2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How old are you?, Sins of my youth.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turned 65 last December and for the first time in my life, I'm really feeling my age.  I get tired much easier and my legs are hurting me, especially my knees, like never before. This morning my two mile walk with the dog really hurt. To the point it wasn't enjoyable.  I suppose that just comes with old age and a lifetime of abusing your body with too many bumps on the ski hills , too much biking big hills and too much boulder hopping in the mountains.  Sins of my youth, I suppose.  Anyway, it got me to thinking, while I don't think I'm the oldest on these boards, I'm think I'm close. I'm wondering who is and who is the youngest.  If you don't mind, chime in with your age and comments.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 103...Born right before rocks and water were invented.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 09 2014, 10:06 am)
I turned 65 last December and for the first time in my life, I'm really feeling my age.  I get tired much easier and my legs are hurting me, especially my knees, like never before..

Time for some different physical activities and maybe ultralight gear if no real snow is in the picture.  Age is one thing but also your own bodies particulars are going to be amplified.  My own age?  About the same as the bands of my 20's (Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc...) ... yikes, just yikes.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am 62.5, and Roger is older than you.

I hike slower, with less boulder hopping. I haven't done any XC skiing in 25 years, so there is that knee saving experience.  I stopped playing competitive racquetball at age 53, to save my back and knees for backpacking trips. I took up kayaking to be able to use my camping gear more, and see more stuff during the Winter.  I recently took up road biking to increase my leg strength for hills with a pack on.  4 years ago, I took up Yoga to improve my balance and my ability to stretch.

I feel good, except for those 3 times a year I don't.  Never quite know what brings on the stiff back, but exercise seems to help keep it at bay.

Tigger could be your son.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 09 2014, 9:18 am)
I am 62.5, and Roger is older than you.

I hike slower, with less boulder hopping. I haven't done any XC skiing in 25 years, so there is that knee saving experience.  I stopped playing competitive racquetball at age 53, to save my back and knees for backpacking trips. I took up kayaking to be able to use my camping gear more, and see more stuff during the Winter.  I recently took up road biking to increase my leg strength for hills with a pack on.  4 years ago, I took up Yoga to improve my balance and my ability to stretch.

I feel good, except for those 3 times a year I don't.  Never quite know what brings on the stiff back, but exercise seems to help keep it at bay.

Tigger could be your son.

....I'll let my mother know.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should be old enough to know better...
but I took a digger on mountain bike a couple of days ago and managed to break a couple ribs.
 Post Number: 7
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 39 with Cystic Fibrosis..  I'm pleased as sh%T to still be breathing...  So everyday is a good day even if my career killed my soul....lol
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

34 and completely invincible.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Old enough to know better and old enough not to care  :D

I'm just a tad over 59. I have back issues from an injury many years ago. Have had one back surgery, and will probably have another one next winter. And yeah, my knees hurt more often than not. I am slower when hiking and groan a lot, but I'm still plodding along and enjoy every minute of it.

FYI - Ibuprofen is my friend these days  :laugh:

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 10
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

61.5833 Currently
I was doing fine until 60 … suddenly, by hips decided they were going to display degenerative joint disease (cartilage loss).  
It came on very rapidly.  

Put an end to my backpacking and now my hiking is limited to 30 minute dog walks…max
It totally sux.  The one thing I really enjoyed doing has been taken away from me
Well, I suppose there is still one thing I enjoy that I can still do … but this is a family site …

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 11
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

63.  Neck, knees and hips hurt.  All of them from various sports injuries.  Mind is still good except I'll forget certain common vocabulary words on occasion, but as long as I'm an expert with map and compass, I'll be fine.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 12
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ May 09 2014, 1:08 pm)

Wish I was...  I'm completely "vincible"...lol
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A little over 61. Old enough to stop the young chicks from whistling at me. Young enough to get carded at the senior citizens' center.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ May 09 2014, 11:41 am)

Wish I was...  I'm completely "vincible"...lol

There was certainly more than a little tongue-in-cheek with my response.  I'm very aware of my limitations, and seeing my dad degenerate to where he is today (5-7 years now of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and mercury-induced nerve poisoning, he likely has a year left in him) has made me very aware of the mortality of us all.  He was bigger than life to me when I was growing up.

Still though, I'm going strong all things considered.  Counting myself lucky thusfar.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got back from new Mexico a little over a week ago.
I went out to Section Hike the CDT from the Southern Terminus up to Cumbres Pass in CO.
Didn't make it.  I had problems in the heat south of
Lordsburg.   Had to hitch out and recuperate.
Then we flipped up to Silver City and hiked up the Trail
to Snow Lake and called it a hike there.
So I only managed to get in about 145 miles out of the
650 miles we had planned.
But I'm satisfied with it.  Aside from the heat problems
I took 6 Ibuprofens a day.  I called them my LifeSavers.
2 at breakfast, 2 just before Lunch and the last 2 about
3 in the afternoon.   For Back pain.  Just under my right
shoulder blade every time.
I think I need to ask my Dr. about that.
I didn't go on this trip cold. I had Dr. appointments
advising her what I planned and also had a Stress Test
to confirm that the heart was still OK.

Larry
 Post Number: 16
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I'm nearly old enough to receive full Social Security too but will leave exact age out of public view haha.   And yes I have increasingly been feeling the age coming on.  So will talk honestly a bit about my aging here since am not afraid to do so publicly.  Something to scare others.

There are three ways to divide up aging.  First that which is on the outside of each of our bodies that we and others can see, especially our face and exposed skin.  Second that which is on the inside that we can feel in part but for which much are unknowns liable to surprise us with unpleasant news and disaster unpredictably at any time.  And third how we can physically and mentally perform.

Well my face and skin are likely in the top 2% of others my age for whatever probably genetics.  Never smoked nor drank much alcohol nor been overweight thus never stretched my skin. Look younger than numbers of others that are just turning 50.   On the outside I've still got mostly brown hair up top rather than gray though my hair is definitely thinning and for some reason that has not changed much in the last 15 years.  Some of the knuckles in both hand fingers have arthritis  with enlarged nodes and bent just like my Mom got at this stage of her life.  One's hands and fingers are extremely important for well being but so far impact is modest.   Teeth have a lot of silver in them though are hard, some missing, but likely to last.  The shape of the body of many men really changes as they get into middle age.  For whatever reason my body shape has never changed much staying like a youth though torso has modestly more weight.  So not all of us are condemned to look like most hunching bellied old men.  Reading glasses hang around my neck on keepers everywhere and they are all over my house.  And use prescription glasses for driving or distant sight though can legally drive with them.  Being too close to large speakers blaring rock music too many times during my twentysomething years has left a permanent background sound of ocean surf in my head.  And though my mind is relatively exceptional in some ways, I notice definite changes like the classic having difficulty remember names.  And stuffing my brain with new learning does not seem to last as long as though it has become a FIFO.

I recently went 7 years catching just ONE head cold virus but then the last two years have caught 2 colds each winter. No influenza for decades much less any other ailments.  But was down with shingles for 6 weeks over the holidays that was rather painful.  Have a decades old serious internal injury maybe spleen or pancreas, that have always feared could be the death of me at any time and feel slight pain from every day of my life just letting me know it is never going away.  Just know how to cope with that and believe in and pray to an almighty being.  

Currently am not in the best of shape which is usual for me at this time of year because never regularly work out during cold rainy months of the year other than some skiing and hiking on weekends.   But have been out carrying my camera gear hiking through landscapes on many weekends often offtrails where one needs to be coordinated.  Last weekend climbed up the John Muir 1500 feet vertical over 3.1 miles carrying 18 pounds in 104 minutes then continued on another 900 feet.  Did not feel very lively the rest of the day after pounding back down but the next day felt ok.  And last year carried nearly 70 pounds up and over Sawtooth Pass about 3600 feet vertical.  Then this severely droughty winter only got 4 days skiing in but was quickly ripping through moguls like few others mainly because it is so embedded in my muscle brain. And can swing a baseball bat like a 19 year old though am afraid what it might really do inside if I had to do so regularly.  So though am a good case for an eternal gymnastic wonder also have arthritic fingers with weak strength barely able to open a jar of strawberry jam.

I know it is not going to get any better.  I really hate that we humans age from our youth.  Something we all know and have no choice but to accept.  Far worse is our human craturely mortality that robs us of our existence and conscious lifeforce.   Many just accept they will grown old, become useless, and eventually die, going back to the dust of the Earth, eternally gone, forever, infinitely.  Although reality seems to point to that being most likely, I have not capitulated to that hopelessly sad outcome.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 17
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If this is still a backpacking forum I'll go ahead and post---I'm 2 months shy of 64 and with increased age comes increased pack weight as my trips get longer.  It's not unusual to start out with a pack in the 90lb range---

Getting it up (the pack that is) is more of a problem as we get older.

Success!  Of course my mileage with such weight has dropped to 7 or 8 miles a day but who's keeping score?  The only score I like to keep is Lifetime Bag Nights Achieved, amen.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 18
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jer..do any resistance training? I'm at my half-century mark and don't have any problems with reasonable walking mileage or weight. Over the years I discovered walking, by itself, is not enough to keep the legs and joints in good condition. I regularly work out including wall squats, regular squats, lunges, burpees, and plank-variations to keep my core and legs strong. It's never too late to start.

Diet is important, as well, but I'll stop here for now.
 Post Number: 19
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember those days.  From a physical standpoint they were pretty good, with the exception of a few broken bones.  Enjoy it while you can, whether by yourself or with friends and family - and before we wreck too much more of the planet.

I'm 56 with knees that are starting to go bad.  Not a huge deal yet, but it's only a matter of time.
 Post Number: 20
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ May 09 2014, 12:06 pm)
I turned 65 last December and for the first time in my life, I'm really feeling my age.  I get tired much easier and my legs are hurting me, especially my knees, like never before. This morning my two mile walk with the dog really hurt. To the point it wasn't enjoyable.  I suppose that just comes with old age and a lifetime of abusing your body with too many bumps on the ski hills , too much biking big hills and too much boulder hopping in the mountains.  Sins of my youth, I suppose.  Anyway, it got me to thinking, while I don't think I'm the oldest on these boards, I'm think I'm close. I'm wondering who is and who is the youngest.  If you don't mind, chime in with your age and comments.

Hey Jer...look at it this way...at least, in your youth, you got out there and took advantage of the opportunities and fun times presented to you.

I'm 32, and starting to regret the things I didn't do in my 20s.
 Post Number: 21
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ May 09 2014, 9:08 am)

:)

is there any other kind of "invincible"?

btw .. enjoy that invincibility .. ironically, it's not forever. You'll see. :)

Cheers

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 22
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

55, and everything that backpacking and hiking can help still works pretty good-my heart, my knees, etc...
It's the other stuff that seems to be falling apart. I'd elucidate, but have already played the part of the grumpy old guy who only wants to talk about his medical stuff.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 23
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 36 and still mostly invincible, as long as I remember to take glucosamine.  :D

I'm 5'7, 198lbs and have spent my adult life working on my feet.  I wrestled, ran cross country, martial arts, rugby, lacrosse, went through Basic Training and the Police Academy.  My doctor tells me that one day both of my knees will need to be replaced, but we're hopefully a few decades away yet.  She also told me that I'm 30-40lbs overweight, but that if I'm happy with the extra muscle, she won't harp on me about it.  When the extra weight makes the knee pain unbearable, she'll help me cut the pounds.  Seemed like a good trade to me.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 24
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread would have been more interesting as a contest, like those guys at the carnival who guess ages...in so many ways, it's very, very hard to tell what age many of you are based solely on posts.

I'm six days from 69, a glorious number of some significance in terms of capacity and perversity. (Plenty of the former and an enduring penchant for the latter - of a sort, I guess: I lost track of the definition of the word in my 30s or 40s, in my "hippy days".)

-------------------------------------------

Totally irrelevant aside:

I adapted my current avatar during the recent "gay marriage wars" on TPA. No one has commented so far, though I suppose I didn't really expect any comment. Avatars I've used in the past, however, apparently induced some to think I was female (not!) or something else altogether.

FYI, in case you were interested: The picture is a classic photograph by Gilberte Brassai, the pseudonym of a relatively famous Hungarian photographer of the interwar period, entitled "Lesbian Couple at Le Monocle, 1932".

I admit some disappointment that no one asked about it. :)
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ May 09 2014, 4:37 pm)
I admit some disappointment that no one asked about it. :)

Well, to tell the truth, I didn't notice. Comes from being old, I guess.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 26
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far, the oldest at 69. Missed backpacking last year because of going to a psytrance camp out every month from early spring to late fall (and getting rained out on my one Colorado trip last year). I'm good for about 1-2 hours of dancing each night out there in the woods. Usually back to my tent ~2 am. The only way I see the sun come up on the dance floor any more is when I wake up early and wander down to where the dancers are. We'll see what this year brings.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 27
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

37 I think

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was 72 last December, still walking, can get up fairly steep hills, but slowly, and man, that ground is getting harder and lumpier every year.  

Was helping kindergarten class garden today, and it took me about a minute just to get up on my feet and straighten out.

Just more proof that youth is wasted on the young!!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ May 09 2014, 5:58 pm)
Was 72 last December

Amazing! My hat's off to you, you youngster, you.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

65.85  here. Reading down this thread there's an awful lot of "old ba$tards" around. The fact most of us can still walk is a plus I guess.  I hit the gym every day plus a 3 mile walk. Nothing hurts too much but arthritis is making itself known .  Keeping up with the 40-somethings is getting tougher. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
99 replies since May 09 2014, 12:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How old are you?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions