2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Help Me Pick a Name :: Total Votes:12
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Intensity Personal Training Tagline: Power and Strength. For the Mind and Body. 1  [8.33%]
Integrity Personal Training Tagline: Total Body Fitness 0  [0.00%]
Show Me Fitness 1  [8.33%]
Warrior Fitness and Personal Training 2  [16.67%]
Full Spectrum Personal Training 5  [41.67%]
Total Body Personal Training 3  [25.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help Me Pick a Name< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mocamper1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:45 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Help me find a name for my personal training business.  If you have any suggestions, feel free to add them. I want to address fitness with my clients in a holistic way focusing not only on the body but on the mind too.  I want a name that is dynamic and catchy. Which name would make you want to use the service?

--------------
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I avoid health clubs and classes with Warrior in the title, as it just tells me the Testosterone will be too high for what I want from a health club.  It runs off some business.  That said, I also would not be signing up for a trainer to lead me through workouts, like Basic Training, or kettle bells.  Not my cup of tea.

Mind and body training is something that attracted me to martial arts at a younger age, karate specifically.  Knowing mental discipline would be part of the training was a big enticement.  Maybe you could take advantage of something like that with a play off a book title:  Zen and the Art of Full Spectrum Body Fitness.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unless you are a warrior and training people to fight and kill, I'd avoid that word.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

iTrain.
 Post Number: 5
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mossy @ May 07 2014, 11:05 am)
iTrain.

^ Tagline, intelligent training for body and mind

Although with the lower case i you might run into some copywrite issues... I-train perhaps?

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call it "The Academy".  For the muscle heads, it connotes police basic training.  For the book worms, you become Plato.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call it Couch Potato. I'd go...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ May 07 2014, 11:26 am)

Only if you could get up off the couch.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ May 07 2014, 11:00 am)
Unless you are a warrior and training people to fight and kill, I'd avoid that word.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking along the lines of the "spartan" craze and the general military-proud feeling in the public nowadays. I am in the National Guard, and I would want to be helping my fellow guardsmen stay fit and ready.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MBS Fitness
Tagline: Personal Training for the Mind • Body • Spirit

ETA:   Scratch that---looks like MBS Fitness already exists---San Antonio.

Of the list you have, Full Spectrum is the only one that I'd consider a possibility.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm pretty much with Zeke.  I like the suggestions from Mossy and RR.  I'm not a person who would use a personal trainer in any case, but I think if you want to work on both the mind and the body side of things, your name should clearly reflect that.  It will put some people off--but will attract the people who want what you want to offer.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As someone who does marketing for a real job, I'd suggest that you ask only those people who are interested in a fitness club or workout center to answer your poll.

Otherwise, you are going to get pretty meaningless data.  It doesn't matter what the other people think...and those are the ones who are filling out your poll!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 07 2014, 8:32 am)

(Tigger @ May 07 2014, 11:26 am)

Only if you could get up off the couch.  

I was hoping it would be an online class....

--------------
 Post Number: 14
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Full Spectrum Personal Training" sounds good, and it also describes the focus you want.

It also is already taken. =/

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 15
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Total Mind/Body Epic Awesomeness

Here's a pic to include in your advertising

Post Number: 16
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who is your target clientele?  That will have a lot to do with what name you pick.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pgunnz @ May 07 2014, 9:41 am)
Who is your target clientele?  That will have a lot to do with what name you pick.

I already brought up the couch potato idea...

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 07 2014, 12:34 pm)
"Full Spectrum Personal Training" sounds good, and it also describes the focus you want.

It also is already taken. =/

Indeed it is. I should have done a Google search before.  But it's in North Carolina, and I'm in Missouri.  The idea for the name came from "Full Spectrum Operations" from Army doctrine manuals.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ May 07 2014, 11:22 am)

(mossy @ May 07 2014, 11:05 am)
iTrain.

^ Tagline, intelligent training for body and mind

Although with the lower case i you might run into some copywrite issues... I-train perhaps?

I like the tagline.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ May 07 2014, 12:25 pm)
As someone who does marketing for a real job, I'd suggest that you ask only those people who are interested in a fitness club or workout center to answer your poll.

Otherwise, you are going to get pretty meaningless data.  It doesn't matter what the other people think...and those are the ones who are filling out your poll!

Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind.

As for marketing goes, what is a good marketing strategy for a personal training business.  At this point I would take anyone who wanted training. I wouldn't focus on any specific group yet.

In my town of about 8,800 people there is a large YMCA with a brand new facility (but notoriously crowded after 4:30 PM, a Curves gym,  and a privately owned gym called Gym Rat Fitness that I don't know much about.

The population is about 20% latino the rest WASP. There is a large computer company that is a big employer that pays very well.  It's not an affluent town by any means, but it certainly isn't poor. It is in SW Missouri so there are a lot of fat people around, but there is a quiet fitness community too.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Complete conditioning with targeted training.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would recommend going around to competitors and look to see who your main target should be based upon the type of individual that goes and market specifically to them.

As an example, I determined that small businesses and home users were overwhelmingly in need of computer help in my current town. I focused all of my marketing specifically targeting these individuals. Everything from my business cards, my website, introductory speech, and logo all "scream" personalized service for your home or small business. I have since dropped all advertising short of my business cards and website. The only advertisement I use anymore is broadcast from the non-profits that I support and they do it for free.

Don't be generic unless that is really what is selling. It's good to at least look like you stand out even if you're really just selling the same thing as someone next door. Being a "friend" will ensure repeat business.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

7 minute Zen
Beef Cake
Karmaroids
 Post Number: 24
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mocamper1 @ May 07 2014, 11:57 am)

At this point I would take anyone who wanted training. I wouldn't focus on any specific group yet.

So if you are going to target everyone who is looking for training I would keep it simple and something that just implies personal training not any specific type of training.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 25
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fully Operational Readiness Training

Full Attitude Readiness Training

iMaLumberjack

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 26
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ May 08 2014, 7:30 pm)
iMaLumberjack

Tagline: And iM ok

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 27
JimmyC Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Train Track

Lionel Training

--------------

Trolls need love too...........
 Post Number: 28
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2014, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just every fitness place I hear of seems to always be doing a boot camp. I don't know if that means you should jump on the band wagon or avoid it but it is everywhere.
And the most successful place here has a kids program beside the facilities for their parents

If you want to introduce yourself and test the market response to you a short summer camp program might be good

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
27 replies since May 07 2014, 10:45 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help Me Pick a Name
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions