2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mtngrl and Woodsie's excursion today, Another spectacular day! (pics)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 8:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Part 1:
My good pal Mtngrl and I headed out for a day of adventure, and we were not let down. Never a boring minute when we go exploring  :D  

We headed west towards Buena Vista and upward to Cottonwood Pass. We wanted to check out the snow levels, and man, there was plenty of snow still on the ground! It is going to be a while before the snow melts enough to go backpacking up in that area.

From Cottonwood Pass, we dropped down the west side towards Taylor Reservoir, but storm clouds were quickly building and we headed back to the top of Cottonwood Pass. As we drove back up, we were hailed/snowed on, which was a bit stressful because the road was packed dirt. We were worried it would get slick fast. Fortunately, Mtngrl's expert driving got us back to the top of Cottonwood Pass and pavement.

View from Cottonwood Pass
 photo DSCN1866_zps0c19fb23.jpg

photo DSCN1868_zps1dcda66c.jpg

The storm
 photo DSCN1889_zps6d26b47d.jpg

When we left Cottonwood Pass, we headed to Antero Reservoir to see what birds we could find out there. (see part 2 below)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!  I just got back from an overnight in James a Peak wilderness.  Plenty of snow there too... had to wear snowshoes the whole way for an off-trail scramble up to Clayton Lake, but I did have the whole place to myself. :)  I got a bunch of wind and freezing rain last night, made for an interesting night bout I fared just fine.

Snow levels were pretty similar to what you have pictured there.  Creeks are all raging for a reason!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Part 2:
Near Antero Reservoir, we spotted these white pelicans circling high above. It was spectacular! Awesome! Breathtaking!

photo DSCN1900_zps4e988a39.jpg

photo DSCN1896_zps68e868d6.jpg

photo DSCN1903_zps833ec0ee.jpg

At the reservoir itself, we saw this pair of yellow-headed blackbirds
 photo DSCN1975_zps4fa6ee0f.jpg

And this American Avocet
 photo DSCN1934_zpsf21add92.jpg

From the reservoir, we headed towards Eleven Mile Reservoir, hoping to see the wild burros that live in the area. We didn't see them. We think they probably have foals at this time and are staying out of sight. But we did see another cutie
 photo DSCN1997_zps51a4c848.jpg

We saw lots of pronghorns in the distance, and this one up closer, soaking up some warm sunshine
 photo DSCN1988_zpsf13dd737.jpg

So chalk up another great day had by Mtngrl and Woodsie   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pictures like that make me miss having seasons.  Good job getting out there in it.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing, I needed that!

Every day should be an adventure  :)

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool beans ! I always love reading your reports.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey perfect!  The wife and I are taking that route Thursday..  I appreciate the ironic road report.
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2014, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a great trip.  I will be out there before PG and hope to go hiking with U'll.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2014, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, snow! Thanks for the refresher.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2014, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome as always. I used to love gong over Cottonwood to get to Crusty But. Many thanks for sharing ladies.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2014, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ May 31 2014, 6:53 pm)
Cool!  I just got back from an overnight in James a Peak wilderness.  Plenty of snow there too... had to wear snowshoes the whole way for an off-trail scramble up to Clayton Lake, but I did have the whole place to myself. :)  I got a bunch of wind and freezing rain last night, made for an interesting night bout I fared just fine.

Snow levels were pretty similar to what you have pictured there.  Creeks are all raging for a reason!

Last year, I did this trip Memorial Day weekend.  There was plenty of snow, but I didn't need to put the shoes on.  I've been planning on heading up there again this year, so appreciate the report.

Did you head straight up the creek to the lake, or did you head up towards Crater Lakes and cut over?
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2014, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did the latter... headed toward Crater Lakes and cut over.  There was one very steep pitch to get up to a ledge that overlooks a couple hundred feet above Crater lakes, and beyond that it was a pretty straight shot over to Clayton lake, not a lot of substantially steep slopes to deal with.

Snow the whole way up though, after about a mile from the trailhead. Plenty walkable on the trail, but the shoes were appreciated on the scramble up from there.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see you did not post this on FB...gotta come here to see whatcha gals been up to.  Great photos and reads like a FUN day!
 Post Number: 14
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 2:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice!  THX for sharing.

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Snowpeak @ Jun. 03 2014, 9:07 pm)
I see you did not post this on FB...gotta come here to see whatcha gals been up to.  Great photos and reads like a FUN day!

There are pics and a mini-report over on FB  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mtn,

Is that LaPlata in that first pic?

EDIT: Obviously not. I just looked at the map. Maybe Yale?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 17
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing. Love the pics!

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 18
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The mountains in the first pic are NW of Cottonwood Pass, Lake Anne and Huron are on the other side of them,

Ha...  "expert driving"  !!!  That was white-knuckled driving with hail covering the road and the drop offs.  I didn't want to stop to put it in 4WD, because it might be too slick to get moving again.  But it was a good day.  Lots of water, man, lots of it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 19
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures.

The wife and I have spent a lot of time over the years - though now some time ago - walking trails that start along the road up to Cottonwood Pass. For a long time, Buena Vista was a favorite stopover while we were in Colorado. Good memories. I keep hoping I'll get back up there again soon, but it hasn't worked out for some time now.
18 replies since May 31 2014, 8:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mtngrl and Woodsie's excursion today
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions