2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TIPS on getting in to the new forums:, The time is coming, be ready!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 5:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know the transfer of content was scheduled for a day ago, and I actually expected the new forum to be open by today! Okay, another day or so of delay, but this gives a chance to get yourself ready:

First thing to do: some of you mentioned not being sure of what email is attached to your account! Well, click open the link for Your Control Panel (it's right there under your Welcom..., above the messages). Look under Summary (the first tab) and there it shows the email you will need to log in to the new forum.

If that email is no longer correct, use it anyway; it is the key to the forum, and you can change it later.

2. Save your avatar if you love it! Avatars are not transferred, so every account starts out with no avatar. Keep yours on your desktop (click and holed, then drag a copy to your desktop), it's very easy to load into your account. It's WAY easier than it ever was here. I have already put together a "How to..." to explain the steps if you need to check.

3. I'm sure it won't be popular, but there are no signatures! Not because they weren't moved. There simply is no space for a sig under your messages. I can tell you how to beat the system, but I may want to hold off on doing that. We'll see. Or maybe you will figure it out by yourself.

4. I am personally happy to see that the automatic quoting of every single word of a message is not happening anymore. You can still copy a few salient points and paste them into a new reply, but the author name is not included, and you will want to do a small bit of styling to set it out from your comments. This will make more sense when you see it.

5. Sadly, while avatars will upload to the BP server, there is no method to upload a picture! You will have to rely on Photobucket or some other storage site. You will need to copy the link info and paste it into your message. It's too bad it isn't easier, but based on the gazillion images in the basement of this software (images that are wrong, too big, too old, forgotten, renamed and missed, etc.,) I guess it's better to not start a new junkyard.

When the new forums are ready, you will come "here" and be redirected. You will need to reset your password; just use your current password  and that will reset the new software. Obviously there will be glitches, and I am the one you will contact! Such fun for me; all I can then do is forward your message to the keeper of passwords and then I guess I will get that info and send it back to you? Too strange, but that's how it will work.

So get ready, it's happening,...And soon.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will there be a TPA? Can I post naked pictures of my dog? Does it stick to the wall or ceiling when it's al dente?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do YOU care? You'll be on Mars.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Jun. 03 2014, 3:23 pm)
What do YOU care? You'll be on Mars.

That's cold.

Like -81C cold.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/instruments/environsensors/rems/
 Post Number: 5
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will the old links still work to get back here and share an old thread, even if there are no new comments being added?

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mars is for marmots.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ Jun. 03 2014, 5:05 pm)
Will the old links still work to get back here...

Well, no. There won't be any "here" here! But you do remind me that I failed to mention that all posts made in te last two months will not be making the trip! So while all the old content gets moved, the new stuff, no! So the fevered bump-athons to save stuff are useless.

I have no clue as why there is a chunk of fresh (as it were) data won't get moved. But AC warns of this in his pinned announcement.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What could possibly go wrong  :)

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Okay, another day or so of delay, but this gives a chance to get yourself ready"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMoH55T-oI

Good luck, Steve. We're all counting on you.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 10
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 03 2014, 6:11 pm)
Will there be a TPA? Can I post naked pictures of my dog? Does it stick to the wall or ceiling when it's al dente?

And can we post questionnaires about our engineering thesis for gear to improve backpacking or ask our fellow backpackers about their favorite tips for surviving suburban hostels? And what about astrology?

And most importantly, can we post yoga pictures?

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtnsteve @ Jun. 03 2014, 6:48 pm)
What could possibly go wrong  :)

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Relax folks. It's not like we're all vying to be the first person to register.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13
Snowpeak Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do I save my avatar?
 Post Number: 14
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try mouth to mouth.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2014, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jun. 03 2014, 7:57 pm)
Relax folks. It's not like we're all vying to be the first person to register.

As DD gets in line  :laugh:

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody is asking the important questions like, "Will I keep my post count this round...."

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 17
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you mean..."This week" as in..."this week this year" or just "this week" in this century....?

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 6:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Snowpeak @ Jun. 03 2014, 11:05 pm)
How do I save my avatar?

(wwwest @ Jun. 03 2014, 11:09 pm)
Try mouth to mouth.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!   :D  :D  :laugh:  :D  :D
 Post Number: 19
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 6:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So... I can actually start my thread today telling each and every one of you how much I hate you, and as long as we move in the next two months, it won't matter?

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Snowpeak @ Jun. 03 2014, 8:05 pm)
How do I save my avatar?

Drag it to your desktop. It copies to there.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are we referring to "this week" as the current week, the upcoming week as in the following week, or in the general sense of some week in the future...?

--------------
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 04 2014, 11:07 am)
Are we referring to "this week" as the current week, the upcoming week as in the following week, or in the general sense of some week in the future...?

Updates weekly.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, here's the address of our backup site:

http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I kind of feel like a school kid on a field trip in to the city.  Everyone needs hold hands with two other people so nobody gets left behind.  We'll regroup on Facebook.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 25
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 04 2014, 9:07 am)

September 2013.

Er, I mean this week.

In 2016.

Or something.

:p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm taking some trail mix, bread crumbs, and two liters of gin in case I get lost.
 Post Number: 27
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yawn....I never did like the fable of the little boy who cried wolf.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Jun. 04 2014, 10:43 am)
I never did like the fable of the little boy who cried wolf.

I'm only the messenger. I will say that AC sent out a note to the "team" that he was called away for the week for a family situation (nothing dramatic, just not my business to explain!)

Patience will be rewarded.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really?  There's money involved?

--------------
 Post Number: 30
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2014, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Jun. 04 2014, 11:26 am)

(Woodswoman @ Jun. 04 2014, 10:43 am)
I never did like the fable of the little boy who cried wolf.

I'm only the messenger. I will say that AC sent out a note to the "team" that he was called away for the week for a family situation (nothing dramatic, just not my business to explain!)

Patience will be rewarded.

Oh, good.

I can still make 10,000 posts before the switch over.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
74 replies since Jun. 03 2014, 5:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TIPS on getting in to the new forums:
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions