this change, working for ourselves, on our own terms, in a place that we truly love.  I just hope it all works out, close, to the way I envision it.

BC Pete, I envy you... not cause your 50, haha, but because you can do what you want to do and have a dream and are planning on doing it.

When I was in my mid-twenties, I moved to the shore, lived with my brother, dropped 70 pounds and got into shape.  Had a pretty job in a place I loved, however I never made friend's (which is rare for me).  I was just working to work.  I later found out about these boards and have kicked myself for not meeting and going on some of the trips with the people here.  I hope I do not make any more of those, "Wish I did that", decisions.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Relocating to small town New England primer.
Five years to be a townie (in-state emigrant)
Ten years to be a townie (out-of-state emigrant).
Must endure black fly season.
Your kids will develop a strong regional accent.
Wardrobe by L.L. Bean.
Other than that, all systems go!

It's a nice place!
 Post Number: 21
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have made many moves over my career, most of them were for the same job just a different part of the country.  I enjoyed each of them, but some more than others.

I will second (3rd, 4th) having someone look over the numbers.  Your banker may do it for free, or a good CPA will do it for you also, but be prepared to pay $$.  Having someone else sit down with the numbers and be able to tell you what income should be reasonable to expect, is an eye opening experience.  I have a good friend who invested all of her retirement funds into a B & B, only to have it be much more work for her once the tourism died down after 2001.  By the time it began to pick back up, she was old enough that she just wanted out.

You are young enough to recover from a bad happenstance.  I hope you don't need to.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 22
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FF77, while the good advice about analyzing the numbers with a steelie eyed skeptic is absolutely essential, I happen to think that your personal understanding of the lifestyle, the work and the commitment required to survive at this business is even more important.

To me your intent not to live in the area, and to need Pennsylvania for your schools is a big warning signal.  There are much greater personal demands than that, needed for success.

Is there any possibility that you could take a summer season and work as a resident manager at the kind of camp and in the area you hope to locate??

Lots of these places are desperate for competent management employees and after putting in a season on the ground you would have a much better idea what your decision entails, plus a lot more information about financial needs and methods.  

And, you would know more about how your family can adjust to the lifestyle.

Vacationing in the wilderness is nothing like living and working in the wilderness.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wwwest, that is going to be part of the plan.  When we get more, serious, and get the numbers and get the facts (as much as we can gather), we're going to take some time to do just that, be at a place and do the actual work.

The place we visited first, they were new to the business and lifestyle of owning a camp, they're Mainers by birth so they definiately have that on me, but they were virgins to the experience and now have made it perfect for their life's.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing I meant to add is the reason for schooling in PA.  My stepdaughters father lives here, she goes to school here and will soon be going away to college so we're not about to disrupt her life.  The kids we have together are not in school as of yet, but one will be next year.  The main reason for the back and forth is for family and to be honest the weather.  I love snow, my wife tolerates it to some point.  She wouldn't be happy through a Maine winter and I think I'd only be able to tolerate it for a few seasons, maybe you become used to it.  Like others have said, you can try it out and if it doesn't work, you can try something else out.  I'm at the point in my life where I'm running out of options and time to do something big like this.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Apr. 30 2014, 2:36 pm)
I am a bit concerned about the 'out of stater' part.  I have never met a mean Maine person but I can totally see what you mean.

Are you from Maine?

Is it worth not taking the risk?

I live in Maine.  Moved from South Florida, the sh&thole.  I can, perhaps shed some light for you.  Pm me if you like.  Maine is an incredible state and the people are down to earth and nice.  I don't have to lock anything.  

John

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 26
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't read any of the other responses...

The craziest of ideas can also be the most rewarding in life.

I've made a lot of huge life changes, and I/we aren't finished in that area. Things are working out pretty well.

I would offer, take your time in making your decisions. You have a lot more at stake (ie. your family). It's good to come up with a plan and then speak with someone to see what it would take to make those dreams come true.

Good luck to you both. :)
 Post Number: 27
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know way to many people who stayed in a job they hated because of the great retirement benefits, then they died before retirement.

Last week the 47 year old wife of a friend died 3 days after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Live life in a way that you won't regret death.
 Post Number: 28
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 29
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Apr. 30 2014, 2:05 pm)
FF77, I can't seem to send you a PM, but I do know of a topnotch, well run, financially solid wilderness resort in Utah, that has been for sale, and may be again if the right buyers showed up with financing.

Here is the website for you to take a look at, and if you have real interest PM me and I will provide you with direct information.  I am not involved in the operation personally, but I love the place, the hiking and the fishing.

It is a very, very tough business, and will be much harder than your corporate gig.  But, it can also be much more rewarding, with the people, the setting, and the potential for financial gains.

The property line of this little resort is also the property line of the Uintah Wilderness!

http://www.moonlakeresort.com/index.html

Running a camp may be a lot less "outdoorsy" than it sounds on paper, IMO. You will spend a lot of time hiring, managing, planning, cooking, counting, paying, and dealing with issues. My understanding is that the cost of insurance can be crippling, it's tough to find good seasonal employees, and you are subject to the vagaries of the consumer economy.

Not trying to paint a dim view, but you might consider options that can get you outdoors without being responsible for managing the recreational lives of others.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 30
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 30 2014, 7:17 pm)
Good luck!

+ a jillion

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
41 replies since Apr. 30 2014, 11:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Major Life Change
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions