2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Farley Mowat has passed away< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 9:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was 92. Don’t have a link for you, but many of you probably know who he is in any case.

For those who do not know who he is, I recommend you pick up one of his books … any would be fine, but if you have to start somewhere, “Never Cry Wolf” is a great place to start.

Gone but not forgotten

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually like his auto-biographical books like "Owls in the Family" the best, but he, but he was a great writer who influenced my thinking and world view over many years.

RIP

What was the name of the book about the homemade boat?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 3
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just saw this.  So long Farley.  I loved the movie "Never Cry Wolf" and his "owls in the Family" is on my list, along with several others.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We all go.  I loved the couple of his books that I read.  He seems to have lived a long and full life, I'll just raise a drink to him and smile.  :)  Fare thee well.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He was a great writer and a fascinating person.  He stretched the truth here and there and wasn't above ruffling feathers for mere sport, but he went places that few people get to see and he endured withering criticism for raising unpopular issues like the depletion of non-human life from sea, sky, and land.
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another  great friend of the environment and the wild has left us.  Although I agree with Big Load about him stretching the truth a bit and going a little too far, he still brought attention to the environment that was needed.  Never Cry Wolf, A Whale for the Killing and People of the Deer are all books well worth reading.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 08 2014, 7:50 am)

The Boat Who Wouldn't Float

:D

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 8
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A visionary in the environmental movement.  Mowat brought a sense of awareness through his many books.  Quite the prolific writer.  Had anyone watched Finding Farley?

https://www.nfb.ca/film/finding_farley/

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

R.I.P., Mr. Mowat.

His books will always be around for future generations to read. I especially like "Never Cry Wolf" and the subsequent movie.

Here's a link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014....l?_r=0#

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ May 08 2014, 1:17 pm)
R.I.P., Mr. Mowat.

His books will always be around for future generations to read. I especially like "Never Cry Wolf" and the subsequent movie.

Here's a link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014....l?_r=0#

Ya, it was a good movie. Might have to watch it again.  Been awhile.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first book of his I read was Lost in the Barrens, led to my brother and I trying to build a cabin and live off the land, I think we lasted about 4 hours before we needed a PB&J.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ May 08 2014, 11:55 am)

(wwwest @ May 08 2014, 7:50 am)

The Boat Who Wouldn't Float

:D

One of the funniest books ever.  Who cares how much of it is true?

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was all true in human attitude!

He kind of mixed prose and poetry, with a fairly large slice of poetic license, and I loved every bit of it.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Snow Walker is available for free on Hulu. I loved the film which was taken from a mix of some of the short stories in the book.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 15
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had no idea who he was or what he did, but I just watched a really cool video with him in it, pretty neat guy.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 16
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ May 09 2014, 3:09 pm)
I had no idea who he was or what he did, but I just watched a really cool video with him in it, pretty neat guy.

He was banned from the USA for a time, possibly with less justification than Rob Ford.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, he was the target of a political witchhunt in Canada due to exposing the inhumane treatment, and mini genocide, of Canadian aborigines.

But he came out on top of all those exchanges!  A real populist hero, and a very talented writer.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
16 replies since May 08 2014, 9:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Farley Mowat has passed away
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions